This is why you must wear helmet..

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a good idea to remove a biker's helmet after an accident, just in case there is some head injury. Let the paramedics handle that. I'm glad he was ok.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a good idea to remove a biker's helmet after an accident, just in case there is some head injury. Let the paramedics handle that. I'm glad he was ok.

hence this sticker:

19102008001-1.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hence this sticker:

19102008001-1.jpg
I would have to disagree with a blanket "Do not remove helmet rule". If the rider is conscious and breathing and removes his own helmet let them. Try to reduce them flexing or extending their neck. In an ideal world if you can keep the lid on it reduces risk. But when your hurt and adrenaline is pumping it's hard to calm people down. Just like the video the rider always tries to get up and move. This is the crucial part of managing them.
The guy in the video removed his own lid. With the conscious riders lid removed, If the rider then goes on to deteriorate and they require CPR the helmet is already off. If possible you need to lie them down and support the head/neck in a neutral position. Laying down with a helmet on prevents this. Talking to he rider and telling them to keep still can be just as good as any spinal immobilization equipment.
If the rider is unconscious and not breathing then the neck is the least of their problems, he will be dead in three or so minutes. you need two people to remove the lid in an unconscious rider to prevent flexing / extension of the neck. But if your on your own with just you and your best mate laying there, what are you going to do?

What I'm getting at is, in this situation there are no hard and fast rules as each Trauma is unique and presents it's own problems.
The priority if possible is airway patentcy and spinal immobilization.

Nelly

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, what comes off? The shoe! Riders, please wear appropriate footwear when you ride. At least he was wearing a helmet, probably saved his life.

But that crash? That was all on him.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
with my crash i apparantly flew through the air and landed on my chin. I dread to think the damage if i'd been wearing an open face helmet.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It's almost like he was trying to hit that car...2 open lanes to the left and he goes off the road to the right and slams into a parked car. Not sure how anyone does that if they are awake.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
It's almost like he was trying to hit that car...2 open lanes to the left and he goes off the road to the right and slams into a parked car. Not sure how anyone does that if they are awake.

Note a pretty girl turns up near the end,So i'm guessing that where his attention was.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked at the early part of the video and can see the rider coming around a curve to his left. Looks like he drifted wide and did not know how to counterstear and when he tried to tighten up his line by turning to his left it stood the bike up and went to his right and right into the car. Easy to do for a novice rider, glad he is OK. Also looks like the driver of the red car was whacked by the door pretty good.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What I'm getting at is, in this situation there are no hard and fast rules as each Trauma is unique and presents it's own problems.

Nelly

I get your point but I would rather a professional assess the situation and decide how the helmet is removed than have some "mate" pull it off and make a bad situation (permanently) worse.

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you guys blind? There was a HUGE flag that was blocking his view. He went around it and bam! He should have gone left instead of right, but maybe he would have had a head on instead.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you guys blind? There was a HUGE flag that was blocking his view. He went around it and bam! He should have gone left instead of right, but maybe he would have had a head on instead.

I wonder who the blind one is, that flag is hanging from the pole visible in the top left corner of the video, in other words it is almost directly above him when he is lying on the pavement.

I mow grass

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to disagree with a blanket "Do not remove helmet rule". If the rider is conscious and breathing and removes his own helmet let them. Try to reduce them flexing or extending their neck. In an ideal world if you can keep the lid on it reduces risk. But when your hurt and adrenaline is pumping it's hard to calm people down. Just like the video the rider always tries to get up and move. This is the crucial part of managing them.
The guy in the video removed his own lid. With the conscious riders lid removed, If the rider then goes on to deteriorate and they require CPR the helmet is already off. If possible you need to lie them down and support the head/neck in a neutral position. Laying down with a helmet on prevents this. Talking to he rider and telling them to keep still can be just as good as any spinal immobilization equipment.
If the rider is unconscious and not breathing then the neck is the least of their problems, he will be dead in three or so minutes. you need two people to remove the lid in an unconscious rider to prevent flexing / extension of the neck. But if your on your own with just you and your best mate laying there, what are you going to do?

Nelly

Nelly hit the nail on the head with this one. We get calls all the time for MVCs w/ motorcycles. If you can avoid removing a pts helmet and they are a&o with a patent airway by all means then leave it on. There are exceptions for this but you could wreck in one state and the first thing they do is yank your helmet off and you might wreck in a different state and they treat you completly different, It all depends on the locals OGs for that agency. Then again like nelly said, no trauma calls are ever the same at all. I have seen people rip helmets off of downed riders and get torn a new one by the doctor working the ED that night. Thankfully most of the people I ride with are the medics/firefighters on my crew so if it ever happens hopefully I will be in good hands.