Wandering around San Diego area

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got some time off so I'm wandering with my wife around San Diego and Los Angeles area visiting various places. I've took cage this time but I miss riding :)

I know there is strong group of members from this area. Can you guys share your favorite routes around here ? I will just travel around those roads imagining I'm on the bike :)

Traveling by car wouldn't by a good journey without meeting new people. Anyone would be interested in meeting for a dinner and talking about motorcycles ?:)

If so PM me. Today we're staying in Escondido but we can drive to meeting spot.

Last edited:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Palomar Mountain is lovely even if you aren't on a bike. Our local observatory is at the top, which might be a fun touristy thing to see (link here).

If you really want to drive, you can drive out to Borrego Springs via Montezuma Road. The best BLTAs are at Carlee's (link here).

Enjoy your visit!

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Palomar Mountain is lovely even if you aren't on a bike. Our local observatory is at the top, which might be a fun touristy thing to see (link here).

If you really want to drive, you can drive out to Borrego Springs via Montezuma Road. The best BLTAs are at Carlee's (link here).

Great suggestions ! Thank you ! Montezuma road looks damn good fun :) Can't wait to ride there ! Probably hit it by tomorrow.

Today we've did hike at Elfin Forest to Lake Hodges overlook. Great time and great views. It was good to be almost alone on a trial without so much crowd like on Hollywood Blvd :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually I'm available but jammed up the next few days. There are lots of little spots that are cool to visit in SD and You'll need quite a few days to see any of it.
Cool places to take the Mrs. out to are Little Italy area for a bite and maybe the Embarcadero. Tall ships a great walk toward the convention center. The Midway Aircraft carrier museum etc. Balboa park is fun on the weekend with street performers and lots of museums. Cabrillo Nat'l Monument. S.D. Zoo, Sea World. Old Town. You can hike Torrey Pines reserve and walk for miles along the ocean.
The Birch Aquarium. If you go to Little Italy, not far down India St. is the Vero Cafe for the best Gelato and you'll see GP Motors with Italian exotics on your way there.
To the east , over the mountains, you drop into the low desert. Anza Borrego desert.... :)

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Usually I'm available but jammed up the next few days. There are lots of little spots that are cool to visit in SD and You'll need quite a few days to see any of it.
Cool places to take the Mrs. out to are Little Italy area for a bite and maybe the Embarcadero. Tall ships a great walk toward the convention center. The Midway Aircraft carrier museum etc. Balboa park is fun on the weekend with street performers and lots of museums. Cabrillo Nat'l Monument. S.D. Zoo, Sea World. Old Town. You can hike Torrey Pines reserve and walk for miles along the ocean.
The Birch Aquarium. If you go to Little Italy, not far down India St. is the Vero Cafe for the best Gelato and you'll see GP Motors with Italian exotics on your way there.
To the east , over the mountains, you drop into the low desert. Anza Borrego desert.... :)

Too bad you're out of time. Thanks for suggestions. I'm trying to stay away from "tourist traps" and looking for small gems. There must be a connection between riding and hating crowds :) We will probably hang out in the area for couple days. I'm not eager to go back to SF Bay Area :/ Maybe we will head out to Sedona, AZ to see red rock butts. We will see what will come with the wind :)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad you're out of time. Thanks for suggestions. I'm trying to stay away from "tourist traps" and looking for small gems. There must be a connection between riding and hating crowds :) We will probably hang out in the area for couple days. I'm not eager to go back to SF Bay Area :/ Maybe we will head out to Sedona, AZ to see red rock butts. We will see what will come with the wind :)

Sedona is fun but also a tourist area. The views and colors are awesome. Lisa and I have hiked a lot of Sedona and crawled pretty far up a crevice on Bell Rock.

Joshua Tree Monument Park is also a beautiful high desert area to visit.

We don't relish crowds either but I guess because we live here we feel at home what ever is happening...

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
We've rode 78 today. Great road. It would be real pleasure to do it on motorcycle. In my "tanker" cage it was OK-ish. Being top heavy I had to be careful around some tight turns.

After that we've went to Anza Borrego ! What a great suggestion Motogiro ! I've did some research yesterday and found nice hike. I've never hiked on desert before, so today was test run before 10 mile loop tomorrow (Mine Peak - Slot Canyon - Canyon Sin Nombre). It was amazing experience for someone raised in european green fields. Can't wait till tomorrow.

Thanks again for suggestion ! This thing alone would be enough reason to do whole trip !

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We've rode 78 today. Great road. It would be real pleasure to do it on motorcycle. In my "tanker" cage it was OK-ish. Being top heavy I had to be careful around some tight turns.

After that we've went to Anza Borrego ! What a great suggestion Motogiro ! I've did some research yesterday and found nice hike. I've never hiked on desert before, so today was test run before 10 mile loop tomorrow (Mine Peak - Slot Canyon - Canyon Sin Nombre). It was amazing experience for someone raised in european green fields. Can't wait till tomorrow.

Thanks again for suggestion ! This thing alone would be enough reason to do whole trip !

I'm so glad you like it! There is a nice hike to Palm Oasis in Borrego. You may run into Big Horn Sheep. I've been very close to them (20 ft.) when they came off the mountain for water that comes from a stream at the Oasis. Also be alert, where there are sheep there are mountain lions. I usually turn and periodically walk backwards and check for movement. When you're out in these areas it's important to be prepared with some form of tactic of defense. I used to do a lot of off roading (Jeep Rubicon) out there and was able to access some places you would not be able to safely get to by regular vehicle. Be careful and aware in the badlands areas. There is the Slot and there are also the Mud Caves through Corrizo Wash area. Some of these areas may be unstable. Bring water! Be alert and have fun! :)

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back to Silicone Valley.

I had great time but unfortunately I was not able to meet with forum members from south.

Motogiro's advice to go to desert was awesome. I've spent two days hiking on Anza Borrego dessert and then I quickly headed to Joshua Tree where I've spent two days hiking and riding little off-road.

Those areas are truly amazing. Anza Borrego was so silent and empty (at least in the areas where we've been to). I've found great peace in sitting on top of Mine Peak in total silence.

I've also been reminded to never underestimate nature. As Motogiro mentioned those areas are pretty unstable. While doing down on one "gravel kind" of slope, it started sliding down. We've manage to escape to side of slide and stop (which resulted in nice cut on my hand) with too much drama but it made me shaky after :)

Joshua tree was little crowded for me and lacked that deserted feel like Anza which I loved.

Thank you all for your suggestions ! You've made our trip great and memorable !

I have just too much pictures to share and those are damn boring without context so I will just share three of them.

Badlands at Anza Borrego:
View attachment 51641

Me looking for "Holly Vault 13" :) (reference to "Fallout 2" computer game) at Anza Borrego:
View attachment 51642

Joshua Tree desert - view from Lost Horse Mine Peak:
View attachment 51643

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you had a good time! Thank you for the pics.
I was once lost in the badlands for 3 hours in 4X4. Pretty hard to pick a straight course out of the badlands but that's what I did and finally found a service road. then it was 5 miles on the dirt service road to a regular paved road. Lisa, my wife couldn't complain about me not asking for directions. :rolleyes:

Awesome spots out there and I love camping in Joshua Tree Monument. If there's no moon you can what satellites with the naked eye as well as lots of shooting stars. :)