Trade FZ6 for a Buell?

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Well, test rode an '06 Buell XB9SX today. My thoughts? I loved it!!! After getting used to the fact that there was no front fairing/windscreen (it first gave me the feeling that I would fall forward, but you street fighters should know what I'm talking about), everything went smoothly. Being one of the the lower end bikes, this thing has power. It's almost like it's made of pure muscle. Barely out of the parking lot, I was doing close to 80mph before I shifted into 4th. Being a relatively light bike, I was also concerned that, being a windy day, I'd be all over the road. This was not the case. The bike stayed firm and straight. The vibration of the V-Twin was also something for me to get used to, but I found that I actually liked it.

I'm sure that me discussing this is probably considered blasphemy, but I do think that I'll go and pick it up in a week or two. That is, if it hasn't sold by then. If it has, then I'm still going to be more than happy with the FZ6. The dealership will actually take a near loss for the trade in of the FZ6, which was pretty close to what I was planning on selling it for. Although I love my FZ6, and it has been a fantastic bike, I'm afraid that the Buell is the bike for me.

Again, thanks to everyone who gave me their input and thoughts.

X

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to thead jack, but if Wavex could offer his o2.I found an 08' xb12r 1200cc for 8.5k, 9.1k OTD it has 1784 miles,comfort seat & tank bag from buell,the bikes in mint condition and just serviced,the owner was a 62 year old collector, is it a good deal or should I keep looking ? thanks

I`d go check it out, but that's not an amazing deal... it's ok, but not great considering that you could certainly find a new '09 for about $11k or $11.5k OTD. It does come with a few goodies though, so the price is probably just right... go ride it! :)

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Wavex for a input. I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

Anyway, I went to the Harley dealer today (don't have a pure Buell dealer anywhere close) and checked out what they had in stock. The new ones were priced higher than I was willing to pay. However, they did have an '06 XB9SX with only 7,500 miles on it. For the most part, it looks like the XB12. That is, there's more of an upright position than on the Firebolt. Plus, it has the street fighter look to it, which on this bike, I actually like. I sat on it to see how it felt, and I have to say, it felt good. Being that it was raining here today, I didn't get to test it out, but I should be able to tomorrow. That will determine if I will sell my FZ6 and then eventually get one.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Understand that I am in no way unhappy with my FZ6. On the contrary, I love my bike. However, I've always liked the Buell's as well. Worse case scenario is that I get a Buell, hate it, sell it, get another FZ6.

X

The XB9SX is a great bike as well and I was set on it too... that was until I test rode both the 9 & 12 and could not resist the temptation of the that extra little torque :) The diff is really not that big, considering the gearing of the XB9, which is a bit more flexible for city riding... the redline is also a bit higher on the 9.

edit: so did you get it yet??? we will need more pictures!!

Last edited:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
The XB9SX is a great bike as well and I was set on it too... that was until I test rode both the 9 & 12 and could not resist the temptation of the that extra little torque :) The diff is really not that big, considering the gearing of the XB9, which is a bit more flexible for city riding... the redline is also a bit higher on the 9.

edit: so did you get it yet??? we will need more pictures!!

Currently, the dealer only has the used '06 XB9SX, but no used SB12's. I'm sure that I would love to get a 12, but the price for the new ones are a bit more that I'm willing to part with at the moment. Especially with Christmas looming around the corner. I'd be the only one with a gift this year. :D Besides, I personally refuse to make payments on a motorcycle at this time. Got enough payments going on with the car and truck that I have.

As for getting it, I'm currently waiting for some extra money from a side job to appear so I won't have to use up too much of my saved funds. That helps to keep the wife happy. However, when I do finally make the plunge, this forum will be the first place that I post my pics.

I can hear the groans already...

:thumbup:

X

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a chance to ride a buell XB9 for a few hundred miles one weekend. All i can say is they are over-rated. You couldnt pay me to own one of those things. They are uncomfortable and very slow. I felt like i was tied to a tree. I know i didnt buy the FZ for speed but come on, those v-twins are said to have all kinds of low-end torque but i couldnt find any torque anywhere on the bike. Also i thought the motor was reved way too high. The rpms were at 4500 when i was going 50mph. It red lines at 6500 or 7000. Maybe i just love my fz too much and refuse to fall into the "lemming" harley crowd. I have been on this rant long eough.

