USA Motorcycle Fatality Facts 2008

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
Without data on the rider population, it's difficult to make much of anything from these statistics. For example, since 1995, has it become more dangerous for people over 50 to ride or are more people over 50 riding? It's per capita that matters.

I already wear a helmet and never drink while riding but have no control of my age, being well over 50. I guess I'm two thirds safe ;)

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
At the stats,
Touring and Sport-Touring types accidents are very low >> almost 0 (zero)
Is FZ6 Sport-Touring ?

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Without data on the rider population, it's difficult to make much of anything from these statistics. For example, since 1995, has it become more dangerous for people over 50 to ride or are more people over 50 riding? It's per capita that matters.

I already wear a helmet and never drink while riding but have no control of my age, being well over 50. I guess I'm two thirds safe ;)

I think more motorcycles were sold in 2008 than other years. That might have something to do with the statistics since a lot of the sales were to new riders.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting. My take-aways:
* Single vehicle deaths should largely be preventable if you ride in a safe enough manner. That reduces the chance of death by 46%
* Ride with a license: 24% reduction
* Wear helmet: 42% reduction
* Avoid riding between 9pm and 6am: 29% reduction
* Don't drink while riding: 30% reduction.

In most cases, we could all comply with these. If so, you are 12% as likely to have a fatal injury than the "average" motorcyclist. If the average motorcyclist is 35 time as likely to die per mile compared to the occupant of a car, the "safe" motorcyclist is 4.2 times as likely to die per mile as the average car occupant.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Please do not fall into the trap of thinking "Oh well there is more bikes on the road so we should have more fatalities"

5091 riders lost their lives. That is totally unacceptable for whatever reason.

A lot of riders seem to have the attitude that it is not our responsiblity. It`s the cagers, the roads, the weather, the governments.

It is OURS. It is us that have that occasional beer even though we shouldn`t, just the one...you know what I mean.

It is us that open the throttle too much on too many occasions. It is us that ride beyond our limits. Put your hand up if you have frightened yourself on the FZ6. I know I have taken the odd bend too fast and my heart has took a jump.

Who thinks wearing a vis vest is not for bikers`?

Look at Youtube for motorcycle accidents and watch the stupid things some bikers do. We don`t want to think that we do stupid things on a bike but I bet we all do.

It is our responsibility to prevent these accidents. Not anybody elses.

I have two broken arms and a broken leg from a bike accident where I was on the major road and was T-boned by a 16 year old guy in a car, from a minor road. He missed killing me by a whisper. I accept that we cannot stop all accidents, but we can reduce them massively.

Taking responsibility is the only way we can reduce these numbers.

Steve