What do we think of this?

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the 'official' picture.

Honda-VFR-1200-V4-560x396.jpg

Do you know if that's a production model or a concept?

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Shaft drives, FTMFW!

Imagine never having to clean or lube a chain again, or worry about belt wear or breakage. Not having to clean the chain lube off the entire left side of the bike.

There's some BMW owners that would disagree with that statement, heh. And probably some Buell owners that would disagree with the belt statement. And shaft drives aren't maintenance free. Actually a belt might be the best low maintenance, low cost solution in the end. Unfortunately it's also low tech and you'll never hear anyone say, "wow, that sexy belt drive really makes your bike!" :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait to hear Hellgate on this one........He loves Honda's :rolleyes:

Kinda goofy looking to me, headlight doesn't look finished, and shaft drive has always looked douchy.......

Looks dorky to me. Like a BMW got caught in a transformers movie. The headlight looks just like the transformers logo thing. Looks very heavy too. Oink, oink... 600 lbs? The current VFR is a nice looking bike but boy is it heavy.

The muffler looks terrible too. It looks like, like a toaster oven, or maybe a blender, or an expresso machine. Naw, then it would be a BMW.

I must be getting old but why do vehicles have to have a "face"? Just make it what it is, a motorcycle...er...the Sears small appliance department in this case. :rolleyes:

I wonder it Honda will continue to make the ST1300 when this is released? Seems like they are aimed at the same target.

I know shaft drives have come a million miles from the 80's but shaft jacking is a really scary thing on a twisty road. It makes it hard to trail throttle and not have small parts, like mufflers, drag.

Oh, and knowing Honda, it will have a personality of a cinder block. :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's some BMW owners that would disagree with that statement, heh. And probably some Buell owners that would disagree with the belt statement. And shaft drives aren't maintenance free. Actually a belt might be the best low maintenance, low cost solution in the end. Unfortunately it's also low tech and you'll never hear anyone say, "wow, that sexy belt drive really makes your bike!" :thumbup:

Ask Fred about BMW shaft drives.

Belt drives are nice, from the 1700 miles I've put on one. Very light, take less power than a chain, clean and very quiet. However...some Buell owners have had them break at about 25,000 miles, but most last a very long time. The other draw back is Buell doesn't make a variety of sizes of cogs, only two for the 1125 series.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm lovin' the swing arm, but like many on this site, I cant stand fairings. I hate the front fairing on my bike. I wish all bikes and people were naked, well, maybe not all people, but definetly the good looking ones.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I know Honda's are built strong but this one just isnt built pretty. Looks like a faired version of the Kawasaki's Versys and its ugly too.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These are not performance testers, they are engineers that are testing EFI at desert temperatures at low speed - apparently.

This also isn't the final fairing version. Some of the headlights are covered up and some other bits and pieces are different.

That was my first thought too about the riders - but it's funnier my way LOL

I like the "official" photo better too. We're all used to seeing prototypes disguised or altered from production, so it isn't a surprise that the one in the photos doesn't look pretty. If the actual bike looks like the "official" photo, it does have some appeal - to VFR fans.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I must be getting old but why do vehicles have to have a "face"? Just make it what it is, a motorcycle...er...the Sears small appliance department in this case. :rolleyes:

I can't answer any of the other questions, but I can the face one... Apparently car drivers recognise bikes with a 'face' MUCH more easily than they do ones that don't. So in a word, they are safer. Go figure.