Tps, grrrrrr!

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope getting the recall work done goes well for you. It seems a lot of dealerships don't have the parts for these older recalls around as you might expect.

I took mine in for the sprocket retaining nut a month ago and it's still at the dealership. They say they're expecting the part in on 6/8. It's pretty aggravating.

Hopefully it'll be easier to get your hands on a TPS replacement.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05 as well and have often wondered if mine had been done,It had 5,800 k's on it when I bought it and now it's on 36,000k's with no probs .

Starting to wish I hadn't looked at this thread !

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with getting it fixed quickly.

I hope getting the recall work done goes well for you. It seems a lot of dealerships don't have the parts for these older recalls around as you might expect.

I took mine in for the sprocket retaining nut a month ago and it's still at the dealership. They say they're expecting the part in on 6/8. It's pretty aggravating.

Hopefully it'll be easier to get your hands on a TPS replacement.

This same thing almost happened to me. Luckily the service manager was nice and went ahead and ordered the nut and let me keep the bike till it came in.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not bothering with a dealer, there aren't any I trust around here. I'm just going to order a new one online.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
This same thing almost happened to me. Luckily the service manager was nice and went ahead and ordered the nut and let me keep the bike till it came in.

I asked the dealership if I could do that but they said I couldn't since it was a safety recall.

I definitely would have done the work myself like you're planning on doing with the TPS, Sawblade, but I couldn't find the part anywhere online. I've also heard that until it gets registered in the system that the work has been done, they'll do it any time you take the bike in. Though I've done all my own work so far, I didn't think it was worth the hassle. Of course, I never assumed that doing it this way would be so much hassle.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I got lucky on this one, took the bike in to YamahaSuzukiWest in Fort Worth a month ago for the TPS recall after a reminder from Yamaha. They had the part in stock and it took a few hours to do the job.

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got ahold of the guy I bought it from, and he never heard of the recall. He was impressed that I took the bike from 7500 to 16000 miles in less than a year though. :D

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site

Had mine replaced a week after purchase, 2004 with 9k, fixed the idle/kill problems. :rockon:

FYI.
You can call yamaha customer service and they can look up your VIN and tell you if it's been done

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally found a local dealer that seems honest, so I'm dropping it off to get the new TPS and front sprocket nut installed once they get the parts in. The problem has gotten worse, and I had to turn up the idle a bit to keep it from dying at stops.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried my two local dealerships (same owners) and could NEVER get a bloody answer out of them about it. I think I may call Yamy direct. Unfortunately I hate the local dealership. You go in there and there will be multiple people at the counter, and none of them will talk to you. They ignore someone that is in there to spend money. I end up saying 'f$£% this' and walk out. I'm also not the only one to have experienced this.

I haven't noticed any probs yet with the TPS, its a 2004.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I tried my two local dealerships (same owners) and could NEVER get a bloody answer out of them about it. I think I may call Yamy direct. Unfortunately I hate the local dealership. You go in there and there will be multiple people at the counter, and none of them will talk to you. They ignore someone that is in there to spend money. I end up saying 'f$£% this' and walk out. I'm also not the only one to have experienced this.

I haven't noticed any probs yet with the TPS, its a 2004.

Bummer that you don't have a good dealership by you.

When the TPS on my 2004 went out, the bike started stalling at stop signs when idling. The first time it happened, I was like "Huh, how did I stall my bike?" Of course it was during a group ride too.... After that first time, I wondered if it was the TPS. I didn't have to wonder long, as it started dying all the time at idle. The recall had just come out the month before, so I brought it in and it's all better now.

I swear that the throttle/injection is less "twitchy" now with the new TPS. There was a BIG discussion about this long ago on the other forum. Nasaman thinks that the new TPS might have a non-linear taper, which could possibly explain why it no longer feels as twitchy.

Now, if they could only make the FZ6 shift smoothly like a real sportbike....

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is in the shop now getting the TPS and sprocket nut recalls done. It took two weeks for the dealer to get the parts in.

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The dealer got the parts in, but I'm in California right now. Luckily I left the bike with my friend so he could drop it off for me. :D

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my TPS replaced last week - it took 10 days for the dealer to get the part in. Yes, I found out the hard way too - on my way to work one morning. The upside of it is that the bike now runs better than ever and it was a free fix :thumbup:

Sawblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the damn dealer has had my bike for a full week but still hasn't finished with it, and that's after I confirmed that they got the parts in before leaving the bike.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(forgive the capitalism at the end)

I must post this every time someone mentioned TPS!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEb5p9-I6g]YouTube - Office Space - World of Warcraft Commercial[/ame]