VS1 install time?

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: VS1 install time? (updated, now with a few questions!)

Just got my VS1 kit. How much time should I plan for install? I'm new to bikes but I'm fairly competent when it comes to taking things apart and putting them back together.

Last edited:

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say 2 hours, maybe more. I think removing the stock headlight assembly & fairings take up most of the time. It should be fairly easy to install once you organize all the nuts and bolts. I'm happy with my kit. I still need to go back and clean up all the wires... buuuuut.... i'm lazy. lol :BLAA:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Give yourself a few hours. I laid mine out on the kitchen table to see what went where, then fit it to the bike. I think I put it on once to check the fit, then took it apart again and made all my electrical connections.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Give yourself a few hours. I laid mine out on the kitchen table to see what went where, then fit it to the bike. I think I put it on once to check the fit, then took it apart again and made all my electrical connections.

Cool. Any tips for the electrics? I want a nice clean look. I know some have used some sort of casing to put the wires in

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
You could combine some of the smaller wires into a larger loom to make it look a bit cleaner. And some of it can be pulled into the frame.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: VS1 install time? (updated, now with a couple questions!)

Installed the VS1 last night. The process took about 4.5 hours and was less than smooth. I got stuck a couple times and I was also missing a bolt. The instructions could be a little better for sure. There are a couple issues that I could use some help with. The windscreen grommets do not seem thick enough as the screen can wiggle around a bit when the bolts are fully tightened down. Has anyone done something it address this. (see photo)

Second, the speedo plate attaches to the main bracket a bit strangely. The plate ends up bending due to the top portion of the plate not sitting as flush as the lower part where the bolts are. This means the speedo is tilted slightly and gets in the way of the key in the ignition. Is this how the plate is supposed to be? It looked this way in the instructions as well but it doesn't seem proper to me. (see photo)

Third, given that you must remove the stock horn bracket, where are people attaching the horn now? I just bolted it in with the lower headlight bracket.

Finally, I used the included smaller front turn signals (which I really like) but I'm getting some intermittent fast blinking when signalling. Any ideas? I'm certain I wired everything correctly and all the bulbs are fine. Could it be a grounding issue? it think I may have attached the black ground wire from the master loom to a painted bracket. I'll have to check tonight.

Oh one more thing.. I love the smaller front turn signal and would love to get a couple for the back. Are they from a different Yamaha model? Which one, and where do I get them?

Last edited:

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sincerely sorry that you are facing some problems. Hope this will help
1) The HEX bolts for the windshield screws into a nut on the windshield stay. The nut is open all the way through. The issue that the bolt is not going deep suggest there is some blockage with the nut. Remove the windshield and just try to screw in the bolt to see what is holding it back.

2) As this kit is for FZ16 and I modified it to fit FZ6, I was not able to make best speedometer bracket and tried to make the next best functional bracket but there is some room for improvements. For most people it has worked out okay. I would be glad to get any feedback from you to make it better.

3) You don't have to move the horn. It can be installed at the same stock position.

4) FZ6 has a analog flasher relay and sometimes there is difference in the resistance of the bulbs which causes the flasher to blink faster. If it really really annoys you I would suggest you can buy a cheap electronic flasher which would solve the problem.

5) I have extra turn signals for $9 a piece.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site

The windscreen grommets do not seem thick enough as the screen can wiggle around a bit when the bolts are fully tightened down. Has anyone done something it address this. (see photo)

Weird, I didnt run i nto that issue. From the pic I can see that the lower hex bolt is snugged up correctly so not sure why the top one would be any different. It almost looks like the piece of frame that the bolt screws into is too long and is protruding out too far which is causing the gap.

Second, the speedo plate attaches to the main bracket a bit strangely. The plate ends up bending due to the top portion of the plate not sitting as flush as the lower part where the bolts are. This means the speedo is tilted slightly and gets in the way of the key in the ignition. Is this how the plate is supposed to be? It looked this way in the instructions as well but it doesn't seem proper to me. (see photo)

You are correct. While the speedo plate is not perfect and does mount on an angle, it does the job and shouldn't cause you any real issues. One thing I did which helped (and is also functional) was to to install some grommets on the lower mounts to cushion the assembly and also provide a little more "slack" which will reduce the angle it is mounted in currently.

