Unfriendly Motorcyclists

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to nod or wave :Sport: to lots of people including beemers and Harleys.
Itend to find that very few HDs wave back but that's because most of them are carbon copies of the guys in "Wild hogs" and are too busy holding on tight and looking straight ahead.
Some Beemers are OK some are not, although a few weeks back there was a bunch of them going the opposite way standing on the pegs, greeting everybody and generally sharing the good time they obviously time and good luck to them:thumbup:
The one group I don'ttend to greet too much is the guys with learner plates on, not because I'm better than them but because they already have enough to think about without me distracting them while they learn.
I do like it when Iget a nod or wave from a police rider.
In the UK we don't usually see too much of a rider's left side, so i liked it when a Police rider came past me on a roundabout giving me the lowsided salute while turning/:thumbup:

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My brother just bought his first bike this summer, a BMW. After about a month, he called me and asked....do people on BMWs have a bad reputation? uhhhhh yup. (sorry to those who do ride one) He told me that someone else with a BMW told him..."we just don't wave at them" (sportbikers). He said screw it and waves at everyone...I think he's a one man army trying to rid his town of the BMW attitude.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My brother just bought his first bike this summer, a BMW. After about a month, he called me and asked....do people on BMWs have a bad reputation? uhhhhh yup. (sorry to those who do ride one) He told me that someone else with a BMW told him...\"we just don't wave at them\" (sportbikers). He said screw it and waves at everyone...I think he's a one man army trying to rid his town of the BMW attitude.

Good for him: too much attitude in the world. With all the anti bike feelings we should be as one and say............. Four wheels OK Two wheels better............ (with apologies to George Orwell)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to wave at everyone - even cagers if they wave. Being friendly is being friendly. I agree that you should not wave at the risk of safety being compromised.:thumbdown:
I think it is kind of funny when people get offended....like the BMW riders - even when someone prefaces the comment they are making with, "I know there are exceptions to the rule." Sorry, but statistics don't lie! If you are in a situation where a large percentage of people act a certain way....you gotta expect people to be on guard for it.:rolleyes: It doesn't mean that everyone is so close minded that they don't realize you might not be the typical stereotype.-my 2 cents

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started riding again (I'm 53) because of gas prices and I commute 46 miles one way. I ride now because it freeking makes me feel young again and is exciting! This getting old schitt sucks!

I ride a sportbike because I guess if fits my personality and I like the way they look. I chose the FZ6 because of the look and function of a sport bike but the riding position of a standard.

I have found the sportbikers are definately the more friendly on the road. I try to acknowledge and give a friendly lower left hand wave to everyone. I have gone through all the psychology other members have posted here. But in the end I wave because I feel as bikers we have that in common. I don't worry about other bikers motivations, there are more important things.

I love my FZ6, its beautiful and fun, and I like this forum because everyone seems to care and want to help each other and have fun.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
With halloween right around the corner I think I should buy a severed arm and just attach it to my jacket as a third arm in a permenent wave. Of course if I go down the doctors may be confused as to which one i mine :eek:

I generally wave/nod at everyone if I'm out cruising and don't generally wave to anyone if I am commuting to work, doing 75-80 in two lanes to keep up with traffic made up of people riding HOV illegally with jersey walls on either side. And i mean I am going to work :(

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Only Harley riders so far have acted like that and its more of when they group up. On my trip from Macon to Pigeon Forge the farther I got from Macon the more bikers I saw and the less friendly they became. Once in and around Pigeon Forge groups of riders ignored me completely. Sport bike guys were always friendly though. I acknowledged everyone but was becoming pissed at the Harley snobs up there.

Bill3508

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Sunday I went out for a nice four hour ride starting in Jersey, hitting New York and Penn. before coming home at one point a came up behind a Harly riding two up. we were both just cruising along when he waved me past after about ten minutes, I guess he thought he was holding me up since this was all a no passing zone with a lot of twisties. Then he caught up to me at a light, we had a breif conversation and we rode in formation for a god 15 miles or so until he turned off.

Morale is, not all Harley riders are arsses, people are people, whether your on a bike or not. I bet those people that don't acknowledge you while riding probably wouldn't talk to you at a party either. Snobs are snobs.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only by Hardley riders.

People around here have ride cards. Basically a business card that has your preferred contact info on it and when you see someone you might want to ride with, you flag them down and hand them a card after introduction.

I've had all sorts of riders stop beside me in traffic, even a few HD riders and chat. The anti-social ones typically don't park with me in traffic or they stop in the middle of the road, meaning, don't pull up. The ones that stop on one side or the other are inviting you to stop.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, we are.

