The "Off Topic" thread...

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Been thinking About a track day. Where in nsw would be the best?

Did someone say "Trackdays" :thumbup:

Mate Eastern Creek is your best bet simply because its the best track we have in NSW. EC is the former home of the Australian GP & there is good reason. It's fast & open with a few 2nd gear hairpins just to remind you what your brakes are for. You to can roll out of the same pit garage that Mighty Mick Doohan once did & hope to christ some silly Spaniard doesn't stick it up the inside at T9. Since Oran Park closed the price has risen again (insert swear words here) & it books out months in advance. I know guys who are on the waiting list for April 9th! Plan ahead & book now for June, July. To be honest these will still be ok. Cooler weather means it wont be so energy sapping & is better on the tyres. Just be patient & allow the tyres to warm up before you have a real crack at it. 2 warm up laps minimum (without tyre warmers) & the surface won't be up to temperature till session 3 in those months.
12 corners in all. T1 will test the best of them & you will have the FZ6 tapped in top gear as you approach it. Ive used a Racechrono GPS lap timer around there & tipped into T1 at 221kmh :rockon: It's serious fun & worth the admission price alone.

Wakefield Park is a fun little circuit. Not as fast as EC but twice as bumpy. That circuit is in need of some serious TLC. Also quite an open circuit with only 1 wall to worry about coming on to the straight. Lovely fast kink at the end of the straight reminds me of Oran Park & will test your goolies as the days goes on. Be warned though. Goulburn is one cold freaking place man. Especially in the upcoming months. Cold tears are common & WP is a great place to destroy a set of new tyres.
Did I mention it's bumpy!

Marulan is a top place to test yourself & your bike. That's it. It's a test/practice circuit. I was there for the 1st ever TD at Marulan riding my VFR400 & I only snicked 3 gear down the straight. 2nd gear tops for an FZ6. It's only 1km long & there is a lovely hump 1/3 the way down the straight to practice wheelies. Give it a bit to keep the front up (in case any girls are watching) then drop the front & hit the picks for T1. It's tight, twisty & 5 laps feels like 10. You really have to man handle the bike & practice easy application of the throttle when tipped over. Get it wrong at Marulan & there will be a wall to greet you on 70% of corners. Again it's it near Goulburn & can be a cold bugger of a place. You really have to take care cos it isn't easy to generate heat into the tyres on such a small layout. Also be mindful the owner has some jealous neighbours & noise is a problem. If you have an after market pipe make sure its below 95 db. In my opinion Marulan is for practicing change of direction in 2nd gear, practicing rolling the throttle whilst at full lean & motards. If you rode a KTM525 with slicks you would be in heaven :D

If you haven't done track days before have a good think before you sign up. You gonna ride or trailer the bike to & from the circuit? WP & Marulan are 2 hours from Sydney. That will mean leaving home before 6am & not getting back till after 7pm. I usually stay in Goulburn the night before just so Im fresh in the morning.

EC is easier to ride there if you're in Sydney but I would still consider the trailer. Just in case the unspeakable happens or you are just dog tired from riding all day. Trust me you will be rooted :D Also if you trailer the bike you can take tools, spares, food, water, fuel & a chair to sit on in between sessions. If you don't have a trailer you can hire one for $40 from a servo.

You will also need a full set of leathers. Either 1 piece or a 2 piece that zips together. Boots, gloves, helmet.......... the usual. I would also suggest a back protector. Ive never left home planning to crash but it happens.........
Particularly if you want to ride Marulan. Those walls are close man. I haven't thrown my leg over a bike in years without wearing a back protector. It's like a lid. If im gonna ride a bike I wear it.

Bottom line is the almighty dollar. EC is the best TD experience you will get in NSW................. it's also the most expensive by a long shot, then WP, then Marulan. There is a reason for that.

BTW there are tyres available at EC & WP but not Marualn. Ambo's present at all circuits. There is power for tyre warmers at all 3 although Marulan kept tripping when we all plugged in at once. If you don't own a set of leathers EC hires them for about $50 for the day.