Ride the bike and make the decision yourself. If you like quality and performance you will NOT get rid of the FZ6.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a chance to ride a buell XB9 for a few hundred miles one weekend. All i can say is they are over-rated. You couldnt pay me to own one of those things. They are uncomfortable and very slow. I felt like i was tied to a tree. I know i didnt buy the FZ for speed but come on, those v-twins are said to have all kinds of low-end torque but i couldnt find any torque anywhere on the bike. Also i thought the motor was reved way too high. The rpms were at 4500 when i was going 50mph. It red lines at 6500 or 7000. Maybe i just love my fz too much and refuse to fall into the \\\"lemming\\\" harley crowd. I have been on this rant long eough.

Ride the bike and make the decision yourself. If you like quality and performance you will NOT get rid of the FZ6.

Uncomfortable and very slow? Reading your post above, it sounds to me like you don`t know what you`re talking about. The stock seat on the XB is more, or at least as, comfy as the FZ6 seat, and it`s definitely not slow unless you don`t know how to ride a v-twin. It does take some adjustments compared to an I-4, but saying that they are uncomfortable and slow is just plain wrong. You may not like the bike and that`s fine... ergos might not be for you or the V-Twin feel may be off to you, but making blunt comments like you did is useless imo.

MisterX, I don`t know if you saw this review yet, but it`ll help you make your decision... it`s a bit old, but the comments are still valid... Check out the competition it managed to beat in this review:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/the-bteam-value-supersport-shootout-2005-14282.htm

Here is an extract:

Breaking the mold is often an exercise in futility. Thankfully for motorcyclists Buell scoffs at futility and the XB9SX CityX is fully capable of scoffing at traditional sport bike design. With bolt-upright seating position; a short reach from the saddle to the one-piece, motor cross style handlebars; super smooth motor for a Harley based V-twin; outstanding brake design and function; virtually maintenance-free belt drive; a wheelbase short enough to compete with a bicycle; stout USD forks that offer a plush ride and a super quiet but nonetheless cool sounding exhaust note, the CityX has a lot going for it. Let's not forget one of the biggest mold-breaking ideas: fuel in the frame and oil in the swing-arm. The CityX is like a Hyena in a pack of dogs: Similar in function but way different in appearance and attitude. Awesome!

As for riding comfort, none in this pack can compare to the Buell. It's incredibly comfortable to ride. Even over 80 mph, windblast really isn't a problem despite the teeny-tiny windscreen. Foot peg position and saddle to bar relation combine to make a nearly perfect set-up. And lest I forget, the tremendous amount of torque offered by the Harley twin is perfect for just about any type of riding except maybe for going all-out on the track. But it's still good for track days especially considering the great grip offered by the Pirelli Scorpion Sync's and the incredible lean angle you can achieve by what seems like limitless ground clearance.

On the gloomy side of things the Buell does lack in a few key areas. Such as passenger accommodations that are almost non-existent thanks to one of the smallest, albeit comfortable, seats. Additionally, the clutch pull and tranny are reminiscent of a 1968 John Deere: clunky and a little notchy. Even though it's fuel injected, fuel and air mixing seems average at best with the occasional stall at stop lights and the poor throttle response off idle only adds to its sub-standard performance [fixed since the article]. Getting back to appearance, the Buell is hands-down the most fun to be seen on. Especially with the transparent, colored faux fuel tank. It should be noted that the material choice for the fuel tank may prove to be a problem in the not too distant future of ownership as it mars and scuffs easily.

The CityX may just be the perfect canyon carver, everyday city thrasher/commuter, hooligan machine, and weekend sport-tourer (so long as you've very little to carry) of the group.

Like I mentioned earlier it's never as simple as a black and white choice. Especially when we have a highly refined, years-in-the-making machine like the CBR F4i and the cutting edge of design meets function with the Buell XB9SX CityX.

So, to reiterate, ruling out all but one bike is never quite that simple and Buell and Honda certainly haven't made it easy. Their pros and cons seem to balance each other out so as not to make the choice between them clear or easy. Yet with the close race between the two I have to give the slightest of edges to the CityX due mostly to rider ergos. Use my opinions and observations as little or as much as you like. Hopefully I've made it a little easier.

