Water Wetter?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't comment since I've never used it before, but it appears to be an interesting product. I don't see the need, though...I don't race, and my engine temp has never been an issue.
I'll be interested in the feedback from people who do use it, however.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, also there are threads about this. It works great! Only reason I switched is because I needed anti freeze for the winter. I may switch back know that the freezing temps has passed.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Water Wetter? WHY? Track = Yes, DD = NO!

Unless you are racing there is no need for it. It lacks long term anti-corrosion properties that lead to rust and oxidation inside the cooling system. Granted when New, it holds up for a while, but why go there? Why risk it? Esp if it could freeze at your local.. .. ..

Look at the water pump and seals from track bikes over a 2 year period and then a bike with conventional ethyl-glycol/water. WW will be rusty mess and the other fine for 5 years.

Not worth the risk for normal street use.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Water Wetter? WHY? Track = Yes, DD = NO!

Even if you're doing a lot of trackdays or getting into racing...you can just use distilled water on its own.

Unless you're running somewhere the track temps get really high or you are running long sessions and making your engine REALLY work I don't think it'd be a problem.

I've run distilled water on its own for 15-20 minute sessions on decently hot days (25-30 celcius) and never had any issues....even with an R1 which should put out more heat (...not sure what the volume is for fluids in the radiators for either the R6/FZ6/or R1)

That being said, I have heard of some of the quicker guys running really quick times on hot days having some overheating issues.

Many guys do run water wetter so it's not like it's a bad thing.

I'm just cheap I guess.

XD

/$0.02

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW; running water alone offers no lube to the seal and or any of the other anti-corrosion properties. Perhaps OK for short run - but picture your elbow across a gym floor. That's what the seal gets with a shaft spinning @10,000 RPM at its core.

Hence the Wetter part to keep the seal alive but not so devious as to slicken the track should you loose containment of yer fluids!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
don't think you're allowed water wetter when racing anyway

personally I'm a fan of regular anti-freeze, especially given the winters we experience here.

not sure corrosion is as big an issue on aluminium engines, but better safe than sorry.

I also don't think there's much cooling benefit, I'm not sure what it's like in hotter places, but I've never had a problem with my bike getting too hot

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Red Line now makes Water Wetter Super Cool that has anti-rust and lubricants and you can get it premixed.

The original water wetter was only to be used during racing and they recommended draining it after every race. It wasn't anything special, dish soap does the same thing.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Red Line now makes Water Wetter Super Cool that has anti-rust and lubricants and you can get it premixed.

The original water wetter was only to be used during racing and they recommended draining it after every race. It wasn't anything special, dish soap does the same thing.

Thanks Steve, and :welcome: to the forum. :cheer:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Watter Wetter was used in combination 80 % Distilled Water, 10-20 % Anti-Freeze.

I don't know, when the temperture hovered around 110 just about everyday during the summer, getting even into the teens, combined with the heat coming from the black asphault, I will take a 10-20 degree savings on the engine temps, so Water Wetter it was.