:rof::rof::rof:

In response to the orginal post et al:

I'd be careful of generalizing and stereotyping. Maybe I'm lucky in that I get a 99% return on investment when waving to two wheelers (sportbikes, cruisers, bimmers, police bikes, scooters, trikes, big tourers... whatever.)

I also wonder if the folks that don't get a wave from certain "groups" aren't initiating the wave...? I do almost every time. That's just me.

But, we are discussing BMW riders specifically. This is really foreign to me. The majority of Bimmer folks I've met are of an adventurous spirit. Many moto-camp and enjoy some gnarly, long tours on their bikes. These are not the type of people to ignore other riders (or anybody for that matter.) I am, of course, generalizing and stereotyping..... I realize that.

Grain of salt: I love BMW's. I will own several one day (in addition to my beloved Fazer :thumbup:)

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
My experience is that people generally only wave to someone who they consider the "same" as them. The trick is what counts as the same - a rider of anything, a sportbiker, a tourer, a BMW owner or whatever. Evidence of this to me is how my wave responses changed after I installed my butt ugly but super-functional topcase - suddenly fewer waves from sportbikes and cruisers but more from 'wings and BMWs. I also experience better wave response when out for a ride vs commuting in town - understandable to me since there's a lot more going in terms of intersections/driveways, etc during my commute.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn near everyone I wave too in NJ waves back. I ride with a few BMW guys and at least the three I know are great guy. Here is one of my buddies 1150RT.

Run4orest

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting topic...

I have a Street Legal YZ so the Harley guys don't wave too often - sport bikes wave and often look back as it is pretty tricked out - I don't wave to scooters as they have too much to worry about and keep track of anyway - no cops wave at all but all of them look really hard and many stop and U-turn to run my tag and check for lights - hard to keep the front end down and my FMF Q-4 and Megga Bomb are suppose to be quiet but not at 14.5 rpm where I am mostly - throttle might as well be a button sometimes - pumped to get an FZ6 or FZ1 - this Fall - 6'3 w/36" inseam so can't fit on a whole lot of bikes - first real street ride so leaning towards the FZ6 but which ever I get a good deal on - Go Yamaha!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn near everyone I wave too in NJ waves back. I ride with a few BMW guys and at least the three I know are great guy. Here is one of my buddies 1150RT.

Wow! Looks like that could have been taken here! I have a red FZ6 & my husband John has a silver 1150RT! Sweet!
And we wave!

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Sportbike Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave and/or nod at other riders as a courteousy as long as I am able to. Its etiquette. If another rider sees me and I know it, but does not return the favor, that is as long as he/she is able too, then :Flip: And I am gonna make damn sure he/she sees it.

If another rider wants to use my lane to pass, that is just fine. But they need to acknowledge me, atleast to say "Hey you see me, right?" If not, I'm gonna BUZZ the **** out of them. Then they will "Respect My Authority!":spank:

I rode cruisers for a couple of years and that is a differtent pack of ppl. I got tired of being past by sportbikes on one wheel, so I went back to them, (sportbikes), lol.:rockon:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
TOP TEN REASONS WHY FZ6 RIDERS DON'T WAVE BACK

10. Too busy modulating the clutch and throttle to get that perfect, smooth shift from 1st to second
9. "Let go to wave? Are you kidding... I just hit 7000 RPM. Wheeee!"
8. was preocupied with trying to find seventh gear
7. Didn't see you wave cuz I was staring at my reflection in that window over there. Damn this bike looks good!
6. Was busy peeling those dumb stickers off the tank
5. Was leaning over and forward trying to figure out where that DAMN TICKING IS COMING FROM!!!!
4. Didn't see you wave because I was looking for the switch to turn the other headlight on.
3. Eyes were closed - trying to visualize rim strips, Two Bro exhaust, Puig screen, belly pan, frame sliders, and new FE.
2. Didn't see you, I was too busy checking side streets looking for some MORE TWISTIES!!!
1. Sorry, still trying to find that damn switch for the other headlight

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day folks. In Adelaide to ride a bike you have do the ridersafe course but not for a scooter. This course increases the level of awareness of these people in relation to staying alive and safe on the road:thumbup:. We have the nod here:rockon:(as apposed to a wave) and I generally give the nod to anyone on a bike (Not scooters) as an "I've seen you, stay safe dude" kind of thing:thumbup:. Parking next to someone at the lights definitely earns a G'day mate:D...lol. We are a smaller group of -to some extent- like minded folk within the community and there's no reason why we can't be friendly:D. If I get snubbed then I figure the guy doesn't quite get it and that's just a tad sad...if you know what I mean?:(
Of course there is always that odd occasion when you park next to someone and it's,"whoa, nice bike mate.":rockon: Which is always a great way to break the ice.:thumbup:

It also makes the motorists around you think that the motorcyclists all know each other and don't mess us round...lol.:D
Cheers
Mike