Things to look for on a used bike

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking a purchasing a 2007 FZ6 from the dealer that has almost 21k miles on it. Had 2 owners but they had the bike serviced there at this particular dealer. The tires look good, but what other items should I look for before I drive it off the lot? Rear Sprocket? Chain? Anything else to look at/ Your advice would be greatly appreciated/ Also is 21k a lot of miles for this bike? Thanks

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
look for a low price ag with that many miles....

also if they did all the servce to that bike ask them for the ervice records for the oil change, fork oil change ect...

Items that should have been serviced by this poing according to the manual are:

Spark Plugs, coolant change and Repack of the swingarm bearing at 16k miles, I have not done any of these, bit if it is a deale4rship they should follow the manual.

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
I offered $3800 and they said Ok. I just want to make sure that it will be Ok for commuting and weekend rides. I did test drive it about 30 minutes and it rode great.

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thought i'd put my .2 in this post. I just purchased my 06 FZ6 with 4500 miles on it for 3800. The bike was in mint condition and it came with frame sliders, disc lock, two bike covers, and a med. helmet from thh. I now i got a really great deal and that it might be hard to come by another just as that.

IMO. i feel that if you want to spend about 4000 on a bike. Search your local craigslist for great deals. Anything more than 4000, i'll be heading towards a dealer.

Remember, that on craigslist, sellers always put a reasonable price but, it's always negotiable.

other than that..21k miles is alot in my opinion even though it was serviced at dealer.. i would probably ask for around 3300 for that bike to be honest, if not less..

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i just did a quick search on craigslist around your area in georgia.

this link is the bike you're interested in getting i believe..
(looks like they could go lower on the price if on craigslist they're asking for only 3900. I'm sure they could bring the price down much more)

Yamaha FZ6

These are just links to other offers:

yamaha 2005 fz6 4k miles only

Yamaha FZ6

Hope this helps!

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike off Craigslist. I paid $4500 to a 3rd party and mine was also an 07 but had under 2,000. In addition, he gave me a tank bag and a Scorpion Helmet. If you don't have to finance, take your time, wait if you have too, and you can get a lot more bang for your buck. Although 20K miles isn't a ton of miles, seems like a lot for what your offering.

Hope this helps.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a heads up that the first big service is coming up at 26k (valve checks). Try to talk them into bike + 26k service for $3800 and that becomes a better deal.

You could probably find an even better deal on craigslist if you give it some time, but if you want to ride now and have the relative peace of mind of a dealer, then that doesn't sound like a bad deal.