Third, given that you must remove the stock horn bracket, where are people attaching the horn now? I just bolted it in with the lower headlight bracket.

Myself and many others just mounted it to the front side of the frame where the old fairing was attached. Doesnt look great, but works just fine. Vishnu is correct, though, and you shoud be able to mount it under one of the two bolts used on the headlight bracket at the old mounting location.

Finally, I used the included smaller front turn signals (which I really like) but I'm getting some intermittent fast blinking when signalling. Any ideas? I'm certain I wired everything correctly and all the bulbs are fine. Could it be a grounding issue? it think I may have attached the black ground wire from the master loom to a painted bracket. I'll have to check tonight.

Definitely has something to do with the OEM relay. If I was you, since you already like teh smaller look of these new signals, pick up a set of even smaller LED signals and get a new relay to make themm blink at the corect rate. You can find the relay here for cheap and it works great. You want the LF1-S-Flat. Direct plug and play.

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site

Weird, I didnt run i nto that issue. From the pic I can see that the lower hex bolt is snugged up correctly so not sure why the top one would be any different. It almost looks like the piece of frame that the bolt screws into is too long and is protruding out too far which is causing the gap.

The top and bottom are the same. I just pulled the top back a bit to show the problem. It seems that either the frame stems are too long as you say or the grommets are not thick enough. Strange.

You are correct. While the speedo plate is not perfect and does mount on an angle, it does the job and shouldn't cause you any real issues. One thing I did which helped (and is also functional) was to to install some grommets on the lower mounts to cushion the assembly and also provide a little more "slack" which will reduce the angle it is mounted in currently.

Good idea. I will try something similar. I will also get black nuts, bolts, and washers to attach the speedo bracket. You can see the hardware from the riding position and the silver stuff doesn't look very nice.

Myself and many others just mounted it to the front side of the frame where the old fairing was attached. Doesnt look great, but works just fine. Vishnu is correct, though, and you shoud be able to mount it under one of the two bolts used on the headlight bracket at the old mounting location.

Cool. I'll just leave it where I've got it then.

Definitely has something to do with the OEM relay. If I was you, since you already like teh smaller look of these new signals, pick up a set of even smaller LED signals and get a new relay to make themm blink at the corect rate. You can find the relay here for cheap and it works great. You want the LF1-S-Flat. Direct plug and play.

Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

Hmm. I'm not a huge fan of the small led style lights. I really like the slightly smaller than stock ones that Vishnu provides.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Sincerely sorry that you are facing some problems. Hope this will help
1) The HEX bolts for the windshield screws into a nut on the windshield stay. The nut is open all the way through. The issue that the bolt is not going deep suggest there is some blockage with the nut. Remove the windshield and just try to screw in the bolt to see what is holding it back.

There is no blockage. The bolts are snugged right down on the bolt stems.

2) As this kit is for FZ16 and I modified it to fit FZ6, I was not able to make best speedometer bracket and tried to make the next best functional bracket but there is some room for improvements. For most people it has worked out okay. I would be glad to get any feedback from you to make it better.

No problem, I may try something similar to what ebster suggests.

3) You don't have to move the horn. It can be installed at the same stock position.

ok

4) FZ6 has a analog flasher relay and sometimes there is difference in the resistance of the bulbs which causes the flasher to blink faster. If it really really annoys you I would suggest you can buy a cheap electronic flasher which would solve the problem.

5) I have extra turn signals for $9 a piece.

Where do I find these electronic flashers? If I put the same bulbs on the back do you think that would solve it? What bike do the front signals in your kit come from?

Thanks

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site

The top and bottom are the same. I just pulled the top back a bit to show the problem. It seems that either the frame stems are too long as you say or the grommets are not thick enough. Strange.

Looking at your pics again, and this is all off of memory, I do actually think your grommets are not as thick as the ones supplied with my kit which is causing the gap. I would ask Vishnu to verify there hasnt been a parts change with his kits.