Sorry for the novel of a post but I hope it answers any questions you haven't thought of yet. Anything else you want to know just ask or PM me. As Wolfman mentioned I am on another forum nswrats.com WE arrange to meet up in the same garages so you already know a few guys & gals before you arrive. Friendly mob & there is nothing like returning to the pits for a debrief (talking ourselves up) & shoot the breeze in between sessions. Site also has quite a few of us who race & there is a wealth of knowledge available.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did someone say "Trackdays" :thumbup:

Mate Eastern Creek is your best bet simply because its the best track we have in NSW. EC is the former home of the Australian GP & there is good reason. It's fast & open with a few 2nd gear hairpins just to remind you what your brakes are for. You to can roll out of the same pit garage that Mighty Mick Doohan once did & hope to christ some silly Spaniard doesn't stick it up the inside at T9. Since Oran Park closed the price has risen again (insert swear words here) & it books out months in advance. I know guys who are on the waiting list for April 9th! Plan ahead & book now for June, July. To be honest these will still be ok. Cooler weather means it wont be so energy sapping & is better on the tyres. Just be patient & allow the tyres to warm up before you have a real crack at it. 2 warm up laps minimum (without tyre warmers) & the surface won't be up to temperature till session 3 in those months.
12 corners in all. T1 will test the best of them & you will have the FZ6 tapped in top gear as you approach it. Ive used a Racechrono GPS lap timer around there & tipped into T1 at 221kmh :rockon: It's serious fun & worth the admission price alone.

Wakefield Park is a fun little circuit. Not as fast as EC but twice as bumpy. That circuit is in need of some serious TLC. Also quite an open circuit with only 1 wall to worry about coming on to the straight. Lovely fast kink at the end of the straight reminds me of Oran Park & will test your goolies as the days goes on. Be warned though. Goulburn is one cold freaking place man. Especially in the upcoming months. Cold tears are common & WP is a great place to destroy a set of new tyres.
Did I mention it's bumpy!

Marulan is a top place to test yourself & your bike. That's it. It's a test/practice circuit. I was there for the 1st ever TD at Marulan riding my VFR400 & I only snicked 3 gear down the straight. 2nd gear tops for an FZ6. It's only 1km long & there is a lovely hump 1/3 the way down the straight to practice wheelies. Give it a bit to keep the front up (in case any girls are watching) then drop the front & hit the picks for T1. It's tight, twisty & 5 laps feels like 10. You really have to man handle the bike & practice easy application of the throttle when tipped over. Get it wrong at Marulan & there will be a wall to greet you on 70% of corners. Again it's it near Goulburn & can be a cold bugger of a place. You really have to take care cos it isn't easy to generate heat into the tyres on such a small layout. Also be mindful the owner has some jealous neighbours & noise is a problem. If you have an after market pipe make sure its below 95 db. In my opinion Marulan is for practicing change of direction in 2nd gear, practicing rolling the throttle whilst at full lean & motards. If you rode a KTM525 with slicks you would be in heaven :D

If you haven't done track days before have a good think before you sign up. You gonna ride or trailer the bike to & from the circuit? WP & Marulan are 2 hours from Sydney. That will mean leaving home before 6am & not getting back till after 7pm. I usually stay in Goulburn the night before just so Im fresh in the morning.

EC is easier to ride there if you're in Sydney but I would still consider the trailer. Just in case the unspeakable happens or you are just dog tired from riding all day. Trust me you will be rooted :D Also if you trailer the bike you can take tools, spares, food, water, fuel & a chair to sit on in between sessions. If you don't have a trailer you can hire one for $40 from a servo.

You will also need a full set of leathers. Either 1 piece or a 2 piece that zips together. Boots, gloves, helmet.......... the usual. I would also suggest a back protector. Ive never left home planning to crash but it happens.........
Particularly if you want to ride Marulan. Those walls are close man. I haven't thrown my leg over a bike in years without wearing a back protector. It's like a lid. If im gonna ride a bike I wear it.

Bottom line is the almighty dollar. EC is the best TD experience you will get in NSW................. it's also the most expensive by a long shot, then WP, then Marulan. There is a reason for that.

BTW there are tyres available at EC & WP but not Marualn. Ambo's present at all circuits. There is power for tyre warmers at all 3 although Marulan kept tripping when we all plugged in at once. If you don't own a set of leathers EC hires them for about $50 for the day.

