Video of Boneman's cool relay find

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really liking the new relay (ELFR-1) that Boneman found. Bought one on eBay and was a snap to install. Just unplugged the old one and removed it from the rubber strap holder. New one fits in the rubber holder nice and snug. Just plugged it right in. The relay looks to be solid state which means no contacts to wear out.:D Here is a couple of pics to show the installation location again.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First attempt at video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGYk-ByJMA]YouTube - New Relay.MOV[/ame]

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Second attempt at a more close-up view: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdFnS3oOdk]YouTube - New Relay2.MOV[/ame]

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is really cool! But erm where can I find more detailed installation instructions?

There was a little instruction sheet that came with the relay, but I did not use it. Simple instructions:

1. Remove the inner fairing.
2. Unplug and pull the relay out of the rubber sleeve.
3. Plug new relay in and install back into the sleeve.
4. Install inner fairing.

The plug contains only two wires. It really is straight forward and easy to do!:Flash:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So what does this do?

The relay gives you the standard flash rate no matter what you use for blinkers (no need for load resistors and such). Can be LED, filament or mixed! My flasher rate was a lot faster with the stock relay (should have taken a before video, too).

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what does this do?

I'm going to guess it's the electronic flasher relay you use instead of the OEM relay to correct the varied flash rated you get when you switch from incandescent lamps to LED's as directional indicators.
I was able to switch that relay out without removing anything on my 06 FZ6.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

y0s_bikey

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a little instruction sheet that came with the relay, but I did not use it. Simple instructions:

1. Remove the inner fairing.
2. Unplug and pull the relay out of the rubber sleeve.
3. Plug new relay in and install back into the sleeve.
4. Install inner fairing.

The plug contains only two wires. It really is straight forward and easy to do!:Flash:

We just need to plug and play on the relay alone? there isn't any wirings to the P light? Then how they control and flicker the P light?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We just need to plug and play on the relay alone? there isn't any wirings to the P light? Then how they control and flicker the P light?

I apologize. This was never intended to be focused on the pod lights. The relay just controls the flasher rate of whatever you may have wired into that circuit (standard for the USA is just the front and rear signals - the bike does not come with pod lights). This relay is solid state and the internal electronics always give the same standard flashing rate no matter what the load is on the flasher circuit (be it pod lights, filament lamps, LED lights or whatever).

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Looks good Jman! Glad you got one.

The thing I love about these electronic flasher realys is that they will atuomatically balance the load even if you are using both LED and regular bulbs! And no more resistors! Yippie!

It's too easy. Just unplug the OEM relay and plug this on in. That's it.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com