Tips on cleaning

richierambler

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been told by the Dealership that using a jet washer at a service station is fine but the Fz6 Manual says this is a no-no.

i have been using simple washing up liquid which shifts the grime fine and then chamois the bike dry.

What do you guys do to clean your bikes?

Whilst i am here, I am having real trouble getting the chain oil and other greasy grim off metalwork and rear wheel. The washing up liquid doesnt shift this so can you suggest a good alternative.

I live in the UK so I may no have access to all products.

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently Washing up Liquid contains SALT, so should be a definate no no, use a Car Shampoo

I have a power washer but have been told not to use it on the bike as the fine spray will get into the electrics. I am still tempted to try it (carefully )when the bike gets really mucky in the winter.

Interesting about using wd40 to remove chain grease etc. will give that a go on

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a a Jet Washer to clean my bike when it gets real dirty. is nly affective way to get grime and stuff out of hard to get to places. Just avoid spraying water near side pods, behind the instrument panel, ans the gap between bottom of tank & frame,where a lot of connections are hidden.

I do this at least once a week, and my bike is fine...Yamaha recommending against it is just a case of Yamaha being ultra conservative to protect themselves, again IMHO.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a bucket of hot water and washing up liquid, it takes me 20 minutes, to half an hour to have it looking like new. I have no idea why you would need to use a jet washer.

Petrol cleans all that gunk off your rear wheel etc. I have to do it every time I clean and relube my chain, which is about once a month.

I know it is excessive but my chain looks like new and takes 10 minutes to do so it is not a problem.

Steve

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pressure washing is a definite no-no. Not only might it muck with the electric, but the high pressure gets water in, past the seals on your wheel bearings, too. Not to mention what other seals might get compromised, such as around the swingarm bearings.

I realize those of you who're using a pressure washer are probably being as judicious as possible with the thing, but it does more harm than good.

Besides the great, simple suggestions already made (WD-40 and good quality car wash stuff) there are also bike-specific cleaners that do a good job of breaking stuff down before you commence with the soap and water. This stuff is similar to using Forumla 409 (no, do not spray 409 on your bike) in how they loosen grime up so that it washes off easier. I also have a set of brushes that are sold for cleaning bicycles that I use on my bike. Not on the paint work, but on the wheels, swingarm, and places where stuff can get a little grimy. Brushes also really help to get into the little nooks and crannies.

webbikeworld did a review of cleaning stuff: Motorcycle Cleaning - webBikeWorld

Other stuff I use: a sheepskin thing for washing the painted bits, two-step cleaner and polish with microfiber cloth on the clear plastic, two chamois (one for drying potentially greasy places, one for paint). I also wear thicker nitrile gloves when I'm washing the bike since there are so many little sharp things just waiting to hack my hands up...

I learned with bicycles that it's easier to do frequent, quick washes than infrequent long and laborious efforts. The dirt just doesn't get a chance to "set". And you'll likely discover stuff before it might damage your bike.

And speaking of crap damaging your bike finish: the day I bought my bike, not a half-mile from the shop, I rode over one of those bloody thin plastic shopping bags that was blowing about in the road. Didn't really give it much thought. Until I got home and saw that it'd completely melted onto my brand new shiny header. Break out the over cleaner...

Apologies for the length of the post.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Petrol is an absolute no ... messes with any rubber bits, like in your chain.

I didn't know about the pressure washer, i'll keep that in mind.

WD40 cleans oil like magic!!!

What i discovered recently that works a charm is paraffin in a small spray bottle. Then i use toilet paper to wipe it off.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been numerous and numerous threads regarding cleaning. I think I have read every one of them.

Here's a summary of what I have learned and seemed be endorsed by most of the forum members:

High pressure washer is not recommended.

Kerosene works great for cleaning the chain, and it will not hurt the O-rings.

WD-40 seems to be peoples favorite for cleaning the grime off the rims.

Do not use Windex, or other harsh cleaners that are meant for glass for washing your windscreen or visor. Use cleaners specifically designed for plastic such as Novus.

Raider 1

Reaction score
Visit site
S100 works great! (Simple green in a pinch) Spray it on then spray it off with a good strong stream of water. I spray the chain with WD40 and use a spray lube on the chain thats safe for o-rings. mothers wax on painted parts. I use my leaf blower to dry then spray it with a fine mist of s100 corosion inhibitor. It looks like its fresh off the showroom floor and it's protected from the elements.

Last edited:

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I use the mr. clean auto dry for general washing. Before I use it I use the Meguiars motorcycle spray and wash to get the hard to get to spots and the sprocket and chain. Then for everyday I have meguiars motorcycle detailer. Here are some links.
http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/home.do
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer>Motorcycle%20Care&sectionID=81101
NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 PASTE this was is awesome it is in this next link.
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's%20Brand)>Auto%20Paint%20Care>Car%20Waxes>Paste%20Car%20Waxes&sectionID=11502

I hope this helps you out on your question I have not had any problems and it does an awesome job.:rockon:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For at an apartment with no hose:
(If hose is available: substitute spray bottle, bucket of clean water, and 1 clean microfiber wash rag with Mr. Clean Auto Dry sprayer w/good filter, or other fine filtering, low/medium pressure water spraying device and ignore instructions about the second bucket)

Ingredients/Required Materials:

1 dirty, cooled down FZ-6 (no hot engine or sitting in the sun)
2 clean wash buckets
1 Mr. Clean Auto Dry type sprayer with good filter
1 spray bottle full of cool clean water
4 clean washrags, preferably 3 microfiber and one dishrag type
2 oz. of mild carwash soap
Cool, clean water source (bathtub, sink, etc.)
Your choice of chain wax
Your choice of automotive paint/surface wax, preferably synthetic
Your choice of plastic protectant
5 gallons of sweat-elbow grease concentrate

