TS vs spencer's mod

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I know these topics have been discussed alot and i have searched through the threads and i could not find much for direct comparisons between Spencer's mod and a Top Sadllery seat (or other aftermarket seats).

I know i want to do somthing to my seat soon, but cannot decide what i should do. I do not tour much but hope to take some much longer rides this summer. most of my riding is only a couple hours or less. I am about 6' and 200lbs. i ride relativly conservative, but like to get spirited ocaisionally.

I have "permission" (LOL) from the wife to get a TS if I want, but i probably would have to buy one of their pre-made ones becasue they are much cheaper. Does anybody know how well the blue stiching would mactch a 2006 blue FZ6? Is there any major differences between the leather/fabric choices other than cosmetics? is their seat pan really as bad as some say it is? any comparisons of gel seats vs. standard?

I guess i just need help making the choice about which way to go, and if I go with TS I need a little help with all their options. So, anyone with any experience with any of these seats please let me know what you think.

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've yet to break in my TS seat and have no comparison to the Spencer's mod. However, I can say that the pan I got with mine ("buy a pan option") is definitely a slightly used stock pan with the seat built around it.

Definitely in better condition than my stock pan, but other than that, no difference. It even came with the runner bumpers already on it despite saying it wouldn't.

I know they used to/sometimes used a black pan that caused problems, but I don't know how frequent that is. My guess is they will only use that one if there are no stockers left in their inventory.

As for materials, the site does a decent job describing a few of the differences. I just went with 03 for everything with black lettering and piping because 1) I love the "stealth" look 2) if I ever need to sell it, I don't want to alienate buyers. 3) I've seen the other materials and just wasn't fond of the feel.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
im looking into this too. the only TS seat that l've sat on was really mushy and would never hold up on a 2+ hour ride. dont know much about spencer's mod but its fast and much cheaper than the TS option. Does TS make a firm seat option or are they all plushy?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Comparing a $50 seat mod to a $400+ dollar seat is kinda unfair. I have looked into the Spencer seat mod and all the reviews I've read are always positive. I have yet to see a negative review. For $50 dollars is hard to pass up, too.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im looking into this too. the only TS seat that l've sat on was really mushy and would never hold up on a 2+ hour ride. dont know much about spencer's mod but its fast and much cheaper than the TS option. Does TS make a firm seat option or are they all plushy?

There isn't a "firm" option that I saw. Lowering would take out foam though.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Comparing a $50 seat mod to a $400+ dollar seat is kinda unfair. I have looked into the Spencer seat mod and all the reviews I've read are always positive. I have yet to see a negative review. For $50 dollars is hard to pass up, too.

I understand they are quite different from each other, but they are closer in price than you make it sound. after shipping the spencers mod would be over 100 bucks and the discounted seats would be a little over 300. still a big differnece, but i am considering both. I don't mind spending the extra money on the TS ifit worth the extra money.

Last edited:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a TS seat 2 years ago. I went with the gel option along with their seat pan. It was recently purchased by another member of the forum about two weeks ago. He likes it so far from what I understand.

The seat pan of the TS did not look to be the same quality as the stock seat. Where the stock seat was a solid molded plastic, the TS seat pan looked almost, although not entirely, like it was paper manched with plastic. It looked somewhat unfinished and rough. That being said, I really could care less what the underside looks like. The top side looked great the the blue FZ6 stitching on the lumbar support match very well with my blue bike

Its underside "performance" never entered my mind when I was touring all over California doing 500 mile days. What mattered to me was how did it feel at the end of the day.

Without question, I would buy that seat all over again. Isn't that the true test?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I understand they are quite different from each other, but they are closer in price than you make it sound. after shipping the spencers mod would be over 100 bucks and the discounted seats would be a little over 300. still a big differnece, but i am considering both. I don't mind spending the extra money on the TS ifit worth the extra money.

When I looked at buying a basic TS a year ago it was 259EUR for a seat with pan. That came to I think 330us and they wanted $150 for shipping. So I went with a custom Corbin. So the Spencer is bargain.