Top gear engine speeds GS500 v FZ6 v CB400

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
I am currently trading in my GS500 for a FZ6.

I love the sound/feel on the GS500 at 5000rpm sitting on 100kph. Its almost like cruising in over-drive.

My brother has a CB400. At 100kph he's looking for another gear.

I did some calculations to compare the GS v the CB v the FZ6 engine speeds at 100kph each in top gear. You'll find it here:

drop.io wombat1940

or, very briefly

GS500: Engine speed 5000rpm ...................... 100kph
CB400: Engine speed 5396rpm ...................... 100kph
FZ6S: Engine speed 6379rpm ...................... 100mph

This just a summary of the result. Figures used to determine the outcomes can be provided by email upon request.

I'd love comments as to whether I've got it right.

you have KPH on the 2 other bikes and MPH on the FZ... It is like comparing apples to oranges...

Ooooooops!:spank:

Old, old habits die hard.

To say again ....... hopefully correctly this time:

GS500: Engine speed 5000rpm .................. 100kph say 60mph
CB400: Engine speed 5396rpm .................. 100kph say 60mph
FZ6S: Engine speed 6379rpm .................. 100kph say 60mph

To those who wonder why I've done this: I know the 5000rpm/100kpm for the the GS is correct and has been used to extrapolate the engine speeds for the FZ and CB. I''ll get my brother with the CB to check the CB outcome but unfortunately I can't ride the FZ for 6 weeks as my current license in Oz doesn't permit me. So all you FZ riders might be able to check it for me?:D

??? your figures for the fz6 are wrong, i can cruise 60mph in 6th gear at 46xx rpm. Or somewhere around there, i can tell by the mph indicated and my engine rpm to determine the gear i am in.

I agree with fxclm5... your rpm calculations for 100 km/h (60 mph) are quite high. My 2008 FZ6 motors along at exactly 5,000 rpms for an indicated 60 mph on the factory speedometer.

What difference does it make? They're all different engines, with different displacements, with different power curves and characteristics. The FZ loves high rpms and you'd be wasting the gift to never use them. Also, with any engine, it should not be lugged. With this you must remember smaller engines, in comparison to larger engines, lug at higher rpms. In other words 2k rpms may not be lugging in your auto, but will be on your bike.

:thumbup:

??? your figures for the fz6 are wrong, i can cruise 60mph in 6th gear at 46xx rpm. Or somewhere around there, i can tell by the mph indicated and my engine rpm to determine the gear i am in.

Thanks for the responses. Its quite possible the figures are wrong for the FZ. In fact they must be if you and other riders are experiencing lower revs at 60mph in top. One can sometimes be influenced to "work the figures" to come to the conclusion you anticipate. A common problem in all poor R and D work.

It just seemed to me that with such a high reving engine it would have to be reving high (eg. 6000+) in top gear at 60mph. I'm delighted to know its not. I'm not fond of "buzzy" bikes. However with the FZ6S, I thought, well if so "so be it". I'll get all the other features which I love. It was the FZ or the Suzuki SV600S. Great sound, but gees those handlebars with my bad back (I'm 68). But no other suggestions please ......... not at this stage.

Of course I just need to ride the thing, but didn't won't to get it home and find "wish I had a top gear (overdrive) like the GS500".
Thanks again, but in the light of my comments and other responses so far, input would still be appreciated.

See here for the spreadsheet with the full number crunching to those who are interested.

drop.io wombat1940

Last edited:
My FZ6 does 100mph at 14000RPM.

In second gear. :rockon:

Fred

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Ye???????????????
Seriously ............. my GS is very happy and still torquey in 5th at 65mph. Its my mandatory tight cornering gear.

Back to the subject ............... GS v FZ v CB engine speeds

I fell for the trap .................... trying to seek my expected outcomes by challenging some of the spec's in the GS manual. I just didn't believe you would have a gear ratio less than one (4th to 5th and 5th to sixth). When I put the manual spec's in I get this:

GS500: Engine speed 5000rpm .................. 100kph say 60mph
CB400: Engine speed 3911rpm .................. 100kph say 60mph
FZ6S: Engine speed 4623rpm .................. 100kph say 60mph

Which matched fxclm5 figure of 46xx for the FX. Well done mate. What I don't understand is why its reving slower than the GS500 but sounds higher? Maybe its not the rpm of the motor that's the difference but just the sound of a parallel twin against an in-line 4? However it doesn't matter, but lets hope I don't keep trying to put it in 7th at 60mph, to stop the engine sounding as though its looking for another gear.

Last edited:
60mph is 5000rpm, however, I find that the bike prefers cruising around 72ish, just below 6000rpm. Seems to be the sweet spot for my bike.

the difference between the gs and the fz is like night and day..although the fz can plod along in 6th ..they dont like it...the usable power band is almost double what the gs cruised at.

basically put, the agricultural gs twin has 47 hp,11k redline and tops out at 115 mph
the fz has 98 hp 14k redline and will keep going to almost 150mph

i apreciate you may not want /need the bike for all out performance but the stats speak for themselves ..they will change the characteristics massivley

drawing any comparisons on paper (speed/gear/rpm) may be a fun project while your waiting to get on the bike..but there's too many variables between the torquey twin and the revvy four pot ..you will have to change your riding style and gear shift pattern ,possibly prefering to run at 60mph in 4th or 5th.

the difference between the gs and the fz is like night and day..although the fz can plod along in 6th ..they dont like it...the usable power band is almost double what the gs cruised at.

basically put, the agricultural gs twin has 47 hp,11k redline and tops out at 115 mph
the fz has 98 hp 14k redline and will keep going to almost 150mph

i apreciate you may not want /need the bike for all out performance but the stats speak for themselves ..they will change the characteristics massivley

drawing any comparisons on paper (speed/gear/rpm) may be a fun project while your waiting to get on the bike..but there's too many variables between the torquey twin and the revvy four pot ..you will have to change your riding style and gear shift pattern ,possibly prefering to run at 60mph in 4th or 5th.

Oh yes this is all so true: its a fun project ............ only. Nothing will replace the real thing. And when that happens this thread will be just a dream.

Yes I have all the figures for both bikes, and your spot on. However it what you learn and the people you meet during the search, many things totally off topic, but just such great value (eg: gear ratios less than one, the dual Max. Power bikes sold in the US, peg grinders, Fred's FZ6 doing 100mph in 2nd gear :rolleyes: or was it 1000mph in 2nd? :rof: and on and on). What lovely surprises I have ahead of me. Just can't wait...............

when I read the title of this thread I thought you meant top speed that the gear ratio's would allow.by this for example(don't try this at home)" i'm a professional idiot!"I put my bike on the center stand (had my brother help me to stabilize the bike if we were to incur extreme vibration's),started it up put it 6th gear gently let the clutch out to see if this was going to go smoothly,was pleasently suprized at just how well balanced it was;then began to roll the throttle to wide open posistion........it bumped the rev limiter at 166mph.......mission acomplished everthing went very well......YES I KNOW I'M AN IDIOT!!!!!!:D

Back