Throttle Body adjustment

Buford

just here for the beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Do the '08 models still require a throttle body adjustment during the first service?

I used to have an FZ6 a couple years ago. I did quite a bit of touring on it. During one of my long trips, the throttle became real wacky. It was because I had neglected to have the throttle bodys synched as Yamaha suggested.

I'm considering getting another FZ6, but it would be nice to know that Yamaha had re-engineered its fuel injection system... so that I could get away without doing the throttle-body adjustments so darn often.

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
first of all, welcome!

second, I also live in So IL, where are you from?

and third, i think you might be the first of us to consider an '08, and i don't believe anyone has one yet, so you may not be able to get a real solid answer to this.

W

wrightme43

The manual says every 4000 miles but I havent done mine yet at 10450. I dont know how long it will go with out sync.
As far as I know 07 and 08 identical.

Buford

just here for the beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! I'm in Marion.

I figured the '08s might be out. Some other brands have their '08s in the dealerships.

My first FZ6 was an '05. I'm not really sure why I sold it... it may have had something to do with being annoyed by the throttle body adjustment requirements. But, it was easily one of the best bikes I've owned (ranking in the top five out of 20 that have been in my garage). I took it cross-country twice, including a 1,767 mile Iron Butt Association ride in 32 hours. So, it served me well. :)

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
The throttlebody adjustment is a relatively easy procedure if you have a motion pro carb stick. It takes abotu 30 minutes the first time and 15 thereafter. I think you'll find the bike may be a bit smoother after the synch.

Buford

just here for the beer
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure I'd have no problem with it. I'm an MMI trained motorcycle mechanic, and I've worked in the industry for a number of years as a tech as well as a service manager. But, just because I can do it, doesn't mean I want to do it. :D

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the dash plastic so you can prop up the tank. That was hassle enough by itself! 4,000 miles seems like a ridiculously short interval for this maintenance. I do alot of distance riding, and some summers I have covered that much highway in a month or two.

I'm not sure what Yamaha does differently than other sportbike brands, but nobody else's fuel injection requires this sort of pampering.

I agree that the bike runs better after the synch. Like I said in my original post, I've experienced the difference first-hand. I was somewhere on the edge of Death Valley when the throttle went to complete crap.

I really did enjoy my FZ6. That's why I was sort of hoping Yamaha had done something to "fix" this. Oh well. Thanks for the input.

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
sweet, i live in frankfort. are you by chance thinking about buying from Yamaha of So IL, they're pretty good guys.

Buford

just here for the beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. :thumbup:

I haven't honestly narrowed down my shopping list yet. I'm sort of wondering if Suzuki is going to come out with a new SV650 for '08. Plus, I have also been eye-balling the Suzuki Bandit 1250 and the Suzuki GSX650F. And, I probably need to sell the Triumph before I get a sporty bike. So, I haven't gotten too serious about my shopping yet. :D

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I would tend to think the '08 owners manual will ask for a sync on the first service. Manufactures usually do not to change written material unless there is a significant design change which I do not see on the '08 engine.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
knowledge of tool for synchronizing throttle bodies?

Yamaha service manual refers to "vacuum gauge carb synchronizer (YU-44456)" to sync the throttle bodies. I'm trying to find one--I'm a do-it-your selfer (purchased the 2007 FZ-6 service manual) and don't mind learning a new procedures. My last bike had carbs. FI is all new to me.

Is there a comparable tool that performs the same job? Sombody mentioned a "motion pro carb stick" in an earlier post. Anybody have tips on synching the throttle bodies on an 2007? I need to buy the tool. Can't seem to find much info on-line about where to buy the Yamaha tool---maybe I have to go to a dealership and pay $$ but might there be a universal tool to do the job?

I'm back on a bike after 25+ years. Love my '07 FZ-6. Last bike: 1971 Honda CB 350. What a difference! Can't wait 'til warmer temps (yeah, even in CA).

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
If I remember correctly, you have to remove the dash plastic so you can prop up the tank. ...

I think if you remove the aft tank bolt slide the tank clear, putting the bolt back in and propped up you shouldn't need to remove cowling. However, removing the inner panel cowling is really not that difficult and its always best to follow the recommend procedures.

wick001

Reaction score
Visit site
I am also wondering if it is really necessary to adjust the throttle bodies @ the 600 mile “tune up”. Because I am getting ready to do mine.

Anyone?

Jason Tikusis

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you people are'nt adjusting the throttle plate screws. The fz has one of the easiest sync set ups ive ever seen. Use the air by-pass screws. And no they dont need constant adjustment.