Tents

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
So I want to start doing trips that last longer then a day and don't want to rely on motel/hotels (that gets expensive and who knows what in the desert). What are some 2 person (myself and my gear) tents people would recommend for motorcycle travel? My FZ6 does not have any hard case bags, just a small tank bag, a medium/large tailbag and several different types of backpacks. I have no issue/creative issues with using bungee straps, this is more about efficient tents to look for or inefficient tents to avoid. Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a small Kelty two man (can't recall exact model). It packs up really small and is very easy to set up. There is just enough room for one person and gear. I used it last year at Vintage motorcycle days.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Hotels can definitely add up on longer trips, plus many of the camping places these days have pretty decent facilities. I have a Koppen Hamr 3-Person (not much bigger than most 2-Person tents) and my pad is a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir in the regular size. The tent is a two-pole, free stander, with tie downs if needed. 4lbs and rolls to 20”x6” in its drybag style vinyl carry case; Pad rolls to 9”x4”. I’ll be loading them up for a six week road trip that starts next week…on my tenere. :)

Check out Motocampers, too, for tent info and other bits of information on camping.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always wanted to go on a MC camping trip and I plan on it during the cooler weather in high desert like in Joshua Tree Monument.

We lost all our camp gear in our stolen Jeep so when I replaced the tent I picked a smaller one so it would be easy to take on the bike. It works very well for my wife and I and just being a 2 man dome. It's compact light, good quality, and reasonably priced. It's a 3 season tent.

REI Camp Dome 2 Tent - Free Shipping at REI.com

EZ Rider

On the Road
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a single Marmot tent, but my buddy has a double and it packs up fine if he separates the tent and poles. For a sleeping pad, Big Agnes is the best. It's about the size of a roll of toilet paper all packed up and blows up in three minutes for a blissful night of air filled sleep.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into backpackers tents as they are designed specifically to pack down as small and be as light as possible.

I purchased the REI Passage 2 tent for my upcoming cross country trip. I've tested it indoors but haven't had a chance to do a pre trip real test like I wanted but from what I can tell I made a good choice. On a budget I think its one of the better tents out there if not the best and I did a fair amount of research and reading reviews before deciding. Either way check out REI.com and if you have one near you absolutely go in person so you can see how small and light the tent packs down for yourself. If you can't REI puts all that information in the specs so you can still get an idea.

As for carrying it along I have a Givi 45 litter top case and soft saddle bags (kind of wish I had saved up for the Givi side cases instead) but still plan on tying it down to my pass seat so as to not take up too much space elsewhere (I'm going to be away from home for a few months and can use all the space I can get).

William mentioned that he got an air pad and I did too, the “ Exped SynMat UL 7Air Pad" also bought on REI. In my opinion its way more comfortable and packs down a lot smaller (somewhere around the size of one of those reusable water bottles you might bring with you) than the traditional pads I remember using a bunch of years ago hiking with an avid backpacker friend I had at the time.

William: Just curious, where are you headed for 6 weeks? That's a long road trip lol. I'm going to be gone for awhile cause I'm actually going to stay in LA area for 2 months plus about 1 month on the road round-trip.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the passage 2 (2 person) tent from REI. kinda pricey $150 i really like it im 5'7" and my gf and i fit in there w/ a lot of room. sets up in literally less than 4 mins (timed myself lol). if its just u i suggest the passage 1.

heres some pix of mine:
photo3-8.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
x2 on the backpacker tents, I use a Sierra Designs tent (believe REI bought them a while ago) very light and packs small, actually mine is small enough to pack onto the top of the forks if you're naked (or riding a harley) Also highly recommend a 3/4 size air mattress and a sleeping bag big enough for the both of you that will stuffsack down to a compact size.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into backpackers tents as they are designed specifically to pack down as small and be as light as possible.

I purchased the REI Passage 2 tent for my upcoming cross country trip. I've tested it indoors but haven't had a chance to do a pre trip real test like I wanted but from what I can tell I made a good choice. On a budget I think its one of the better tents out there if not the best and I did a fair amount of research and reading reviews before deciding. Either way check out REI.com and if you have one near you absolutely go in person so you can see how small and light the tent packs down for yourself. If you can't REI puts all that information in the specs so you can still get an idea.

As for carrying it along I have a Givi 45 litter top case and soft saddle bags (kind of wish I had saved up for the Givi side cases instead) but still plan on tying it down to my pass seat so as to not take up too much space elsewhere (I'm going to be away from home for a few months and can use all the space I can get).

William mentioned that he got an air pad and I did too, the “ Exped SynMat UL 7Air Pad" also bought on REI. In my opinion its way more comfortable and packs down a lot smaller (somewhere around the size of one of those reusable water bottles you might bring with you) than the traditional pads I remember using a bunch of years ago hiking with an avid backpacker friend I had at the time.

William: Just curious, where are you headed for 6 weeks? That's a long road trip lol. I'm going to be gone for awhile cause I'm actually going to stay in LA area for 2 months plus about 1 month on the road round-trip.

lol great minds think alike! :thumbup:

**forgot to mention that i slept thru a thunderstorm w the tent. held up awesome only downside was that the floor was damp

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

When you're out here you should hook up with us for a ride!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
big agnes lynx pass 3.
it has a big vestibule which is nice.
go to rei and try some out.
remember you can put your tent in a compression bag to save room.

i can put my tent, sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, sleeping mattress and sleeping bag liner in a 27liter ortleib drybag.

William

Reaction score
Visit site

I’m riding up to the Yukon and Alaska for an adventure rally, then straight down to Utah to spend some time in and around Moab…plus a few other places along the way.

It might take longer. :)

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hammock camping FTW! ENO stuff rocks. But if not that I second the backpacker tent. I've got a 3 person marmot that I got at REI that packs up very nice.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have an eureka apex 2... great tent!! just remember to get a few tarps at the dollar store.. they come in handy!!

IMG_0269.jpg

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Kelty Gunnison 2.1 Backpacking tent that I really like. I use it on the bike and with the jetski. I like the Eureka is also a great manufacturer and I think the apex 2 is a sweet tent also. I bought the Kelty because I got a sweet deal at SportsmansGuide.com. +1 on adding a tarp. :thumbup:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ What LERecords said. I just got back from my Yellowstone trip and used my Eureka Apext 2XT - packs fairly small and light, there are exits and vestibules on both sides. I have EMS scout pad and EMS Timberline 25 sleeping bag. This worked out quite well for me. The last night of our backcountry camping it was snowing, but I was quite toasty inside.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with jmnielson. Hammocks all the way. Packs up into a ball and very easy to set up. And they're always comfortable!