Well folks, that's all she wrote for this FZ

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although its easy to assume that Wheelies are to blame for such a thing, don't underestimate the power of vibrations under load.

That is; the engine is stronger than the frame. If the frame is clamped to the engine and under stress, in due time it can crack. The possible preventive measure is to loosen the engine mounting points (all of them) and allow the engine to settle into a "NO LOAD/NO PRESSURE" position and re-tighten the bolts.

That being said, I have nothing to loose by loosening the swing arm, engine mounts, and rear brace to the tail section to make certain the frame is not being stressed. If your bike has ever been down, this would be a good preventive measure.

IF you want to know if it moves when the bolts are loosened; place some tape over the jointed sections and see if it wrinkles. i.e. between frame and engine at the mounting points and the rear brace.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Always could be worse. In 1985, a friend and I rode bikes to Canada. About 10% into the ride home, he discovered a cracked frame on his XS1100. He decided to say f--k it and we rode home. He welded the frame and then rode that bike to California.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Crazy

Sorry to hear of your damage. Bummer.

And if you're not going to fix it, and have all of that metal repair experience, I think that means that our frames are pretty much a non-repairable item....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Certain year Honda Goldwings (I know some 04's but my vin was NOT in it) had a re-call for cracked/cracking frames toward the underneath of the bike.

You'd bring the bike to Honda, they'd strip the frame down to where they needed it, and subbed it out for welding. It was rare to replace the frame. It was aluminum, I don't think it was hollow/boxed like the FZ.

There are very, very few crack issues (not including crashes) on the FZ6, I hear certain FZ1's had some frame cracking issues.

Admittted pounding of the frame, (landings from wheelies) with an stressed frame/engine configuration, would indeed transfer a bunch of additional load to that area inbetween the engine and swing arm.

Its possible vibrations could do it, but looking at the history of failures, or LACK OF, for the FZ6 would point strongly in that direction, (that of course, is my humble opinion and at this point, is moot anyway)

Looking forard to seeing an FZ6 Cart!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are very, very few crack issues (not inclusing crashes) on the FZ6, I hear certain FZ1's had some frame cracking issues.

FZ1 was always at the weld though (same weld)

12102008247.jpg

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Squid! :Flip:
I have a friend with (I believe?) an '05 FZ1 who's frame also cracked. Yamaha replaced the frame free of charge. Just don't tell 'em 'bout all the wheelies 'n stuff. :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Squid! :Flip:
I have a friend with (I believe?) an '05 FZ1 who's frame also cracked. Yamaha replaced the frame free of charge. Just don't tell 'em 'bout all the wheelies 'n stuff. :spank:

It was probably 06 or newer. 05 and older has steel frame.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
All this cracked frame talk I'm, going by Yamaha Monday for sure and show them these threads where Yamaha fixed it free. The old beater may not be dead yet....

blu3

Reaction score
Visit site
All this cracked frame talk I'm, going by Yamaha Monday for sure and show them these threads where Yamaha fixed it free. The old beater may not be dead yet....

If you have no luck with your dealer, get the details for Yamaha Japan and fire off a few emails with pictures etc.....good luck dude and keep us posted!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 was always at the weld though (same weld)

12102008247.jpg

I remember seeing that pic sometime ago. I'm not sure if it was a weld without enough penetration, poor design, or ? Heck you can see all the dirt and crap where he laid it down too!

Chevy's crack isn't weld related... I thought I saw just few threads on the frame cracking in the same place as his (on an FZ6) awhile ago, it may have crash related, but certainly worth a good Googling...

And CF, I'd just print out certain portions of this thread for Yamaha and wouldn't bring up anything about wheelies.

Good luck

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well well well, the beater might get beat on some more lol

Just out of curiosity, if it comes to a part out, would there be any interest in my "dash" pretty much it would be a ready built naked/fighter kit

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok wait wait wait guys
My frame is cracked too, had it welded about 3 years ago and it HAS held.
Was an aerospace engineer that welded it though, NOT for your local bike shop.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/24655-frame-cracked.html

The cause was the lower engine mounting bolt that wasn't tightened correctly by a mechanic (not yamaha). Obviously 6 months down the line i wasn't going to get any joy from them.

Frame you can get on ebay, and you can weld it ... but like i said, get an expert to do it, you'll need to strip the frame down of course.

Yamaha told me straight that the bike can handle wheelies, but personally i never wheelie, so i know nothing about that.

Sorry about the trouble, hope you sort it out ok :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have med-gas certs and nuke-certs from when I was pipefitting in hospitals and nuclear power plants and those are some of the hardest welding certifications to get, although they are expired now the know how isn't. And then to back that up I'm FFA-Aerospace certified in metallurgy (although that's a never ending learning process) So basically I know I could weld it and even bring it into work and throw it in a vacuum furnace after to normalize it and try and put some hardness back in it and the chances of it ever cracking again would be slim to none. But knowing my luck, the amount of time and money invested in the bike, vs what the bike is worth, I just can't justify doing anything else to it unless Yamaha foots the bill. Plus I honestly don't think I'd ever feel the same confidence riding it again if I welded it, just a mental thing.

I just realized my dealer isn't open today so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
That suck big time! That could be welded but aluminum is a B*&^. Not that it's hard to weld but it pull and bend like a mtrfkr.

If you decide to try to fix it and get few miles out of it until you get a new ride I would drill a 3/32" hole right at the end of the crack to stop it to go any further.

I would contact Yamaha at first and see what happen. Good luck!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok wait wait wait guys
My frame is cracked too, had it welded about 3 years ago and it HAS held.
Was an aerospace engineer that welded it though, NOT for your local bike shop.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/24655-frame-cracked.html

The cause was the lower engine mounting bolt that wasn't tightened correctly by a mechanic (not yamaha). Obviously 6 months down the line i wasn't going to get any joy from them.

Yamaha told me straight that the bike can handle wheelies. . .

I would have to agree that it just doesn't add up that it'd crack there from doing wheelies. As stated above its an assumption with no facts. There are other areas of the frame under greater load from wheelies than that area. My vote stands with the engine being stronger than the frame and that frame was stressed by the engines mounting points.