Warranty - ever used it?

Have you ever had free warranty work done on your bike?

• Total voters

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I never have. I thought about it though.

My bike won't start in gear. I thought I read in the manual that it should with the clutch pulled so I was going to take it in for them to look at it, but never got around to it.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have.

My first bike was a CBR250RR (still have it). I got it from a dealer second hand, took a risk as I bought it from a picture he had. He then goes to Japan and brings them back to Ireland.
Anyway I got something like 6 month warranty with it. Was riding it the next day and began to loose power. It turned out the back brake was applying itself. If I tried to keep going it would eventually seize until it cooled down.
After this happened 6 times I rang him, he came out in his pickup and brought me to his garage. They changed pads and caliper but still was seizing. Eventually tracked it down to the master cylinder. A new one sorted it out.
I am glad I got my first bike from a dealer because if I was left to sort this out myself I would have been lost. Didn't have a clue about bike mechanics back then (not that I know much now).

:thumbup:

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site

My bike won't start in gear. I thought I read in the manual that it should with the clutch pulled so I was going to take it in for them to look at it, but never got around to it.

The clutch in and the side Stand MUST be up

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, clutch pulled as far as I can pull it and stands up, doesn't start unless I'm in neutral.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site

When my bike was delivered it had this behavior. I checked the Clutch switch and it was disconnected. Problem fixed.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked that - mine was too. Wonder why it came that way.

Anyway, didn't mean to threadjack -- proceed about warranties.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Besides my FZ6, my brother also has an FZ6 and my dad a V-Star 1300. In the last 12 years, we've had 8 different Yamaha snowmobiles as well, all purchased new, all sold or traded with at least 5000 miles on them. My current ride, 2007 Attak, has close to 7000 now after a trip to Ontario earlier this month. We've never had a single issue with any Yamaha product in our house. Any repairs that have ever had to be made have been to our own naivety or stupidity. In fact, on one of our sleds, a buddy busted the reverse handle off because he didn't know how to work it. Dealer got it fixed under warranty :thumbup:

Last edited:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, clutch pulled as far as I can pull it and stands up, doesn't start unless I'm in neutral.

When my bike was delivered it had this behavior. I checked the Clutch switch and it was disconnected. Problem fixed.

Just checked that - mine was too. Wonder why it came that way.

I just bought my 2009 FZ6 brand new with a warranty about 8 weeks ago and it started doing this same thing last week. I talked to the dealer it is covered under warranty so I was gonna bring it in but if it just something disconnected I'll do it myself.

Also I had to have the battery replaced (under warranty) just old and sat too long couldn't hold a charge.

Considering they threw in a four year manufacturers warranty to sweeten the deal when buying the bike I was cool with getting it otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten the warranty.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i had a reflector fall off after 3 days of ownership (due to them not putting loc-tite on it) and the dealer said thats the breaks.. had to buy a new one.. so i guess that means no...

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had my bike in for warranty work about a month after I bought it. I brought it home new in March, but wasn't able to ride it until early April. After the first ride or two I noticed a 'swishing' sound in the front end, worsening while braking. While riding with a buddy side by side, he noticed the sound when his visor was lifted. After a quick visual, we determined that the mechanic who had assembled the bike had installed both brake pads for the front right rotor onto the same side of the rotor. So the dual-stacked pads were rubbing all the time, and the piston(s) on the opposite side were touching the rotor. The dealership had to cover the labour and parts costs for a new rotor, caliper, and pads.

Other than that (which was an install error, not a Yamaha defect) the bike has and does run fine... Also, like most people here, I'm now out of warranty.

oregonative56

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto on the the clutch switch not connected!!! Strange that a minor detail like this was overlooked by multiple dealers.:confused:
And to answer the original question. No, never had warranty work done. However, only have about 2300 miles on odo, and it'll be a year old Saturday.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Of the eight bikes I have owned, only four of them were purchased new. Of those four, NONE ever required any warranty work whatsoever. Of all of them, my Fazer is my first Yamaha and I have to say that it is a cut above all the others. It just seems to be better "fitted together" than any of my previous bikes. That's just my biased unprofessional opinion!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The mighty XJR1300 had warranty work done on her.

Mike got home one day, around 30,000kms on the bike I think, rode down the driveway at home and the forks stayed down - wouldn't release back up! :eek:

Took her to the dealership and all works completed under warranty - took about a week, but all fixed :D

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I said yes as I had the Throttle Position Sensor replaced, but really I guess that was part of a recall, so maybe I should have voted no :don'tknow:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I said yes as I had the Throttle Position Sensor replaced, but really I guess that was part of a recall, so maybe I should have voted no :don'tknow:

Yeah, I think recall would have been covered for free even if you didn't buy the bike new and it was out of warranty.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2008 FZ6 with 2,200 miles on it for $4,300. I was able to get the in factory extended warranty on it so I did for three years. The cost was just over $500. Here is my reasoning. My wife was utterly against me getting a bike. If she would have had a better deal on a husband she may have divorced me. If the bike went down for big repairs I would have been in deep trouble coming up with the extra money to dump into it. Since I hadn't rode in twenty years I could not take the chance of getting that close to riding and having the bike go down.

At this point I don’t expect to use the warranty but I got it if something does go bad on the bike.

The way I baby that bike most likley I'll never have an issue.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a 5 year extended warranty with the new 2007 FZ6 in November, 2007. It's already been way over 3 years and the damn bike just keeps on purring. It just won't break! WTF?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, never used my 1 year factory warranty. The only issue I've ever had with my bike was a simple fix that took me literally 2 minutes to diagnose and repair.

After sitting in Winter storage from November 2008 to March 2009, my kickstand safety switch must have gotten a bit corroded since the bike would stall as soon as I put it in gear (the side stand was up before any of you ask).

I took some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed it where the plunger goes into the switch housing. I exercised the side stand through it's range of motion a few times and it's been fine ever since.

Last edited: