Went for a trip along the French coast (pics inside)

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I bought myself a brand new 2007 FZ6 S2 Fazer (in sexy red ;) ) 8 weeks ago. It is my first bike, and I picked it up from the dealer the same day I passed for my driver's license exam.

I can't tell you how in love I am with this bike :cheer: It's everything I've dreamed of. I did a lot of research before purchasing, looked at different models, but with the Fizzer, it just clicked.

I have ridden a couple of other bikes in the past weeks, among them a Suzuki GSX-R 600, a FZ1 Fazer and a Yamaha MT-01. As a n00b, it felt so great being able to return to my FZ6 afterwards. She's so smooth and comfortable (I'm 6"3), and she gives me plenty of confidence. I'm even wondering why I'm typing this post. I could be out there riding her right now! :rockon:

Anyways, in 8 weeks I put about 2700 miles (4200km) on her. I live in Belgium, and last weekend I made a 300 mile trip along the French coast in the Northwest of the country (Calais - Boulogne region).

Here are some pics. Never mind the dirty windscreen, I "forgot" to clean her last week.

See you on 2 wheels!

01_sangatte.jpg

02_cap_blanc_nez.jpg

03_cap_blanc_nez.jpg

07_cap_griz_nez.jpg

08_richting_wissant.jpg

06_boulogne_plage.jpg

B

bluenova

Great pics! I went down to Wollonia (Spa) on Saturday and it was so nice to be on twisty roads, it reminded me how flat and straight Flanders can be. I will certainly be looking to do a trip to France in the near future, their roads are sooo nice!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Excellent! Looks like a great ride. I'm just across the channel and am planning on going over to France for a weekend trip as soon as Mrs. Doorag is comfortable leaving the baby with her parents.

H

HavBlue

Great pics. In pic 1 there are gaps in the white centerline. Can you legally pass in areas like that turn?

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the reactions guys :)

@ bluenova : I live near Ghent in Belgium, so it's a pretty long ride to Spa. Can you recommend some cool twisties that you have discovered in that area? I'd like to go up there sometime soon.

@ keira : I started around Dunkerque, and followed the coast to Calais, Sangatte, Cap Blanc Nez, Wissant, Cap Griz Nez, Ambleteuse, Wimereux to Boulogne (and then back, there are great panoramas behind every corner). You can't miss, there's only one road there. Great smooth asphalt, and there wasn't alot of traffic.

@ havblue : good question. I have no idea if you can legally pass, so I assumed you can ;)

B

bluenova

@ bluenova : I live near Ghent in Belgium, so it's a pretty long ride to Spa. Can you recommend some cool twisties that you have discovered in that area? I'd like to go up there sometime soon.

I live near Aarschot, so it was a fairly long ride for me too especially as I took the national roads all the way down instead of the motorway. I think next time I will take the motorway through Flanders and go onto the national roads once in Wollonia. I had the GPS with me which recorded my route so I'll do a print screen of my route when I get home from work and post it here.

B

bluenova

Great pics. In pic 1 there are gaps in the white centerline. Can you legally pass in areas like that turn?

Hav, You can legally pass as long as there isn't a solid line on your side...

-------------------------
:Sport:
Ok to pass

-------------------------
:Sport:
Not ok for you to pass but ok for traffic coming the other way. (If driving on the right as in France)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes you can pass on these lines.

If you look at the other photo lower down you can see the lines are very long and the gaps are short. They are done like this on purpose so at night when you are driving and you see this configuration of lines you know there is a hazard on the road. A hill, a bend etc. After you pass the hazard the lines become shoter lines with wider gaps.

If there is a solid white line on your side of the road it is illegal to overtake. There are exceptions to that rule but for the sake of this simplified explanation that is the general rule.

And there endeth the lesson.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a trip planned from denmark to Normandy next month with my girlfriend on the back. Then a week riding around Normandy and a ride back to Denmark.

It was going to a blast down the motorway but having seen these pics it could now be turn right at Gent and a nice ride all the way down the coast to Normandy.

Great pics..I am even more excited now.

Steve

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are some amazing photos. You have me daydreaming from the confines of my fabric cubicle walls. I miss Europe. Never lived there, but spent a month last Summer traveling through it. So much beautiful scenery like this. Thanks for the share.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site

@ havblue : good question. I have no idea if you can legally pass, so I assumed you can ;)

Yes you can legally pass at those points, i'd say its a brave move to do but since the road is fairly easy to see ahead you should be able to see oncoming traffic with no problems...no hedges on the sides of the road helps...

And can I just say that the photographs are absolutely amazing!!! I've never been to france...although I'm so so close but i'm reserving that for a special occasion! :) (if ya know what i mean...)