What does FZ stand for?

Possibly related, on my Yamaha 4 stroke OB engine, its an F150, the "F" being for FOUR stroke, 150 HP. That's not a guess, thats what the dealers use for looking up parts, etc...

As for the Z, ??

Back in the old days early 70's AT1's (enduro's) mid to at least late 70's MX racing dirt bikes, "YZ's"

Ok, I'll got with F for 4 stroke and Z for Zen - perfectly sums up my riding on her.

Actually, I believe, the new Yamaha YZF's are FOUR STROKES.

Years ago, when they started fazing (no pun intended) out two strokes, It seemed Yamaha began using the letter F to indicate it was a four stroke engine.

That is indeed what they do on all outboard engines. If it has a letter F at the beginning of the model, its a four stroke... If no F, its a 2 stroke...

Last edited:
I always thought FZ was short for Fazer like you all have said already.

I tend to relate it to a phase shift thought. If any of you are into electronics and telecommunications - we often use phase shifts and phase angles which is either the leading or lagging of a voltage or current in relation to the source. If the output leads the source, there's a phase angle for the circuit.

So I always relate the Fazer to a phase angle - in that my FZ is like experiencing a phase shift. It moves so fast that you literally experience a phase shift while riding it.

I always chuckle to myself when we talk about phase angles. I know its not the answer you were looking for but thats always my interpretation haha.

Back