Time Required: 1 hour or less

Instructions:

-Use sweat-elbow grease concentrate generously
-Find area to wash FZ-6 and put it there on the center stand, remove seat and set aside
-Remove any items from storage area under seat that may be damaged by water or soap and set aside
-Set aside 1 clean microfiber wash rag in a dry, clean area
-Fill wash bucket(s) with cool clean water
-Put 1 clean microfiber washrag in 1st bucket of clean cool water, set aside
-In the 2nd bucket of cool clean water, add 2 oz. carwash soap, 1 clean microfiber washrag, 1 clean dishrag type washrag and mix for 10 seconds
-Optional/as needed, spay entire FZ-6 with cool clean water from spray bottle to pre-wet the surfaces and help loosen dirt or grime, especially in dirty areas
-Remove soapy microfiber washrag and generously wash from the top down the gas tank, moving backwards to the grab rails (these are generally the two cleanest areas on the bike, this is so not to move dirt and grit from another area onto these areas and scratch them), then go back forward to the mirrors instrument cluster, windshield and fairings, obtaining more water and suds from the soapy wash bucket as needed
-Next wash the forks, front fender, and sides of the frame that don’t have chain wax on them
-Now wash the front rim and sides of the tire completely (not the dirt from the ground on the middle of the tire), while pulling upwards on the front most spokes on the rim, rotating the assembly (remember, this is one reason why we used the center stand)
-Don’t forget the headers and non-oily/grimy parts of the engine with this microfiber rag
-Replace microfiber rag in soapy bucket and take out dishrag type soapy rag, wash oily/grimy parts of engine, under-tail, swing arm, rear wheel, and chain using soapy water and sweat-elbow grease concentrate generously removing built up dirt and grime, that’s all you really need since the dishrag is more coarse and removes grime better
-Replace dishrag type washrag in soapy water bucket and retrieve clean washrag out of clean cool water bucket and begin rinse process in similar order to clean process, working from the top down*
-Use clean water spray bottle to help rinse cracks, crevices, and hard to reach areas*
*= Or use Mr. Clean Auto Dry filtered sprayer on the Auto Dry setting to spray off soapy water
-Once FZ-6 is free of soap and only has clean water on it, remove FZ-6 from center stand and put on side stand BE CAREFUL SLIPPERY WHEN WET, notice the large amount of water that spills off, wipe seat off with clean rinse rage
-Let dry 15 minutes (depending on sunlight, temp, etc.)
-Once dry, take dry clean microfiber washrag and get any excess water underneath the fairing, on front fender, bottom edge of tank, etc. also used to remove any harsh water spots before waxing
-Wax glossy painted surfaces as you wish (and I do the side pods and it works well, and the wax can help remove stuck on bugs from the headlights)
-Apply plastic protectant to plastic pieces such as inner fairing pieces and rear hugger
-Put FZ-6 back up on center stand and lube chain while turning rear wheel by hand
-Clean up, replace articles in storage compartment, put seat back on, and enjoy better than showroom floor looking FZ-6

Note: while cleaning, make sure to not just wipe parts with soapy rag, but to touch them with your hands, to make sure nothing has come loose, etc.

This is what I do at least.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about washing up liquid, it will take off any wax that you have on the bike,

Personally I use a very weak car wash liquid and then use a really high quality polish (normally used on super yachts) about every other wash to bring out the high gloss finish.

Washing up liquid can be used on the parts that have chain oil on them, I tend to use it on the wheels and arm, really how water helps loads.

I also take the screen off every other wash and give that a good clean, particularly as I park under a tree and leaves seem to get sucked in to that bit that nothing can reach without taking the screen off.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Car wash in a bucket of water.... lots of elbow work. Kerosene cleans the chain and does an excellent job on the wheels. I avoid the tires and use it very sparingly.

For me, I rarely wash the bike in the riding season anyway. I do a fine detail job prior to winterizing the bike though so it's very clean for spring. This year, a lot of the bike is coming apart when the season is done. Thus, it will be cleaned beyond belief. I'll have the entire front end off to put in the Racetech springs and replace the steering head bearings with a set of All Balls. Various parts are coming off for a powder coating from all over the bike. Everything will be washed, shined and put back together... everything torqued that I can possibly put a wrench to.

You've all provided some excellent tips here! Much appreciated!!!

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
snowmann: wd-40 is not good for paint if you let it sit. However, it's fine to use it for the purposes described here, such as removing stickers or tar/goo from your finish. I've never experienced any negative effects as a result of using it for such purposes. I just make sure to follow any such use with a little soap and water wash. Can't hurt to put a bit of wax on, too.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been happy using S-200 and an electric leaf blower to blow dry the
hard to get areas.
Don't think I would use a power washer. I do wax the tank, fender, forks,
windshield etc to try and keep the grub off also.
S-200 is available at most dealers. And be sure to use the chain lube that
won't fly off and mess up your nice FZ6.
Cheers Racerws
PS Almost forgot, place rags into exhaust to prevent water from entering.

Last edited:

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
I 3rd the Mr. Clean hose attachment kit. If you use it fairly often the bike always looks pretty good. I ride my bike every day, so I don't try to polish it up to a showroom shine but this kit does keep it nice.

When I'm done, I use my air compressor to blow the water out of all of the nooks and crannies.

Raider 1

Reaction score
Visit site
Try the corosion inhibitor by S-100. It will protect your bike and you can buff it up afterwards. Good for after whatever "cleaning" process you chose to use. It's really good for winter layups as well.