The Vectrix SBK ...

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
vectrix_superbike2-1.jpg

"Driven by a 240V, 60kW permanent magnet, brushless DC motor the bike can do the quarter mile in 12 seconds. With company quoted top speeds of over 200km/hr and an ample battery life to keep you throttling the accelerator, the Vectrix blows away the other bikes in terms of technology and eco-friendliness."

So Eco-friendly still means slow ......

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Electric is not progress. Electric or hybrid cars or bikes are stupid. Hydrogen cars and bikes is the future. Anything else is folly and stupid, and a waste of money. Where does electricity come from? 87% burning fossil fuels

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Electric is not progress. Electric or hybrid cars or bikes are stupid. Hydrogen cars and bikes is the future. Anything else is folly and stupid, and a waste of money. Where does electricity come from? 87% burning fossil fuels

Totally agree! ,- lets see a nuclear driven bike instead !!
If a carrier can run for 20 years before re-fuelling, - that MUST be the ultimate way to get good mileage!

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hydrogen? Really? Can you elaborate?

As far as my understanding goes, Hydrogen as a fuel source for vehicles simply isn't an efficient option but I'm no expert on the topic...

Electric is a good power source for vehicles but to be truely 'green' then the Electricity used to charge them would have to come from a source that doesn't use fossil fuel. That's a completely different problem all together.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to have mixed feelings about this concept bike after thinking about it for a while.

Electric isn't all that efficient as a power source for vehicles compared to gasoline. Electric also takes time to charge so long distance riding is out. The company lists ranges varying from 200 KM to 70KM at different speeds so I figure about roughly 100 miles depending on speed and conditions. Here.

It would probably be fun to ride though but really strange since there's no engine noise.

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno if you lot have heard of the "KillaCycle", its a Lithium -Ion BATTERY powered drag bike that has 261kw and can propel the bike from 0 - 100km/h in only1.5 seconds...Sounds like its quicker than just about ANYTHING else out there so efficiency ISN'T a PROBLEM at all....

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
That bike (killacycle) is wicked!!! I saw that on discovery or one of those channels... It's ridiculous! Light turns green, you don't hear any noise, and the bike just shrinks into a dot about a quarter mile away... That IS SICK!!!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Dunno if you lot have heard of the "KillaCycle", its a Lithium -Ion BATTERY powered drag bike that has 261kw and can propel the bike from 0 - 100km/h in only1.5 seconds...Sounds like its quicker than just about ANYTHING else out there so efficiency ISN'T a PROBLEM at all....

Did you also notice that the total running time for that bike is less than 60 seconds ......... Not really a practical setup!

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com
Did you also notice that the total running time for that bike is less than 60 seconds ......... Not really a practical setup!

Yes, but practical technology often evolves from its least practical counterparts. The important first step is almost always building a short lived performance beast, and designing a way to keep that level of performance (or close to it) while maximizing battery life.

Hydrogen is a very efficient way of fueling a vehicle, at the moment the biggest issues arise in a lack of infrastructure, and a lack of appropriate storage means. As soon as there's an easier way to store it as a liquid (requires VERY cold temperatures), development will skyrocket!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Yes, but practical technology often evolves from its least practical counterparts. The important first step is almost always building a short lived performance beast, and designing a way to keep that level of performance (or close to it) while maximizing battery life.

Hydrogen is a very efficient way of fueling a vehicle, at the moment the biggest issues arise in a lack of infrastructure, and a lack of appropriate storage means. As soon as there's an easier way to store it as a liquid (requires VERY cold temperatures), development will skyrocket!

There is a Norwegian project running right now, where they produce the hydrogen on-site. They have developed a phone booth sized hydrogen producing machine, that runs partly on solar power. You add water and electricity (both which are covered by our current infrastructure), and the "Hydrogen-booth" outputs hydrogen.
This seems to be the best solution I have seen so far.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a Norwegian project running right now, where they produce the hydrogen on-site. They have developed a phone booth sized hydrogen producing machine, that runs partly on solar power. You add water and electricity (both which are covered by our current infrastructure), and the "Hydrogen-booth" outputs hydrogen.
This seems to be the best solution I have seen so far.
Interesting! Is there a web site?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Interesting! Is there a web site?

There was a documentary on Discovery or National Geographic about it. As I remember it it was "Norsk Hydro" who's the company behind it.
They have a site called:

Hydrogen Technologies

Where you can find some info about it.

The call it a PEM ...

Here is a cut from their website:

PEM Electrolyser

0.59AE%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Hydrogen Technologies' new electrolyser concept in the 10 Nm3/h capacity range is being designed to meet tomorrow’s requirements for on-site hydrogen generation.
The PEM electrolyser is based on the Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) technology, offering a range of features that are important to meet new market demands.

As for the Pressurised Module Electrolysers, it will operate at a dynamic operating range and have an instant response time.

It is our goal to make the PEM Electrolyser among the best performing electrolysers in the world, allowing operation at high current densities, enabling a compact design for this output capacity.
All the equipment necessary for generation and supply of pressurized, purified and dried hydrogen gas fit into a small cabinet of the generator.

Last edited:

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I snicker a bit myself when I cruise over to Cambridge (MA) and see that every other car is a Prius. That's going to be a lot of batteries to dispose at some point!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I snicker a bit myself when I cruise over to Cambridge (MA) and see that every other car is a Prius. That's going to be a lot of batteries to dispose at some point!

IMO the solution is not here yet.
Someone has to come up with a new kind of engine or a new kind of fuel to make ends meet.
All the technologies available today seems to have to many cons .....

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
One. Electricity does not have to come from fossil fuels (solar cell-phone chargers).

Two. Electric vehicles have the potential to be much quicker than gasoline because you don't have to wait for more fuel to enter the combustion chamber.

Three. Once we figure out the battery storage (lithium-ion batteries store more energy and weigh less than the batteries in today's Prius). You won't need a transmission, cooling system, lubrication system, valves, lifters, connecting rods, mufflers, etc. (fewer moving parts and less friction). If your motor is in the wheel, you don't need a driveshaft or chain. Regenerative braking means that the traditional friction brakes can be smaller and will last much longer.

Four. You could launch to Wagner's "Flight of the Valkeries" - no wait the speakers would weigh too much... ;)

mattcosta7

Reaction score
www.matthewcostabile.com

over 10 years of use, a prius still has a MORE detrimental impact to the environment compared to a range rover!

In order to produce the battery, the greenhouse footprint is so large, that the fuel savings don't equalize for 10 years with 12,000miles per year alotted per vehicle!

I can't remember where I read this, but it was reputable....Top Gear did a segment explaining how the battery travels around the world to just be produced, flying and shipping -- wasting more fossil fuels.

Funny!

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard a similar comparison between hummer h3's and prius's... This is either a really far spread uban legend or (in reality) AN ACTUAL FACT!!! You aren't saving the world in your crappy slow and UGLY little electro-sedan!!! Even a guy who works for honda said he felt guilty when selling them... That means something... When a car salesman feels GUILTY!!!