VS-2 Conversion - H4 Bulb

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just did the VS-2 conversion over the weekend and was wondering if anyone had a particular H4 bulb to recommend. Naturally I am looking for one that will output a bright white light that has good range. Was looking at the PIAA Nightech bulb which is designed for motorcycles and figured it may be a pretty good option:

PIAA Powersports Night-Tech Replacement Bulb H4 | 504-619 | J&P Cycles

Also, I converted the plug to a 3 prong to accomodate the H4 dual filiment bulb by pulling over the black/green wire from the OEM high beam, but is there anything else I should be aware of in terms of relays, heat, fuses, etc?

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I run them on my car and they seem to work pretty well. I do not want to do any conversions, just want to toss in a new bright H4 bulb.

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I converted the plug to a 3 prong to accomodate the H4 dual filiment bulb by pulling over the black/green wire from the OEM high beam, but is there anything else I should be aware of in terms of relays, heat, fuses, etc?

I kept burning out bulbs, purchased and installed Motogiro's relay and haven't had a problem since

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
I've asked on other threads and still havent got an answer. I also have the conversion and H4 bulb, but I want to go HID. And not just to be white or look cool. I want a better light output. even with a new H4 bulb and reajusting the angle over and over the light just doesnt put out enough. i figure its the shape of the headlight lens and casing. Are there any other guys out their that have done the conversion with the single H4 bulb to a bi-xenon. Help...:confused:

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want a inexpensive alternative to HID that is a normal H4 Bulb, I have used NOKYA bulbs in all of my bikes. They are on ebay and cost about $20 for a pair. I usually get the ultra white or blue-ish white bulbs in "Stage 1". The light output is excellent, more like a 90/100W but only use the stock 55/60w input. I have had a set last over 2 years. Not sure if they last longer than that....havent kept a bike that long! HA! :D

Here is a link to the ones that I have used...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKYA-HEAD-...ruck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_2383wt_1080

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
I really want to go HID. Just cant seem to find a kit for me.

Heres the kit i just installed into mine SPEEDMETAL HID Light Kit - Universal Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear has both hi/low feature so you get a true hid high beam, i was able to fit the slim ballast under the battery box, since i know a little about car/moto wiring i created my own relay setup to allow proper high/low so it wouldnt run both high/low filiments at the same time(kit is similir to motogiro im assuming) i havent been able to ride with it yet as its stormy here but it looks great when sitting :thumbup:

taken with a cell so the quality isnt super great

2011-12-26194113.jpg

2011-12-26194126.jpg

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So I reached out to Motogiro via PM and got a little more information:

A bone stock FZ6 has one relay which works in the following way. When you only have low beams on, the left headlight (an H7 bulb with one filament) is illuminated and the right headlight is off. When you click on the highbeams, the left H7 lowbeam stays on, and the right dual filament H4 higbeam is triggered, but only the high beam filament will illuminate.

When you convert over to the VS-2 single headlight unit, when the low beam is on, only the low beam filament of the H4 bulb is illuminated and this is not an issue. When you hit the highbeam switch, however, the high beam filament is triggered but the low beam ALSO stays on. This causes excess heat to build up in the bulb and will lead to premature burn out.

Motogiro offers an additional relay, that when wired in, allows the dual filament H4 bulb to operate as it is designed to and will shut off the low beam filament when the high beam is triggered. I am going to order one of these relays to ensure I dont go through bulbs all the time. Then it is only a matter of choosing a bulb that I like.

Last edited:

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
So I reached out to Motogiro via PM and got a little more information:

A bone stock FZ6 has one relay which works in the following way. When you only have low beams on, the left headlight (an H7 bulb with one filament) is illuminated and the right headlight is off. When you click on the highbeams, the left H7 lowbeam stays on, and the right dual filament H4 higbeam is triggered, but only the high beam filament will illuminate.

When you convert over to the VS-2 single headlight unit, when the low beam is on, only the low beam filament of the H4 bulb is illuminated and this is not an issue. When you hit the highbeam switch, however, the high beam filament is triggered but the low beam ALSO stays on. This causes excess heat to build up in the bulb and will lead to premature burn out.

Motogiro offers an additional relay, that when wired in, allows the dual filament H4 bulb to operate as it is designed to and will shut off the low beam filament when the high beam is triggered. I am going to order one of these relays to ensure I dont go through bulbs all the time. Then it is only a matter of choosing a bulb that I like.

Using a relay is definitly the way to go when converting to the VS-2 so that you dont have both high and low filiments on at the same time, also for those who convert to HID im assuming your going to want the same. Those morimoto kits look nice, just a little more work to retrofit them in :thumbup:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look really cool so are you going to cut the back of the housing to mount them? Pictures please

The projector is installed in the headlight, without any major modifications. :cheer:
Now to find some time to remount the headlight to the bike, re-align and get everything tidy :)

I'll be starting a thread when everything is completed, with some how-to stuff and pics ;)
After a quick test, I can say the light output is insane compared to the stock light :eek:

Grtz,

Degake

p.s. Does anyone know where to (cheaply) get some 3m Scotch 23 self-amalgamating tape in Europe?

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Headlight is installed onto the FZ, now just get the alignment to be in spec!! :cheer:
It does look sexy though ;)

Pics/thread will follow :D

Grtz,

Degake