To much??

SpeedRock

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did an oil change and I think I put to much oil...:spank: :banghead:

How bad is this? I mean how much damage can this do?

I turned the bike on when I was done and let it sit there for a while and then took it for a short spin when I got back I let it sit for a while longer on and it turned off on its own... WTF???? it turned right back on should I be so worried as to take it to the shop?? I am a bit short on cash and I ride about 80 miles round trip to work every day I mean how bad did I f... up here?

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't you check the level first... Then worry...
Did you do anything aside from change the oil??
The only time Ive heard of too much oil causing trouble in an engine was popping a gasket, but it took a while, and there were noises...
Were there any other things going on?? Sounds?? Grunts?? What kind of oil did you use?? Did you change the filter??

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did an oil change and I think I put to much oil...:spank: :banghead:

How bad is this? I mean how much damage can this do?

I turned the bike on when I was done and let it sit there for a while and then took it for a short spin when I got back I let it sit for a while longer on and it turned off on its own... WTF???? it turned right back on should I be so worried as to take it to the shop?? I am a bit short on cash and I ride about 80 miles round trip to work every day I mean how bad did I f... up here?

I don't know how much you mean by overfilled but if you were going slow to reach your mark its probably not as bad as you think. I just stick a clean tubing into the dipstick hole and siphon out a bit till I get it to the level I want. I have noticed that once you are at the correct level it takes very little to make it look very over filled. You may not have as much extra in there as you think, but I would remove the extra anyway just to be sure.

SpeedRock

Reaction score
Visit site
i used motul 10w40 i have almost 13000 miles on it and i also changed the air filter i put a new K&N on there i put 2 quarts an about a 1/4 more, i should have just paid the dam $100 for the oil change and stop beeing so cheap.

This morning on the way to work i had not even made it to the highway and it turned off twice and the oil light came on i was only about 5 miles out so i turned around i am wanting for my mechanic to open up so he can look at it.

i am also thinking that i might have not tighten up the oil filter right and i cant tell if it leaked because it rained last night. the oil level shows very full do... so i don't know... lest see what the $35 dollars per hour expert says... i will be sure to let you all know what the problem was so we can all laugh and learn from my retardness... i have to learn somehow...

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
$35 / Hour? Is this 1985??? Mine is $68 / Hour I beleive!!!
2 1/4 quarts and its full? I don't see how unless you didn't drain it all?
Good luck and let us know.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i used motul 10w40 i have almost 13000 miles on it and i also changed the air filter i put a new K&N on there i put 2 quarts an about a 1/4 more, i should have just paid the dam $100 for the oil change and stop beeing so cheap.

This morning on the way to work i had not even made it to the highway and it turned off twice and the oil light came on i was only about 5 miles out so i turned around i am wanting for my mechanic to open up so he can look at it.

i am also thinking that i might have not tighten up the oil filter right and i cant tell if it leaked because it rained last night. the oil level shows very full do... so i don't know... lest see what the $35 dollars per hour expert says... i will be sure to let you all know what the problem was so we can all laugh and learn from my retardness... i have to learn somehow...

Okay, forget the retard stuff for a minute. Don't worry we'll get back to it LOL!

Tell us from the beginning. How did you change your oil? Did you drain it from the oil drain plug. Did you change the oil filter?

Cliff

SpeedRock

Reaction score
Visit site
well my mechanic is closed on Mondays so I had to go to a local dealer they charge $100 (OUCH!!!) on my way there it started dying out on me as if i was letting off the gas and then coming back on and the dying all together while still in motion and at the stop lights a total of 3 times in a 12 mile run.
Well my oil change is fine, the filter is on there ok the oil level is fine they replaced the spark plugs (it was due and they looked bad anyhow) and that did not fix it now they are getting error codes out of it and that is the last I heard so by my calculations its going to const me anywhere between $300 to $500 if they figure out the problem sometime today if not it will be more and i might just have to sell them the bike to cover the expense, i have no $$$ right now. if credit allows since the wife just stared a new job i might just buy a new or used bike... whatever i can afford will do right now just to get to work except a scooter i rather catch a ride or take the bus.

tomorrow is another day, i will keep playing the lotto and hope for the best i will let you all know...

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Whoa... The drama...

There is too much drama going on in your post(s) for us narrow your problem down. I'm thinking you have some stuff unrelated to the oil fill going on.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Dude. Slow way way way way way way way down.

Back up to the beginning. Go over everything you did in a step by step manner. If you drained all the oil properly and only put 2.25 quarts in it, the oil level should be low. How are you checking the oil?

If you did not drain the oil out of the engine oil drain plug, and only took off the filter then added 2.25 quarts of oil it would probably act just like you described.

Seriously dude relax and write down everything you did in order. BE VERY CLEAR!!! we can not read your mind, but most of us would like to help you.

SpeedRock

Reaction score
Visit site
i have always had a problem with putting my thoughts in to words let alone writing them down, my brain just goes way to fast for my mouth or my tipping skills to keep up... and English is my second language and i am not so good at it.

I will try to brake it down in problems, solutions and the explanations they gave me:

Problem #1: gas briefly cutting out while driving.
Solution: spark plugs.
Explanation: they say that when they replaced them and tested the bike it stopped happening but the bike will still turn off at random... Hum!

and that brings us to problem #2...

Problem #2: Bike turning off randomly.
Solution: ignition/cut off switch and kick stand shut off connection will be replaced
Explanation: wiring/plug or switch gone bad by he the kick stand area (probably caused when i was trying to get the oil filter in/out) and corrosion inside the ignition/cut off switch (the part were the red button and the ignition button are on the right side of the handle bar).

Problem #3: Oil light coming on.
Solution: they added some more oil.
Explanation: i am a moron and cant read instructions... lol... he did not say that but i am sure he thought about it. i really don't care all i can do is learn from it and move on.

it will be about $300 total with parts and labor so its not as bad as i thought.

Thanks for all the help... well at least you all tried ur best with the crappy info i gave.

one last thing: how much oil am i supposed to put in it? so i know fore next time...

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds a bit like a TPS problem? Maybe look at the thread about that, I think the 06 models may have been affected, and the problems caused by this sound VERY similar to your issues.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i find it hard to belive that the spark plugs had anything to do with your problem, but since it was overdue then it is no big deal that they are changed.

I CAN see how you may have tugged on the kickstand wires a bit too much while doing the oil change (you just have to be a bit mroe careful about those wires that run right there)

and do you know how to check your oil level? I always at least double check the level after adding my 3 qts to make sure that one of the bottles wasn't shorted when it was filled.

Keep calm and you can probably get all the help you need from here by just asking in a clear way with some pictures. We can save you $300 next time.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It calls for 2.96 quarts. I, and almost everyone else just puts in 3 full quarts.
If you REALLY think you put in the wrong amount and it's killing you, drain it all out(on the sidestand, with the engine warm) and fill it up with new oil.