Hmm. I'm not a huge fan of the small led style lights. I really like the slightly smaller than stock ones that Vishnu provides.

I guess you wouldnt have to necessarily get smaller LED blinkers as there are a variety out there, but they do tend to be smaller units. The only reason I suggested it is because you could get a matching set for front and back and with the addition of that cheap relay I showed you, the blink rate would be correct.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Dang people, it too me just over 45 minutes to install mine..

That is why I hate instructions. My brain works a certain way and it doesn't like it when instructions are written or illustrated a different way. Plus, when I do something I like to do it perfectly, hence my various questions and minor complaints.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site

Looking at your pics again, and this is all off of memory, I do actually think your grommets are not as thick as the ones supplied with my kit which is causing the gap. I would ask Vishnu to verify there hasnt been a parts change with his kits.

I guess you wouldnt have to necessarily get smaller LED blinkers as there are a variety out there, but they do tend to be smaller units. The only reason I suggested it is because you could get a matching set for front and back and with the addition of that cheap relay I showed you, the blink rate would be correct.

Thanks Ebster. I ordered the relay. I haven't heard back from Vishnu about what bike those front turn signals he provides are from. Any idea? I like them a lot because they look oem but are a bit slicker than the stock set. I'm guessing FZ16? http://www.blograzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/fz16-3.jpg Edit: Ok I'm pretty convinced they're from this bike seeing as it appears to be where the whole headlight set comes from. Only problem is that it's India market only so I can't get those parts quickly. Boo. lol. Ebster, I take it you have LED's? Want to sell me your VS1/2 front signals?

There's definitely something wrong with the windscreen hardware. It's not something I'm doing wrong. There's only 3 bits! The bolt, the post, and the grommet. I'll probably try to find some kind of plastic washer or something.

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks Ebster. I ordered the relay. I haven't heard back from Vishnu about what bike those front turn signals he provides are from. Any idea? I like them a lot because they look oem but are a bit slicker than the stock set. I'm guessing FZ16? http://www.blograzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/fz16-3.jpg Edit: Ok I'm pretty convinced they're from this bike seeing as it appears to be where the whole headlight set comes from. Only problem is that it's India market only so I can't get those parts quickly. Boo. lol. Ebster, I take it you have LED's? Want to sell me your VS1/2 front signals?

There's definitely something wrong with the windscreen hardware. It's not something I'm doing wrong. There's only 3 bits! The bolt, the post, and the grommet. I'll probably try to find some kind of plastic washer or something.

I actually just maintained the OEM front signals (had smoked LED blinkers in the rear) when I installed the kit so I could keep the nice clean stock plugs. In other words, I was lazy..haha!

You are right, though, the signals supplied with the kit are off the Yami FZ16. Why not just order a set from Vishnu? You will have them in two weeks or less. I would send you mine, but I sold them along with my front fairing way back when.

I am pretty sure you have the wrong grommets, they are too thin. Try using some of the ones from the inside of your OEM fairing. They are thicker and should fill the gap.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I trust you that you have tried everything to make the windshield work.... I will ship you free replacement for grommets and windshield bracket... m sorry for the trouble you had to go through....

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I trust you that you have tried everything to make the windshield work.... I will ship you free replacement for grommets and windshield bracket... m sorry for the trouble you had to go through....

Thank you Vishnu! That is some excellent customer service.:thumbup:

Tzinskis

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I'm new to the forum and and just bought a 2005 FZ6. I am a huge fan of the naked kit and I am looking to purchase the VS01/02 kit. I am just wondering how difficult the install is? Is pretty straight forward? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this is my first bike. I would like to not have to mess with any electrical. ie: splicing, pulling harnesses apart. I'm also a member of many Subaru WRX forums, and on there, people do install write ups with lots of pictures. Is there anything like for this install? Thanks.

Tzinskis

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the green wire, put it in the free hole in the other harness, and no light. high or low beam. Did I do something wrong/ miss a step?

Last edited: