Turbo time. Seriously.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you you determine the wheel / driven sprocket location in relation to the Front drive sprocket location? Did you have sprocket mocked up on that ultralight wheel?

Also - was the interior of the R1 SA fully machined so you could simply push the bearings in further?

PS - Glad to see you were able to keep the linkage on the R1 arm! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
PS - R1 Shock top bolt differences.
As you found the Fizzer bolt is larger than the R1 shocks top bolt. You can press in the FZ6 rubber isolator or weld up the hole on the bike if you keep this section????

The bushing OD is the same on both shocks.
Our shock bushing P/N: 34L-22216-00-00

Also, if you're not sold on that shock the early 03 version with the radial mounted reservoir can be used and turned around if you run into space issues with the other tail parts. Like so: --> http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h...13/IMG_20130329_142723_583WEB_zps9d0df3f2.jpg

Radial R1 shock Res vs FZ6: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/73sport/FZ6 2008/BoltOns/SSC_566WEB_zpsa36766d1.jpg From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-alternatives-how-install-r1-shock-w-pic.html

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
The shock mounting point is going to be different for a couple reasons. First, I'm using the linkage from the R1 with the bellcrank and pullrod. That moves the shock much further forward and puts the angle of the shock tilted toward the motor as well to clear spring from the swingarm. Second, I'm not using the stock rear subframe anymore, so that mounting point will be gone. Most of the electronics in the tail will be relocated to the battery box built into the R1 tail. So this is definitely not a direct swap. A lot of custom fabrication has already been done, and a lot more still has to be done. There is plenty of room for the shock reservoir, even if I decide to point the reservoir toward the motor.

The chain location was verified by measuring the distance between the center of the chain guide and the edge of the swingarm pivot. The wheel is made for an R6, so it is identical to the FZ6. I already measured it up to make sure. I just wish it was a 6" wheel instead of a 5.5" wheel so I could run a 190 tire, but I guess it's not a big deal really.

The R1 swingarm had a little extra room to push the bearing in further, but not .6" worth of room. I probably could have gone without cutting the hole deeper if I went with a super narrow bearing, but I wanted to run as much bearing as possible so I cut it deeper.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wish it was a 6" wheel instead of a 5.5" wheel so I could run a 190 tire, but I guess it's not a big deal really.

You can run a 190 on a 5.5" wheel. I've been racing with 190's on my R6 for years... In fact most guys with 5.5" wheels put on 190's at the track. Just make sure you have the clearance for it.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I updated the album again! The pullrod linkage is complete, now I'm just working on the shock mount.

AR0woMZ.jpg

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I made some progress today in some places and lost some in others. I started to build the shock mount only to figure out the metal I had measured and cut is horrible quality. It cut like steel, but when I went to weld it the puddle would instantly start sputtering and develop porosity. That's no good for such a critical piece.

Frustrated at that, I switched gears and started to work on the front end. I was reading the thread about the R1 fork swap and after "pressing" (ahem, hammering) the steering stem out of the FZ6 and R1 triple trees and switching them around, I noticed there was a difference in the press-fit section of the stems. The FZ6 was about .006" smaller than the R1, so I ended up wrapping a .003" feeler gauge around the press-fit section of the stem and then hammering the FZ6 stem into the R1 lower triple. It may not be the ideal solution, but it appears to hold the stem straight and tight, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. Next is to get the bump stops and top triple put together so I can get the forks on and check the ride height.

So yeah, progress!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Good news! The 2002 R1 tail subframe I bought will bolt up to the FZ6 with almost no modification. The only thing that needs to be changed is the 2 bottom bracket's threads need to be drilled out (the frame already has threads in it). and the mounting points just needed to be spread out a little by hand. Other than that, the seat slides right into the FZ6's seat catch behind the tank, all the holes for the seat line up, and the angle of the seat and tail is pretty much dead nuts on. You have no idea how excited that made me today.Blah

Anyway, here is the updated album!

nf7FtP3.jpg

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I made a small update to the album. I'm working on getting my garage cleaned out right now. Basically what happened is when my brother moved out, we traded toolboxes. I had a Craftsman stainless box that would fit in his U-Haul trailer and he has a gigantic SnapOn Classic 96 that wouldn't fit anywhere in my shop. So I started taking stuff out and rearranging. I tried to close the garage door and it got stuck on something and basically committed suicide. So now I have a garage door to fix, too much **** in my shop, and no room to move around.

The natural thing to do was start moving everything from the garage into the driveway so I could make some improvements. The floor is getting epoxy coated, the walls are going to be finished, the work table re-imagined, etc. So the FZ6 is going to sit on the back burner for a week or so. Also, I've got to find a new motor for my CTS-V, so I've got a lot of projects on the table right now.

FrSq2sU.jpg

I also got the rearsets in, and they look nice. A few more parts are trickling in soon.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that swing arm on there, now I can see it with the tank. Kinda makes the bike look symmetrical, like a figure of 8, on a slant.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
The swingarm is the same length as the FZ6 swingarm. It's mostly just a perspective issue. I'm taking the picture from the top down and the swingarm is hanging down low here, so it looks short.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Those forks look beefy.

No clearance issues between chain route and the new swingarm I assume?