Well, that's certainly one way to do it...

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see much FJR under this gadgetry... Honda got you all fooled - this is the new, sportier, less faired version of Goldwing in testing - they just put Yamaha logo on it to confuse you, and you bought it. :BLAA:

no, but seriously... what's up with 3 GPS units?

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, you can't quite see it, but I'm curious... where is his fuse panel?

MEM%20100amp%20fuses%20on%20three%20phase%20supply.jpg

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. I am as geographically challenged as they come, but dam :eek:

2. I just want to be within a 1/4 mile with an EMP bomb, ya know, just to see what would happen :rolleyes:

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
This thing has more redundant systems than a 747. Four GPSes (not including the locator), two tank bags (to match the two tanks?), two radar detectors, three pointing styluses, two music players, six headlights. Maybe he has no faith in his wiring skills?

Only one cell phone though - and it's about to fall out of it's holder.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
Rest and assure, the auto pilot is in good order. You can safely take a nap or watch you movie while crossing the county.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only thinking of 1 thing..... How the hell is he going to power all of that stuff?? :eek: That would need some serious charging system :eek:
Maybe he has some kind of miniature nuclear power plant in one of the saddle bags :BLAA:
Grtz,

Degake

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only thinking of 1 thing..... How the hell is he going to power all of that stuff?? :eek: That would need some serious charging system :eek:
Maybe he has some kind of miniature nuclear power plant in one of the saddle bags :BLAA:

That's the reason for the extra fuel tank - it feeds the APU!

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Grtz,

Degake

Flux Capacitor. ;)

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
This is most likely an IBA Rally prepared motorcycle(The ride starts on July 1st). If so, he/she is getting ready to ride in a 13 day ~13,000 mile rally to collect as many points as possible. Most IBA rally riders will use multiple GPS devices for redundancy and will also keep alternate route options in each to give them choices based on weather, accidents, etc.

This person will likely catch short sleeps near the bike at rest stops, so there is little to no time for altering/entering GPS data on the fly.

This type of riding is no joke, I did almost 8,000 miles in 10 days earlier this year on my FZ6(which doesn't come close to the difficulty of 13k miles in 13 days) and it really took a toll on me physically. So the less they have to stop for fuel, GPS issues, etc., the more rest they can get when they stop for rest. In all, he/she will likely be on the bike quite a but more than off the bike for those 13 days, so comfort and safety are huge factors in all the stuff you see on the bike.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wanting to add a few extras on my bike but need to figure out a way to wire it all. I've been thinking of a fuse block or something similar.

You can build your own auxillary fuse box for under $25, or buy a premade one for <$50. Premade, the Centech and Fuzeblock units are nice, Motorcycles FUZEBLOCKS.COM.

I made my own. Standard five pin relay provides power, switched by the tailight. Simple six point fused block provides positive power. Jumped barrier strip links the grounds. Not pretty, but it works and I never have to look at it.

IMG_2604.jpg

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is most likely an IBA Rally prepared motorcycle(The ride starts on July 1st).

That makes sense. Dang, that's hardcore - triple-redundant GPS units. I was considering doing IBA, but (aside from the obvious physical torture), i wouldn't want to do THIS to my bike. I'm still considering doing one of the SaddleSore, but anything this hardcore isnt my cup of tea. A geek in me is impressed though.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
This is most likely an IBA Rally prepared motorcycle(The ride starts on July 1st). If so, he/she is getting ready to ride in a 13 day ~13,000 mile rally to collect as many points as possible. Most IBA rally riders will use multiple GPS devices for redundancy and will also keep alternate route options in each to give them choices based on weather, accidents, etc.

This person will likely catch short sleeps near the bike at rest stops, so there is little to no time for altering/entering GPS data on the fly.

This type of riding is no joke, I did almost 8,000 miles in 10 days earlier this year on my FZ6(which doesn't come close to the difficulty of 13k miles in 13 days) and it really took a toll on me physically. So the less they have to stop for fuel, GPS issues, etc., the more rest they can get when they stop for rest. In all, he/she will likely be on the bike quite a but more than off the bike for those 13 days, so comfort and safety are huge factors in all the stuff you see on the bike.

Aha, an explanation! Thanks, that puts everything in perspective.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I was a little off with the days, it's actually only 11 days and the winners regularly clock over 13,000 miles.

If anyone is interested in following the ride, they will be posting updates here: IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders.

My recollection of the way it works is that they give the riders their packets with the first 5 days worth of information on checkpoints the night before it starts, they have to plan strategy and routes before the start(hence the multiple GPS devices), they have to plan over 5 days and 6,000 miles before leaving. Then they have to get to a checkpoint the 5th or 6th day for a mandatory rest where they are given the second half of checkpoints and information.

This ride always has a few "sucker" bonuses which are seemingly(sometimes actually) impossible checkpoints, but sometimes people go for them, last time 3 people went to Alaska and back.

Here's an interesting article for more information: 2011 Iron Butt Rally Motorcycle Long-Distance Results | Rider Magazine

This stuff really interests me and hopefully I have enough time and money to do this someday.

Last edited:

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
Go to a Iron Butt dinner and peruse the gadgetry on the bikes in the parking lot. My Concours was set up for IBA rides, never did the IBA rally though but have many friends who have.

I also have an auxiliary tail dragger fuel cell for my concours, it's still in the garage. It's nice to be able to do nearly 500 miles between fillups. But then again I do a lot of cross country riding. I was looking into a custom main tank for the FZ, then decided it's just not the right platform to convert to a long distance bike.

If you like the FJR my buddy John Ryan put something like 300k miles on one in a little over 2 years. Yamaha ended up sponsoring him and it was his bike that taught yamaha what to change in the later models.

His craziest ride was Dead Horse Alaska, the furthest point north west in the US to the Rock in Key West, the furthest point south east in something like 95hrs flat. A Distance of nearly 6k miles.

Oh the multiple GPS setups are ther eas the other guy pointed out for multiple route options and bonuses. Setting up a GPS for the IBA rally takes hours and hours in front of a pc with mapsource and if you know how much mapsourse sucks you know half the time it crashes and you just lost all your data. Also, certain Zumos like to lose all data after a few thousand miles of continuous use. Which can be REALLY annoying when you're in the middle of nebraska at 3am and are trying to find a wacky bonus where the only thing you know about it is it's gps coordinates.