-- Pete Brissette

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess some razzing from this group is expected, but don't let that rattle you.
Ever since WaveX got that Buell I've changed my mind about them. I was tainted against them (anything Harley) cause I previously had a Sportster! :eek: However, I really miss the V-Twin type engine. For me the lower seat height & lighter weight (as most are) is most appealing. It enbodies everything I'd like: lower seat, lighter weight & a "Sportbike" feel! If I ever get lucky enough to talk the wife into letting me get something else that XB9whatever will be first on my list!:cheer:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
MisterX, I don`t know if you saw this review yet, but it`ll help you make your decision... it`s a bit old, but the comments are still valid... Check out the competition it managed to beat in this review:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/the-bteam-value-supersport-shootout-2005-14282.htm

Thanks for sharing that article. It helped to answer some of the few remaining questions that I've had about the Buell. I will admit that the end results of the article were a surprise. Especially since they pitted it up against some of the better known/ridden bikes available. If things go as planned, I might be able to pick up the bike as early as this weekend.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

X

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
You`re welcome... BTW, aftermarket parts are all over the place and very cheap (compared to FZ6 parts)...

Oh and as a future Buell owner, you should check out this forum (BadWeb): Topics - Buell Motorcycle Forum

They have 2 factory Buell guys helping out as needed... lots and lots of great info on this site.

Good luck with it all! :cheer:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess some razzing from this group is expected, but don't let that rattle you.
Ever since WaveX got that Buell I've changed my mind about them. I was tainted against them (anything Harley) cause I previously had a Sportster! :eek: However, I really miss the V-Twin type engine. For me the lower seat height & lighter weight (as most are) is most appealing. It enbodies everything I'd like: lower seat, lighter weight & a \\\\"Sportbike\\\\" feel! If I ever get lucky enough to talk the wife into letting me get something else that XB9whatever will be first on my list!:cheer:

I am glad you changed your mind :)

BTW, do you like MV Agusta? would you buy one if you could? Harley owns them too you know :thumbup: And you`d be buying American instead of Japanese lol (The US economy could use it right now!)

It's not because Harley owns Buell or MV Agusta that these motorcycles suddenly start to suck... MV Agustas or Buells have VERY little in comon with a Harley pure blood... the engine (with LOTS of tech added to it) is the only "Harley" thing on a Buell... :rockon:

Last edited:

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you elaborate as to why not?

X
Sure, for starters I had 2 cylinder bike before (Kawasaki) and I wasn't impressed. Lower power and rough when underway and specially when idling at the traffic light. Ride on FZ6 (4 cyl.) is much smoother and that lack of vibration is part of comfort.
I have feeling that you are falling for looks of Buell. Styling is matter of personal taste and can't be really measured as easy as power, or top speed or size. I admit it has unique design so if being different is important ... you have a winner.
Bike is sure more than great looks, or color. How about reliability, comfort, brand name, price, cost of ownership, engineering, easy to ride and more?
I think you are giving more for less

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure, for starters I had 2 cylinder bike before (Kawasaki) and I wasn't impressed. Lower power and rough when underway and specially when idling at the traffic light. Ride on FZ6 (4 cyl.) is much smoother and that lack of vibration is part of comfort.
I have feeling that you are falling for looks of Buell. Styling is matter of personal taste and can't be really measured as easy as power, or top speed or size. I admit it has unique design so if being different is important ... you have a winner.
Bike is sure more than great looks, or color. How about reliability, comfort, brand name, price, cost of ownership, engineering, easy to ride and more?
I think you are giving more for less

The FZ6 is an awesome bike no questions about that. I have owned enough of them to know :) The i4 liquid cooled engine is a work of art imo.

You weren`t impressed by the 2cyl you had and consequently discounted all 2 cyl motorcycles out there for lack of smoothness and low power?? :confused:

By that logic a Ducati 1098 is rough and has low power?

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
I one day in my furutre would love nothing more then to get my hands on a Buell.. but for starters I'm still not comfortable with getting a higher displacement bike and two I can't afford to buy one... but when the time comes.. Buell will be on the top of my list for sure :thumbup:

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is an awesome bike no questions about that. I have owned enough of them to know :) The i4 liquid cooled engine is a work of art imo.