Sorry for the novel of a post but I hope it answers any questions you haven't thought of yet. Anything else you want to know just ask or PM me. As Wolfman mentioned I am on another forum nswrats.com WE arrange to meet up in the same garages so you already know a few guys & gals before you arrive. Friendly mob & there is nothing like returning to the pits for a debrief (talking ourselves up) & shoot the breeze in between sessions. Site also has quite a few of us who race & there is a wealth of knowledge available.

Awesome writeup mate. Would look good at the top of a "Track Day" Sticky Thread:thumbup: Love ya work:rockon:.

Hmm. Track Day Sticky Thread...I'm on it:BLAA:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Been thinking About a track day. Where in nsw would be the best?

Wow I just realised you're in Wellington. Seriously man you have a long way to go for a TD unless they breathe some life back into the Bathurst short circuit project.
You definitely need a trailer or overnight accommodation if you plan on visiting any of these tracks :thumbup:

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Heya guys sorry I have been AFK for a bit.
Both spook and I shifted house and its been a mess.

A cyclist and I last week decided to use the same road space. He went off to hospital with a broken collarbone.

Cops opinion is no one at fault but I still cant get it out of my mind atm.

Why is it a bike can get up to 50-60kms/ph and not need to be able to stop?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Our crazy lilttle pup got out this morning, and got cleaned up by a car! She then bolted!!! Was eventually found at 2pm this afternoon, in the middle of a major arterial road nearby...

She is ok, looking a bit sore and sorry for herself, but is ok....

Thank god or some higher being for that!!! Would of devastated my 12 year old son if the outcome was much worse!!!!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Our crazy lilttle pup got out this morning, and got cleaned up by a car! She then bolted!!! Was eventually found at 2pm this afternoon, in the middle of a major arterial road nearby...

Thank god or some higher being for that!!! Would of devastated my 12 year old son if the outcome was much worse!!!!

Poor little puppy , glad she is OK though & hope she has learnt a lesson :thumbup:

Our new little puppy learnt a lesson this morning , dont play rough house with the 40kg Basset Hound :rof: She wasnt injured but he scared the $h!t out of her when he playingly pounced at her :rof:.... Funny thing is when she took off yelping with fear he stopped realised what he did then slowly walked over to her & laid down beside her as if to comfort her & say sorry :thumbup:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Aww, crap. Not lil Jess. And it was only 2 weeks ago I said what a different dog she was. Maybe seeing me again brought back memories of old..lol

Glad she's ok, the young'un would've gone nuts.

:rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice timing Dan :)

New rear Z8 for me Monday. $305 fitted...... Damn punctures :rant:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm up for tyres myself.....not sure why but the constabulary don't seem to like you hooting about on a slick....lol...WTF?:BLAA: They'll be $500 fitted:rolleyes: Again.

It's a good thing I love riding my bike or all this tyre purchasing might put me off a bit:eek:.

It's just crap how you buy a new tyre...scrub it in....spend a few hours getting to know it....fall in love for a few weeks....only to watch it die (WHY GOD WHY!)...then head on down to the tyre shop, and get another set, every 4-6weeks.

I should have brought them all home with me afterwards, and when I get back in my own house, I could have buried them in the back yard, with tombstones:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm up for tyres myself.....not sure why but the constabulary don't seem to like you hooting about on a slick....lol...WTF?:BLAA: They'll be $500 fitted:rolleyes: Again.

It's a good thing I love riding my bike or all this tyre purchasing might put me off a bit:eek:.

It's just crap how you buy a new tyre...scrub it in....spend a few hours getting to know it....fall in love for a few weeks....only to watch it die (WHY GOD WHY!)...then head on down to the tyre shop, and get another set, every 4-6weeks.

I should have brought them all home with me afterwards, and when I get back in my own house, I could have buried them in the back yard, with tombstones:D

You might need a bigger backyard!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike back all freshly serviced today , new set of plugs , filters , drink of fresh Motul 7100 & tightened the steering head bearings :rockon: all for a grand total of........................ $251 :thumbup: bloody reasonable price I reckon :D