Two Brothers, Two Bikes - 5 day motorcycle trip

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
So a few weeks ago my older brother and I embarked on an epic motorcycle adventure...five days through four states. Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and Vermont. This was the first multi-day trip I've been on with my bike. I returned armed with 50 gigs of footage and the determination to create something worth showing. This piece captures the trip; some awesome riding through the Adirondacks, terrible performance by my Contour camera, and a myriad of stupid antics from two exhausted riders...All in all an experiment on my part, probably too long or two short depending on who's watching. It's just under 30 minutes long, and it has a lot more than just riding in it. I had a blast on the trip, and I had a blast editing this together. I welcome comments and critiques, as this if the first documentary style piece I have edited in a long time. I hope it is enjoyable to all!

Two Brothers, Two Bikes on Vimeo

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome. I'm going to get a Go Pro for my next big adventure.

I still need to get up there and conquer that part of the country. May knock out a few new states next year.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Epic trip, it makes me miss upstate NY. I lived in Ithaca for 4 years for undergrad and did a lot of driving around. Some of the best scenery in the country IMHO.

Great job on the editing and music selection. I really enjoyed it.

What was the issue with the Contour? Did you contact them so they could look at your video and offer any assistance?

I am looking at action cameras now and was thinking about the Contour +2 or the GoPro Hero3 Black/Silver edition. Did you end up getting a GoPro?

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Thanks for the comments everyone!

As far as the Contour goes, I never ended up contacting Contour themselves. It would randomly shoot things completely our of focus, and eventually it just stayed completely out of focus. I ended up taking the lens off and manually rotating the element so it was 80-90% in focus...still not a good solution.

One other problem I had with it is that it would randomly corrupt video files...I pop the card in at the end of the day and I have a bunch of tiny files that contain no information. I'm pretty confident that Contour must have solved these issues, as I know a bunch of people use them, including a couple of big production companies, but my faith in the brand was lost. Which was unfortunate, because I love the form factor and the mounts were excellent.

I pre-ordered the GoPro Hero3 black edition, which is probably sitting at a UPS pickup location waiting for me to get back from Thanksgiving vacation...I missed the UPS truck by 1 hour before I left a few days ago.

The video comparisons I've watched, the mounting options, and features of the Black Edition sold me immediately, and I am excited to start playing around with it!