Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

Z

Zealadin

Really I thought it was just 04 onwards, and unless I've got really bad fuel in the bike I can't imagine whats causing the issues since its new!

skodilak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody.
This spring I bought my first bike FZ6 2006 it was on 6000+ km and since then I've clocked 5000 more km without problem.
Last night as I was cruising on some county roads when I felt a sudden drop in power for a half a second then the nightmare began. Almost every time I tried do accelerate hard between 5-9k rpm the engine gets killed (like there was now gasoline but the tank was almost full). When I turn the kill switch off then on and release the clutch i starts like nothing happened. I tried it in neutral the same thing the engine gets killed around 5k rpm and immediately after that at 6k rpm. Then I rock the bike hard (compressing the suspension back and forward) and tried again it rev up to the 14k rpm easily.
Last night I made the diagnostic thing Do1 and it showed 16-100 with no skips but the engine was cold :(
I will try to stall it and immediately run the d01 when its hot.
What else except the TPS can it be ? I suspect that crappy fuel may block the fuel pump filter!?:confused::don'tknow:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody.
This spring I bought my first bike FZ6 2006 it was on 6000+ km and since then I've clocked 5000 more km without problem.
Last night as I was cruising on some county roads when I felt a sudden drop in power for a half a second then the nightmare began. Almost every time I tried do accelerate hard between 5-9k rpm the engine gets killed (like there was now gasoline but the tank was almost full). When I turn the kill switch off then on and release the clutch i starts like nothing happened. I tried it in neutral the same thing the engine gets killed around 5k rpm and immediately after that at 6k rpm. Then I rock the bike hard (compressing the suspension back and forward) and tried again it rev up to the 14k rpm easily.
Last night I made the diagnostic thing Do1 and it showed 16-100 with no skips but the engine was cold :(
I will try to stall it and immediately run the d01 when its hot.
What else except the TPS can it be ? I suspect that crappy fuel may block the fuel pump filter!?:confused::don'tknow:

Check your vent lines. They may be plugged, or partially plugged, creating a vacuum in the tank.

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello skodilak,

Apart from the TPS, the reason might be as trivial as a clogged air filter. I had both problems (the clogged air filter and the faulty TPS) occur approximately at the same time: when the bike was at 10 - 11 000 km (nasty coincidence, isn't it?). After servicing the air filter, the bike went smoothly for a while and then the problems started again.

The issue was finally resolved after I had the TPS replaced. By the way, I had to take the bike to a non-yamaha repair shop. Shortly before that I found the following technical bulletin on the web. The info here is quite useful in case one has to replace the TPS on their own.

http://www.starchapter451.org/docs/tps_yzf-r1_fz6.pdf

Good luck :)

skodilak

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello skodilak,

Apart from the TPS, the reason might be as trivial as a clogged air filter. I had both problems (the clogged air filter and the faulty TPS) occur approximately at the same time: when the bike was at 10 - 11 000 km (nasty coincidence, isn't it?). After servicing the air filter, the bike went smoothly for a while and then the problems started again.

The issue was finally resolved after I had the TPS replaced. By the way, I had to take the bike to a non-yamaha repair shop. Shortly before that I found the following technical bulletin on the web. The info here is quite useful in case one has to replace the TPS on their own.

http://www.starchapter451.org/docs/tps_yzf-r1_fz6.pdf

Good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestions but it was none of these I have problem with the kill switch. The bike is used despite that it is just 7k km old :D so I think it is related to the crash that it had.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 thats on occasion will stall while coming to a stop. When engaging the clutch and releasing the throttle the bike will stall out while rolling to a stop, a really big pain in the ass while in traffic :) Is this TPS issue the cause of that?
Thanks!

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 04 thats on occasion will stall while coming to a stop. When engaging the clutch and releasing the throttle the bike will stall out while rolling to a stop, a really big pain in the ass while in traffic :) Is this TPS issue the cause of that?
Thanks!

My 04 does exactly the same thing I had the TPS recall done about 10 months ago and it was fine for awhile but now it has started up again. Could it be my TPS went bad again or could it be something else??

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Maybe am I experiencing this faulty TPS too...:rolleyes:
I own a '08 FZ6F (bought brand new at this time) and since one week or two now it works like this:
- Engine cold, just going for a ride, everything is OK: starts and runs great!
- Then, when hot, "sometimes" it stalls on coasting OR "sometimes" engine runs roughly bad in first gear when engaging clutch as starting at low throttle (heavy traffic) OR "sometimes" after a short stop engine doesn't start on idle... BUT "everytime" riding on throttle (let's say more than 2.5 or 3K rev) all is fine.
I'm going to check the TPS... Thanks to all, here.

One more question, please:
When key ON, pressing starter button and starter motor running, the "Engine Trouble Warning Light" lights on, flickering a bit, but goes off as soon as the engine runs (starter button released): is it normal? I can't remember if it happened before the new "behavior" of my bike. Maybe I'm making a new fix on this :rolleyes:

Very helpful threads all over here.

Thanks,
Gobs

RedTrev

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought 04 FZ6N with 7800 miles on clock. Has been running fine for last 2 weeks but yesterday kept stalling on tick over and smelt very rich. After cleaning fuel delivery system all runs well again.
Just happened to find this thread and rang Yamaha dealer to see if my vin No had been registered as have mod on TPS. Turns out that it has not so they have fitted me in for warranty fit (TPS). Thank for very help full info!!

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Hey, I have an 05 Fz6. I am able to get into Diag mode using the instructions you posted, but I can't get it to do anything after that. I've tried pushing both buttons, holding buttons, pretty much any combination you can think of using the two buttons available, but it ONLY stays at Diag. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Got it. On the 05, press and hold the two, turn the key, wait 8 seconds for Diag to pop up. Then release, wait a sec, and press and hold again for another 8 seconds.

Last edited:

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to bump this important thread. Called Yamaha and my 05 FZ6 did not have this fixed yet after giving them my VIN. Getting it done tomorrow.

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
mine had the tps recall bout 4 weeks ago and is now sittin in a strangers backyard 25 miles away, i dunno what to do, starts fine revs fine with sidestand switch spliced and connected at harness end still no joy, soon as u engage gear it cuts engine any help appreciated.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
mine had the tps recall bout 4 weeks ago and is now sittin in a strangers backyard 25 miles away, i dunno what to do, starts fine revs fine with sidestand switch spliced and connected at harness end still no joy, soon as u engage gear it cuts engine any help appreciated.

Sounds like your side stand switch is bad.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

Sounds like your side stand switch is bad.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
101 is not much over. Yamaha set my FJR TPS higher than that per Yamaha headquarters.

Its important all the numbers are there, don't skip going either up or down is what counts.

Last edited:

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
had all switches and loom checked and all ok so not sidestand( that was 1st thing i checked) goin on yamaha diagnostics on mon but i think its cdi/ecu, can this just be hotswapped with new part or does it need reprogrammed with my keys?

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
galen - my TPS was replaced not long ago... Yamaha HQ sent the recall letter to the previous owner, and not me... even tho they had me on me record as the new owner!! Silly Yamaha, as two years down the line, when it started to play up ... they had no choice to replace it cause they screwed up.

Anyway, RE DIAG reading... my bike would read correctly when i turned the key to off, then back to on again to get into diag mode... even though it was bloody faulty!!! My advice is this, if its part of the recall, get it done my friend, regardless..!!

vj