Time to buy a snow mobile

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya same here, I have been riding snowmobiles since i was 10 and bikes since i was 18. I sold mine a couple years a go to buy my first bike, but my dad still has his and never rides it, so I think im gonna take that out this winter!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I started snowmobiling when I was 11 or 12 and rode bike a few times after I was 16 but didnt get my first, my FZ6, till I was 20. We had a little Yamaha Zuma scooter when I was in high school but I don't think that really counts.

My current ride is a 2007 Yamaha Attak GT. Essentially 150HP version of the older R1 motor. EFI, reverse, Ohlins electronically controlled rear shock and GYTR front shocks. We don't ditch bang, only trail ride so the heavier four strokes are just fine and the power is amazing. We had 2-stroke Yamaha triples before. Yamaha snowmobiles are equally as rock solid as their bikes. We've had various different ones since 2000 and never had any problems with them what so ever. I'm usually not a brand loyalists, but with snowmobiles I'm Yamaha all the way. I've ridden various other machines but every time I'm happy to get back on mine.

That's me on the left, on top of a mountain somewhere on the Idaho/Montana border. The other sled is my dads 2011 Vector LTX GT (125HP EFI 3 cylinder).

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I mostly rode new sleds. Back in 98 it was one of the last of the old version phazers. Then it was SRX's then the last ride was a 06 Attack. Haven't been able to ride now in 4 years hence my dad is no longer a dealer but I also have a job that doesn't allow me to have one.... The most fun I had in a straight line was on the drag sled we built.

This is my dad's salesman and the sled he won king of the mountain at a ski resort with it. 2005 Yamaha Warrior stock hp was 140. Bender Stage II Turbo, no slip drive cogs & studded 175hp on pump gas and I believe it was 215hp on race fuel. The really nice thing about the Bender turbo setup is it went on the back of the sled so from the untrained eye it looked stock. You could only see the shiny intake in the hood vents, but when you started it up it was easily twice as loud as stock and only used one of the exhaust ports. It really wasn't all that much fun on the trails.... I preferred the stock attack much better!:thumbup:
tommy%20warrior.jpg

No pics of me on them sorry....

Last edited:

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's a snowmobile? It was 82 here today.

well it is only -3 celsius but the blizzard, yes blizzard is a little annoying

now i have to go to the garage and sit on the bike and make vroom vroom noises.

well at least winter only lasts 6 months
:thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Birmingham, I'm assuming Alabama? Such a beautiful state! I'm currently in Oregon someone can turn the heat on out here! Highs in the low 50's and nothing but rain.... grrrrrrr

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always just borrowed a sled on occasion, until a couple years ago.. I sold my 2006 V Strom and took half and bought a sled.. 3 days later, we got 18" of snow!! The last three winters have been great for sledding in my area and I really enjoy it.. Not as much as motorcycling, but it's better than sitting at home and watching TV..:thumbup:

Last winter after another snowfall..

SDC11031.jpg

And a year earlier, after riding to work.

IMG_4680.jpg

It's a 2003 Polaris 600 Classic.. Electric start, PERC reverse (shuts the sled down and starts the engine running backwards) M10 rear suspension, and mirrors, so I can tell when it's time to slow down for my riding buddy's to catch up. :D

I JUST prepped the FZ6 for winter, dumping in a bunch of SeaFoam and changed the oil and filter. :( I'd rather ride bikes, but if I have to ride something a snowmobile is excellent fun!! Lots of IL and WI state funded trails around me, and I'm a member of a club where I grew up and ride often..

I prepped my FZ6 and my KLR.. I'll prep the BMW R80 tomorrow and continue to ride the Wing until they start dumping salt on the streets.. Coldest I've ridden the Wing was 7 degrees F.. Hell, it'll be 27F when I jump on the Wing to ride to work tomorrow..

Time to prep the sled for the upcoming riding season...:BLAA:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Coldest I've ridden the Wing was 7 degrees F..
Okay, tell me your secret for not having your helmet faceshield frost up below 24 F. That's my limit, and it's less humid here in Utard than in the Midwest... :confused:
In 1995 I had a job interview with an Arctic Cat plant up in northern Minnesota. Sounded like an exciting job, I loved the area, and one job perk was being able to buy their top-of-the-line sled every year, at cost! I was already familiar with how cold the winters could be (I lived in Grand Forks ND at the time) but when I learned there was only one female for every nine guys, I accepted a job in Utard instead.
Northern MN is a different world in the winter. Many of the towns are built at the intersection of a river and a main road, and a lot of businesses have entrances from both directions, because half the customers drive up in a wheeled vehicle, and half ride up the frozen river on their sleds. The bigger lakes are packed with ice-fishing houses, with "roads" plowed in between and even street signs so you can find your "shack". Fascinating...

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, tell me your secret for not having your helmet faceshield frost up below 24 F. That's my limit, and it's less humid here in Utard than in the Midwest... :confused:

Breath through your nose, leave your chin defogging vent open, and don't be afraid to use defogger on the inside..

Here's a bunch of suggestions on a forum that I'm moderator on.. I'm going to try the potato suggestion tonight.. Fogging shield - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum

When snowmobiling, I have a heated face shield on my HJC snowmobile helmet.. The only issue I run into is my glasses fogging/frosting over if it's really cold and humid.. HJC CL-15 / IS-16 Snow Helmet Electric Faceshield - BikeBandit.com

HJCSnowElectricShieldMD.gif

I forgot to mention.. The Wing's barn door does an amazing job of keeping you warm.. I usually ride with my face shield up, even in the cold. I usually have the windshield at the height where I'm just looking over it, but it blocks the wind from your face.. Great when it's cold, but I seldom ride the bike when it's over 60 degrees out because I wear full gear all the time and it's too damned hot to ride behind that barn door when it's hot out..

LakeDelton.jpg

I think I had it out only a couple times after Memorial Day weekend. Vented gear and a naked (or near naked) bike are my hot weather friend..

Last edited: