Warm-up

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Well another riding season is winding down - I think I maybe have another week or so left in the season. The morning commute air temp is averaging around -5C and daily highs are hitting a wonderful 8C.

However I was wondering how long should I be letting my bike warm up before riding it ? 30sec or wait until I see one bar on the temp gauge.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel injected engines can run nearly right away... Once the oil is circulated (30 secs or so) you can ride off... However, I would refrain from reving it too hard untill the engine fully warms up...

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I normally wait until the temp gauge changes from saying "Lo" to an actual numerical temperature. About the same time it takes me to put on my helmet and gloves. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel injected engines can run nearly right away... Once the oil is circulated (30 secs or so) you can ride off... However, I would refrain from reving it too hard untill the engine fully warms up...

+1! Perfect advice. Just let the RPM settle and ride off and take it easy until engine fully warms up.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1
+1

I agree with Lefty and Erci:thumbup:

I have been doing morning boat checks for too many years now and prefer to give my petrol's a little more time to warm up.

The diesels perform better under a load so warm up time is less of a concern.

Hmmmm, a diesel FZ6....BWHAA BWWHHAAAAA:BLAA:

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
motojoe122, my personal is the opposite, I warm up the diesels more. 2 trucks at work seem to really need to idle a bit but won't really come up much in temp or they don't drive well under load. my service truck with a 350 got less warm up time but this year I started hearing bad noise if drive without atleast a 2 minute warmup. My car at 214k I just drive always has had a valve tick. Of course I'm to close to the freeway so if I want any warmup it's idle at the house.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I normally wait until the temp gauge changes from saying "Lo" to an actual numerical temperature. About the same time it takes me to put on my helmet and gloves. :D

Me too :). It annoys Mike, but I always try to get her up to about 70'C before I ride - I'm in Perth. It only takes a minute or two :D

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site

I also go by this method. My warm up usually consists of the same time it takes to zip my jacket, put on helmet and gloves, and make sure headset is connected to phone.

Good advice here!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me too :). It annoys Mike, but I always try to get her up to about 70'C before I ride - I'm in Perth. It only takes a minute or two :D

I honestly don't think either approach will hurt the bike enough to do damage, but one school of thought says that warming up the bike while idling may actually be worse for it then just riding off.
Supposedly it heats up cylinders unevenly causing hot spots and possibly uneven wear. I've no idea if there's any truth to it :don'tknow:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly don't think either approach will hurt the bike enough to do damage, but one school of thought says that warming up the bike while idling may actually be worse for it then just riding off.
Supposedly it heats up cylinders unevenly causing hot spots and possibly uneven wear. I've no idea if there's any truth to it :don'tknow:

+1 .... also maintains higher oil flow/pressure when the revs are above idle... and on a minor note... it's just a plain waste of fuel....

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. There is lots of talk around here about warming vehicles. I usually just let my truck kick down from high idle and then start driving. But wasn't sure if a bike was different with the oil running around the clutch.

With the bike I have been starting it - get my helmet gloves etc on. Then I ride in 1st as long as I can without bringing the RPM's up until I see one bar on the temp gauge (usually a block or two). The bike is an 05 I'm not privileged enough to have an actual temp read out.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that the temp bars are only coolant temp coming out of the block...the oil is what you are worried about before riding it. I would let it idle at least 2 minutes in sub-freezing temps as the oil will be flowing but will be thicker when cold and not coating the internals well until it gets above 0C. I would feel the side of the engine block and wait until you can feel some warmth on your hand before riding...but that's just me. Keep the revs low for the first mile or 5.

I hate cold weather. Fortunately we have another month before it will start hitting the freezing point most nights.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that when I started the bike it idles in the 1800 rpm range, but then gradually automatically reduces the idle to around 1200 one it's "warm". I usually do what you guys do, start it up and complete my gearing up.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

This is good advice. I usually let mine idle as I pull on my coat, helmet, and gloves, (and let my Cardo Rider unit mate up to my cell). I then try to keep the revs really low for the first mile or so. Once my temperature gage shows something near 160 degrees F I wind it up considerable. (Riding very fast but still not winding it too tightly in each gear)
Safe riding!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess i am old school stuck in the days of cars with carberators. I always let my vehicle warm for a minute or 2 before I set out. Then I drive really pretty gently until it gets up to full operating temparature.

With the FZ the routine is to roll it out of the garage, start it, then put all my gear on and lately, I say a prayer to St. Christopher for my safe return home. By the time I am done with all that I have at least one bar and am ready to go.