Train watching.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
If anybody likes train watching here's a video of a nice meet this morning.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZdi7wvLKw]YouTube - BNSF Train Meet[/ame]

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, those were a couple of hella-long trains! Neat view when there were passing each other. I'm always awed by the raw horsepower when I see a train roll by. Electric trains as in Eurpose don't excite me, though. I like steam engines the best. I guess the more CO2 it belches out, the more I like it.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds ma opf a night in Flagstaff a few years back. They sold earplugs at the motel counter. We found out why, a train every 20-40 minutes. Worst night in a motel ever, and I like trains.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds ma opf a night in Flagstaff a few years back. They sold earplugs at the motel counter. We found out why, a train every 20-40 minutes. Worst night in a motel ever, and I like trains.

My wife and I stayed in Cascade Locks, Oregon about 2 weeks ago. Our room/balcony was about 50 ft above and to the side of UP's main line thru the Columbia River Gorge, with the BNSF main just across the river. As much as I enjoy trains, it did get a little old to have freights passing by every 15 minutes or so all night.
attachment.php

On the other hand, I did stop at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola as part of this trip and spent 2 hours operating a locomotive. It was fantastic.

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I stayed in a hotel right on the Ohio river in Covington, Kentucky a couple of years ago. Not only could we hear the trains all night long, we could also feel the hotel vibrating because the train bridge passed about 100 yards from our window.

I've never paid so much for so little sleep. And that's coming from a guy who likes watching trains.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My current home, and my last home in Grand Forks, had train tracks fairly close by. They are now as soothing as crickets to me. ;)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
On the other hand, I did stop at the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola as part of this trip and spent 2 hours operating a locomotive. It was fantastic.

Portola is less than 2 hours from here. I've taken my family there and we all drove the locomotive, way fun and have some great pics of the kids operating the engine. Cool place.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I could watch trains all day long. Actually that's what I do.

I work in an old style signal box with 36 long handles levers & handle about 12 train movements an hour.

Won't be doing it for much longer though, Im heading over to the other side & will be driving coal trains in the new year.

I have loads of photos & video of me operating the frame but unfortunately I cant post em for security reasons :(

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I work in an old style signal box with 36 long handles levers & handle about 12 train movements an hour.

Won't be doing it for much longer though, Im heading over to the other side & will be driving coal trains in the new year.

I have loads of photos & video of me operating the frame but unfortunately I cant post em for security reasons :(

Sweet job. And getting even better by driving the big suckers around.
Pity you can't post the pics and vids, but rules are rules.

:rockon:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet job. And getting even better by driving the big suckers around.
Pity you can't post the pics and vids, but rules are rules.

Yeah its a shame. They are very strict on what can & cannot be captured on film.
Even more so after the Madrid incident.
Looking forward to driving em but the trains I will be driving are nowhere near as big as those suckers in the clip.

Silly question maybe? What does BNSF stand for?

I know if 2 of em came together it would be a BFM :D

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah its a shame. They are very strict on what can & cannot be captured on film.

I know what you mean. We're not even allowed to have cameras at work (including mobile phones...) Instant dismissal.

Silly question maybe? What does BNSF stand for?

I know if 2 of em came together it would be a BFM :D

Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway..

Welcome to BNSF

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I spend 12 hours a day in Kings Cross signal box and after that I have no wish to look at trains.:D

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you're definitely OCD.
By the way how many were there ? I lost count when I had to straighten the books on the shelf.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
My current home, and my last home in Grand Forks, had train tracks fairly close by. They are now as soothing as crickets to me. ;)

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm within about a half mile of 3 sets of tracks (all run next to each other). I hardly even notice them anymore, except when I'm about to fall asleep, and a jackhole conductor decides he needs to lay on the horn the whole way through the village.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Is anyone else obsessed with counting the number of cars on a train or am I seriously OCD?

I just like looking at all the tagging on the cars, when I can watch them. It borderline gives me motion sickness watching a train go by. I have to watch it either as it's coming at me, or going away.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I just like looking at all the tagging on the cars, when I can watch them. It borderline gives me motion sickness watching a train go by. I have to watch it either as it's coming at me, or going away.
04fizzer, next time I'll increase the angle for ya!!!! Easily done.