Test Rode FZ09, R6, and Bolt today.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Like the title says, I test road the FZ09, R6, and Bolt today.

STREET REVIEW

Let me start by this is from a street prospective at speeds that I would ride on a daily basis.

Three VERY different bikes.

I started with the FZ-09, what a bike. The first thing I noticed sitting on it was how small the bike felt, it was almost as if I was sitting on the front wheel. I'm not sure that I liked the handlebar position they could be about an inch farther forward. Once I got on the gas I completely forgot about the handlebars. Wow, does this bike have some get up and go down low. It's got an amazing motor.

After the FZ-09 I moved on to the R6, what a difference. The R6 has a rather aggressive seating position IMO, it actually kind of hurt my bike after about ten minutes. Yet, every time I hit a corner I completely forgot about the fact that I was laying on the tank, this bike was a freakin' rails. The engine on the other hand was nothing to write home about. It didn't feel any faster than my bike, if anything it felt a little weaker down low. It was a huge loss in power compared to the FZ-09.

Finally I hopped on the Bolt, it's not for me. The brakes sucked, the seating position rivaled the R6 in comfort, and it was slow. I kept bouncing it off the rev-limiter. The Bolt did however seem well put together, I'v never ridden a HD 883, but I would imagine the Bolt competes with it just fine.

At the end of the test ride I came to a conclusion of what bike I would buy.

The Bolt was the worst of both worlds, it was uncomfortable and slow. I put it third on my list.

The R6 cornered like it was on rails, but felt rather weak in the motor department and my back didn't agree. I would buy it in a heart beat for track days, or if I lived somewhere with canyon roads. Here in the Midwest, it just doesn't make sense to me as a street bike.

The FZ-09, all the negatives in the reviews are B.S. The throttle response is great, even in A mode it's no problem to get onto the throttle smooth. In B mode the throttle gets even more smooth although the power is reduced to R6 levels. The FZ has gobs of torque and is easy to control in a city environment. In addition it was extremely comfortable. Power is more usable than the R6 and it's more comfortable than the Bolt. It would be my bike of choice for street riding.

P.s. I'm currently riding a 2009 FZ6, it's a sport-standard similar to the FZ-09 and uses a retuned R6 motor.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your findings are similar to mine, except for the FZ09 throttle, I thought it was the worst of any bike I've ever ridden and if I knew there was no way to modify it, I would never buy this bike. If I was still on FZ6 (which doesn't have the smoothest throttle tip in either), it probably wouldn't bother me as much.

The R6.. I've said this a bunch of times.. full-on sport bikes are built for the track, not for the street. R6 will absolutely blow FZ6 away at high RPM, but why would you want to be at 15k rpm on the street? Nevermind the motor.. it's a torture rack which happens to be terrible at tight, slow-speed maneuvers.

Bolt.. yeah.. nothing great about it, but at least the air filter is completely in the way of your right leg :rof:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
The R6.. I've said this a bunch of times.. full-on sport bikes are built for the track, not for the street. R6 will absolutely blow FZ6 away at high RPM, but why would you want to be at 15k rpm on the street? Nevermind the motor.. it's a torture rack which happens to be terrible at tight, slow-speed maneuvers.

That's exactly what my conclusion was.

I'm sure the R6 is great above 12,000 rpm, but this was a street test. Down low it's nothing special, I don't get how people street ride those things. If I bought one the first thing I would do is throw the plastics and ebay and turn it into a track bike.

Now that I think about it, the FZ09 throttle was similar to the FZ6. The R6 was smooth. So it might be that I'm just used to the jerky throttle. I'v read that a smoother FZ09 throttle is a $125 flash away though.

Last edited:

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I own a few R6's...yes, there is not much low to midrange, but once you open it up past 8k RPMS she screams! I love this on the race track. I hated it on the street. This is why my R6 is fully setup for racing now.

A stock R6 actually makes about as much horsepower as the FZ-09. The difference in power you feel is from the torque, and its better low to midrange. The R6 engine is actually quite wonderful with tons of power, just not in the scenario you rode it in.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Right, this was a street review.

The R6 was the best bike out of the group for track use. I could tell that even on the street.

My issue is that I'm thinking about adding a second bike to the stable.

I plan on doing about 2-3 novice track days a year. I'm not out there to put in fast lap times, I'm just out there for fun.

