The ancient art of sledging

Re: Australia V's England - First Test!

Well, the Poms managed a respectfully decent 435, after a bit of decent tail-end batting this morning.....and the Aussie's are 39 without loss at lunch....

Hughes looks like he is in good form, Katich playing the anchor role.....cant wait for the next session...could be a very important one....

getting set to watch, with a bucket of chicken wings, cold beers, and smokes!

Cmon Aussie Cmon!

:rockon:

Cricket for our non cricketing friends.

As you may have noticed there have been various comments to and fro between us lot in Mother England and our Antipoean friends,

As cricket is not a terribly well known sport in the US and other non commonwealth countries let me explain how it works for you all.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Now hopefully that's a bit clearer for you. :D

Re: Cricket for our non cricketing friends.

That is exactly why Americans don't enjoy it. We need very similar cars driving in a circle for a long time before we figure out what is going on...... :D

And of course the best thing about going to a cricket match is that it is deemed to be a very socially acceptable way of sitting outside drinking in public for 8-9 hours. :iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::thumbup:

As you may have noticed there have been various comments to and fro between us lot in Mother England and our Antipoean friends,

As cricket is not a terribly well known sport in the US and other non commonwealth countries let me explain how it works for you all.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

I know the rules of the game! Hell, I even played cricket as a kid but after reading that I don't know if the game I played was cricket or not. And my head hurts!

That is exactly why Americans don't enjoy it. We need very similar cars driving in a circle for a long time before we figure out what is going on...... :D

Too Funny!! :rof:

Yeah, don't bother with us Americans. We care as much about Cricket and European Football as Europeans care about American Football and Nascar.

...and for the record Nascar blows!

I think it was Jeff Dunham who said, Nascar is the easiest sport to follow when you are drunk on beer. Hence the popularity :D

Well, Ponting is the latest one to get past 11000 test runs. Too bad Sachin is still miles ahead and still playing :Flip:

This old chestnut, was definitely written after a few too many brews, and is designed to confuse even us cricket tragics......

Love ya work! :rockon:

Well, Ponting is the latest one to get past 11000 test runs. Too bad Sachin is still miles ahead and still playing :Flip:

Yes, but Ricky is quite a bit younger....and has a better average, so my guess is, Punter will catch the little master one day....:Flip:

Truth is, they are both icons of the game, and it's a pleasure to watch either of them, when they are in full flight.

:thumbup:

Oh yeah, at Tea, Australia is now 142/1 and both Katich & Ponting look reasonably comfortable.....even if the Poms keep appealing for anything that goes near the pad.....or gloves for that matter.....their last spirited appeal off Monty's bowling was a disgrace! the ball was about 2 feet from the bat....Lol!

Will be interesting to see what happens after Tea....am guessing Flintoff will come straight back on, and he is the only English Bowler who has really given any of the Aussies something serious to worry about so far....Love his attitude too.....bowls first ball, a bouncer, straight down the wicket to tell the young fella all about it....Love the Ashes!

Yes, but Ricky is quite a bit younger....and has a better average, so my guess is, Punter will catch the little master one day....:Flip:

You do realize you are talking to an Indian here right? I'll rather believe you if you tell me that the Earth is the center of the Universe than when you tell me that :D

And goddammit! I miss watching Cricket on the telly. I'm stuck here at work watching updates on cricinfo :(

Also, Flintoff is the man! This is what Gilchrist said about Flintoff in his Cowdrey speech about the 2005 Ashes series:
"There's no question he and his bowling tactics were inside my mind that series, and I knew I'd hit rock bottom when one night I rolled over in bed to give my wife Mel a kiss goodnight and all I saw was Freddie Bloody Flintoff"

Last edited:

My old school over-looked the Surrey Cricket ground at the Oval. :thumbup:

They used to adjust the school year so we did not clash with the Test matches.:eek:

My old school over-looked the Surrey Cricket ground at the Oval. :thumbup:

They used to adjust the school year so we did not clash with the Test matches.:eek:

Was that Tennysons? My brother in law's old school.

You do realize you are talking to an Indian here right? I'll rather believe you if you tell me that the Earth is the center of the Universe than when you tell me that :D

And goddammit! I miss watching Cricket on the telly. I'm stuck here at work watching updates on cricinfo :(

Also, Flintoff is the man! This is what Gilchrist said about Flintoff in his Cowdrey speech about the 2005 Ashes series:
"There's no question he and his bowling tactics were inside my mind that series, and I knew I'd hit rock bottom when one night I rolled over in bed to give my wife Mel a kiss goodnight and all I saw was Freddie Bloody Flintoff"

Lol! Yes i knew you were Indian, just as soon as you started defending the little Master........dont worry, your angst at Ricky one day outpointing Sachin, is almost unbearable for me, as "the chucker" getting more wickets than Warney!

:eek:

As for Freddy...he is a Pom with an Aussie attitude...we begrudgingly respect him for this in Australia......but he is still a Pom...so we choose to hate him the rest of the time! :thumbup:

Lol! Yes i knew you were Indian, just as soon as you started defending the little Master........dont worry, your angst at Ricky one day outpointing Sachin, is almost unbearable for me, as "the chucker" getting more wickets than Warney!

:eek:

As for Freddy...he is a Pom with an Aussie attitude...we begrudgingly respect him for this in Australia......but he is still a Pom...so we choose to hate him the rest of the time! :thumbup:

Nice avatar by the way Wolfman. Isn't that Javed Miandad with the slugger? Quite a character he was.

Nice avatar by the way Wolfman. Isn't that Javed Miandad with the slugger? Quite a character he was.

Sure is......funniest moment ever! Dennis Lillee would of crushed him like a bug...best part of photo is how Dennis has the fists up and ready for action! lol!

Australia...191/1 with an hour left to play on day two.....:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Scores at end of day 2.......Poms 1st dig...435, Australia, in response, 249/1!!!

With Punter on 100 not out, and Katich on 104 not out!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Back