Went camping

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Back in high school, I used to play Boy Scout, and made some really good friends in doing so. One is the best man in my wedding, coming up in a couple weeks. The other is active duty in the Army and in question as to whether or not he can even make it, but that's beside the point.

The 3 of us used to spend at least one weekend a month wandering about the woods, hiking and camping. Now that we're older, married, and have kids (one does), those days are over, so we try to get together at least once a year for a weekend of relaxing in the woods, doing stupid stuff. We've also gotten to inviting some other friends we've made over the years. This year was the biggest turnout with 6 people (the limit for a group in the Adirondacks is 8).

This year's destination was Long Pond, outside Saranac Inn, North of Tupper Lake, in the Adirondacks of NY.

The pictures are limited, and most aren't that good, but I wanted to share anyway.

Dacks 09 - a set on Flickr

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool man. My buddies and I have been trying to keep a similar scenario going, but we call it "spring break" and head down to my parents house in FL for a week. It is getting harder and harder to accomplish and none of us are even married or anything, just spread out around the Northeast.

I've yet to make it out to the 'dacks, but from what I hear it's amazing. Maybe later this summer I'll finally make it out.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool man. My buddies and I have been trying to keep a similar scenario going, but we call it "spring break" and head down to my parents house in FL for a week. It is getting harder and harder to accomplish and none of us are even married or anything, just spread out around the Northeast.

I've yet to make it out to the 'dacks, but from what I hear it's amazing. Maybe later this summer I'll finally make it out.

Bring bug spray. 100% DEET is the only thing that'll work. If you camp overnight, hang a bear bag too. Most places you don't need it, but the last thing you want to do is wake up in the middle of the night with a bear eating your breakfast before you can. There are a lot of "rules" to camping in the 'Dacks. The biggest thing is to follow the Leave No Trace principles. It keeps things nice longer so more people can enjoy it.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time and you're fortunate to have the time to do it. All my friends are spread out far and wide so it's a few years before we can get together.

This reminds me of a movie.... "Without a Paddle." :D See any snarling deer on the river banks? :rof:

Enjoy... as I am in envy!!!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a great time and you're fortunate to have the time to do it. All my friends are spread out far and wide so it's a few years before we can get together.

This reminds me of a movie.... "Without a Paddle." :D See any snarling deer on the river banks? :rof:

Enjoy... as I am in envy!!!

My one buddy (best man) has been in Burma for the past year, and is only "home" for 6 weeks. We actually had to schedule our wedding around him being in the states. Before that, he lived in Vermont. My buddy in the Army has served 4 tours in Iraq, so he's missed out on most of the trips as well. It was really nice to get all 3 of us together.

The 4th guy lives up in Maine and drove 7 hours to camp.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What years were you in the Army? Thanks for serving! And let your friends know that their service is very much appreciated too!

I served from 82 - 86 and was lucky as it was all peace time. I never got to leave the states expect out of boredom and taking military hops for kicks.

We're going to see my best man, an Army buddy, in Sept. He is in Michigan. :thumbup:

Where's the guy in Maine live? I am from Old Town, ME originally. I only moved to NH in '98.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
What years were you in the Army? Thanks for serving! And let your friends know that their service is very much appreciated too!

I served from 82 - 86 and was lucky as it was all peace time. I never got to leave the states expect out of boredom and taking military hops for kicks.

We're going to see my best man, an Army buddy, in Sept. He is in Michigan. :thumbup:

Where's the guy in Maine live? I am from Old Town, ME originally. I only moved to NH in '98.

I never served, just him. Bad knees, and a fear of being yelled at kept me out of the military, though there are times I regret that decision. The guy in Maine lives in the Auburn/Lewiston area, but he grew up not too far from where I live now.