I'm deciding if I should grab a FZ09 for the street and just track the FZ6 or if I should buy a R6 track bike and keep the FZ6 on the street.

In the FZ09 scenario I would get a sweet bike for daily use and I could throw the half fairing back on the FZ6. This would let me use the FZ6 for light touring and track duty.

If I go with an R6 I would keep my FZ6 setup as a naked and it would be my only street bike as I wouldn't ride the R6 on the street.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
You would want to keep your FZ6 for street duty (or get FZ09) and get an R6 for the track. The FZ6, while track worthy, would have limitations as your skill level improves. You would need to change suspension, brakes, & rearsets to name a few. An R6 track bike can be picked up for little money with all the goodies to take you to an advanced level.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You would want to keep your FZ6 for street duty (or get FZ09) and get an R6 for the track. The FZ6, while track worthy, would have limitations as your skill level improves. You would need to change suspension, brakes, & rearsets to name a few. An R6 track bike can be picked up for little money with all the goodies to take you to an advanced level.

Big +1 to using proper bike for the track. Similarly to using R6 on the street.. can be done, but not ideal. I LOVE R6 on the track.. FZ1 wasn't nearly as good for track duty, but I love it for street use.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ09 can be sorted with very minimal work and $.

Front end: revalve & spring $250.
Rear shock: ZX-10 for about $60.
ECU flash: $125.

Those 3 things will transfort the ride.

On mine I have my exhaust and EJK controller: $850.

2004-6 R1 rotors (320mm) and SS lines and EBC HH pads. That I can't wait to test ride... :)

2u3adeje.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Big +1 to using proper bike for the track. Similarly to using R6 on the street.. can be done, but not ideal. I LOVE R6 on the track.. FZ1 wasn't nearly as good for track duty, but I love it for street use.

While I agree what's bugging me is that I don't know if it's worth it to buy a r6 that I'll only ride 2-3 times a year.

And Marthy that's great news, it would make the 09 even better.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I agree what's bugging me is that I don't know if it's worth it to buy a r6 that I'll only ride 2-3 times a year.

And Marthy that's great news, it would make the 09 even better.

I've ridden Marthy's FZ9... absolutely loved it! 100% better than stock, so as he said.. pretty inexpensive to get it to be very very good.

The R6.. I can only do 4-5 track days a year too.. worth it :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ-09:
Any chance that newer releases of the 09 are getting more fuel and less chop chop? Like Yamaha made a map change??

So, benji, if your Fizzer is stock, is the fueling on it a non-issue for you?

For me, its there (chop) and I notice it but its not an issue. The 09 I rode for 19 miles of varying terrain was pretty abrupt but for $125 I'd be all over that!
Of course if I could be rid of it on the 6, that'd be great. I'm getting closer and closer to shipping ECM to Unleashed. Mainly to fix the ignitions spark advance to wake it up.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
It's stock as far as fueling goes. I just cranked the idle up to 1800 and never let my throttle go all the way off and it's pretty smooth now.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle will get you if your not paying attention on the 09:

I have been so vertical in A mode it felt like I was about to go backwards. That's front wheel to the moon and the handlebars in the sunset.

I've gotten used to all modes but B is usually my city map. Wouldn't be afraid to drag a R6 for money ;) (on the track of course!!)

On a straight stretch I popped a wheelie behind a guy on a liter bike. He just kept looking back like WTF?? Why I am I not walking off and leaving him!?!?! (Lower speeds)

Some FZ09s are developing CCT issues as well. Havnt done a whole lot of research, kinda ditched the clic riddled 9 forum

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle will get you if your not paying attention on the 09:

I have been so vertical in A mode it felt like I was about to go backwards. That's front wheel to the moon and the handlebars in the sunset.

I've gotten used to all modes but B is usually my city map. Wouldn't be afraid to drag a R6 for money ;) (on the track of course!!)

On a straight stretch I popped a wheelie behind a guy on a liter bike. He just kept looking back like WTF?? Why I am I not walking off and leaving him!?!?! (Lower speeds)

Some FZ09s are developing CCT issues as well. Havnt done a whole lot of research, kinda ditched the clic riddled 9 forum
That M6 set screw fix the problem on mine. But after having the brilliant idea of pulling mine out to take measurements, the cam gear jump a tooth and I had to pop the valve cover off and time everything up.

Now I'm waiting on the manual adjuster from Ape to do the firt fit. I should get it next week. [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk