The money pit :-)

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Mods to happen this winter:

Supersprox 520 chain conversion w/48t rear sprocket (keeping 16t front)
Ohlins or Penske rear shock
Racetech emulators in front fork
Powdercoating some odds & ends

Pics will follow once I get all of this done...! This is going to be a pricey winter :-D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be very interested in how long the 520 lasts.

I've heard that the 520 wears out very quickly, so am looking at putting a 525 on when I need to change chain/sprockets, but if the 520 gives sufficient mileage, I may reassess!

Cheers,
Rick

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site

I've heard that the 520 wears out very quickly, so am looking at putting a 525 on when I need to change chain/sprockets, but if the 520 gives sufficient mileage, I may reassess!

Cheers,
Rick

Our bikes come with a 530 chain because Yamaha's purchasing department only wants to buy one type of chain for their bikes - not becuase our bike *needs* a 530 chain.

Newer style 520 chains are as strong, if not stronger, than average 530 chains.

Also, I'd suggest either sticking with you OEM 530 or going to a 520 - 525's are kinda oddball and really nobody uses them... Good luck finding sprockets for them, too...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not becuase our bike *needs* a 530 chain.

Yeah, I knew that - but I've heard the 520 sprockets (not chain) wont last very long?

Newer style 520 chains are as strong, if not stronger, than average 530 chains.

As above, I'm more worried about the mileage from the sprockets.

Also, I'd suggest either sticking with your OEM 530 or going to a 520 - 525's are kinda oddball and really nobody uses them... Good luck finding sprockets for them, too...

Already found a place to supply a full kit - and they are the same price as the 520.

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I knew that - but I've heard the 520 sprockets (not chain) wont last very long?

As above, I'm more worried about the mileage from the sprockets.

Already found a place to supply a full kit - and they are the same price as the 520.

Cheers,
Rick

The main ones that wear out quick are the 520 aluminum sprockets, the chains normally last a good long time if properly maintained. So if it's mileage you want you can still go 520 but get steel sprockets

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
The aluminum 520 sprockets, for that matter, ANY aluminum sprocket doesn't last very long.

The Supersprox srear sprocket has an aluminum inner and a steel tooth ring - the best of both worlds.

Honestly, I think the *value* of a 525 conversion is too small to warrant the expense. As I said, either go with the 520 or leave it alone.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent, thank you Gentlemen.

With a 520, how often should you adjust you chain? It'll no doubt wear a bit quicker than the oversized 530, but is it much?

Roughly how many kms (or miles) would you expect to get from a chain?)

I like the weight saving and lower rotational mass benefits of the 520, just don't want to have to replace the chain/sprockets every 6000mi!

(my current 530, as fitted when the bike was new, is still looking good after 29000kms!)

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

With a 520, how often should you adjust you chain? It'll no doubt wear a bit quicker than the oversized 530, but is it much?

I like the weight saving and lower rotational mass benefits of the 520, just don't want to have to replace the chain/sprockets every 6000mi!

(my current 530, as fitted when the bike was new, is still looking good after 29000kms!)

Cheers,
Rick

He has an aluminum sprocket but with a steel tooth section so it's has the benefit of lower mass and better wear of steel.

Supersprox!

The only negative I've heard on a Supersprox was a run out problem where the steel tooth section wasn't running true. So when you mount it check it for run out.

Could be the guy damaged it and blamed Supersprox?

40616d1330797323-money-pit-hpim0622.jpg

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers,
Rick

Well that's not really a question that has a answer because it all just depends on how you ride, how you maintain it, and the adjustment of it. I know one guy who got more miles out of a 520 then someone on the same bike with a 530 just because he was meticulous about his maintenance and had a really calm and controlled riding style.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that's not really a question that has a answer because it all just depends on how you ride, how you maintain it, and the adjustment of it. I know one guy who got more miles out of a 520 then someone on the same bike with a 530 just because he was meticulous about his maintenance and had a really calm and controlled riding style.

That is exactly the answer I was looking for, quite surprisingly!

In other words, it's close enough that a well looked after 520 lasts as long as a averagely maintained 530, so therefore, it's not like the 520 is worse by a factor of two or three.

As I have said previously, I am meticulous with all aspects of my bike, so thus can expect decent longevity.

How much was that Supersprox kit?

Cheers,
Rick

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers,
Rick
I've got a 520 chain(RK gold) and supersprox on mine and it's got about 3-4,000 miles on it with no visible wear on either chain or sprocket.

It's just slightly narrower than a 530.