You weren`t impressed by the 2cyl you had and consequently discounted all 2 cyl motorcycles out there for lack of smoothness and low power?? :confused:

By that logic a Ducati 1098 is rough and has low power?

You are right if you look at performance against performance that Buell is right choice. However, initial post was bike for his wife. I would say that woman would always take comfort and other things rather than sports performance when selecting a bike, but I never know ...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
OH yeah I had missed that point :) and I agree with you that the FZ is more comfy than a XB9R... he is now considering an XB9Sx though, which is quite different.

Here is my summary between the XB9Sx & FZ6:

- Comfort: about equal... I personally prefer the Buell plush seat though.

- Performance: XB9 is superior from 0-100mph and for city riding. FZ6 is faster at high speeds > 100mph, goes faster overall and will quick the XB9's butt on the track.

- Maintenance: XB9 has a belt which requires NO maintenance. It also has self-adjusting valves that do NOT require any maintenance ever. Motor and tranny oil changes are a breath, and that's about the only maintenance required. The FZ will need lubbing of the chain every weekend, and the oil filter is a biatch to get to. Oil change intervals are about the same.

- Reliability: I don`t have the numbers, but I am pretty sure the FZ would look better on paper (although I can remember issues like the TPS recall, bad steering head bearings, and didn`t someone lose a front brake caliper not too long ago lol). However, Buell is not what it used to be anymore and reliability is great these days. There are many ppl on the Buell forum with 50k+ miles on their bikes with no issues to report.

- Overall quality of materials and refinements: Buell is superior hands down, but it is also more expensive :( The bike is lighter, has USD fully adjustable Showa forks, fully adjustable Showa shock, 6 piston caliper, an SAE power adapter readily available, belt drive, fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm, great finish overall and a very clean look.
However, the FZ is liquid cooled, which yields more consistent performance, has a center stand and a windshield (for those who want one), and looks awesome (especially naked) and clean as well.
Both bikes have a clunky tranny...

My opinion is that you can`t go wrong with any of these bikes. It depends on what you`re looking for and your personal tastes... some ppl prefer an I4, some prefer a V-Twin, I personally like both depending on the situation and my mood :) I also like the naked look and some ppl prefer their bikes fully dressed... bikes aren`t all about numbers... they are about passion and that's why I get frustrated when ppl bluntly say "my bike is better than yours", or "the FZ is better than the Buell"... it's irrelevant... every bike has it`s good and bad things on the paper, but in reality, the only thing that matters is the rider's personal experience when riding.

OK I`ll stop now, I have to get some work done today :rof:

Last edited:

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
You are right if you look at performance against performance that Buell is right choice. However, initial post was bike for his wife. I would say that woman would always take comfort and other things rather than sports performance when selecting a bike, but I never know ...

Zack,

You're right, the initial post was about me scouting around and looking for the right bike for my wife. And while doing so, I saw the XB9R and thought that it would be a nice bike. Since then, and somewhere buried in these threads, I came across a XB9SX and realized that it would most likely be a better bike in regards to comfort since the XB9R ergonomics are more like a standard sport bike where you have to lean forward as opposed to the XB9SX that sits more upright like the FZ6. In regards to comfort, I would probably agree with your thoughts on the R.

I have ridden the XB9SX and have found it to be a solid bike with a lot of torque and power. In my opinion, it is just as comfortable as the FZ6 and is extremely fun to ride. In terms of speed and HP, the FZ6 has the Buell beat, no questions asked. However, I am not a speed freak, and I rarely go any faster than 90-100 mph.

I am not the kind of person who would buy anything, much less a motorcycle, based on looks alone. I have put a lot of thought and research into the Buell, and even though it pains me to get rid of the FZ6, I personally think that the Buell is more along the lines of what I prefer in a motorcycle.

Understand that I very much appreciate your honesty and opinion based on my initial query. That is why I posted this thread in the first place. Even though I have pretty much made my decision, I took to heart every post that was made, positive or negative about the Buell, and definitely made considerations based on the comments.

Just my $0.02.

:D

X