Teaching wife to ride my bike, any advise?

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had only rode on the back of my hubbys 3 times, I told him I was sick of looking at myself in the back of his shiny black helmet, I wanted my own. He bought me my FZ off the showroom floor 3 weeks later for my birthday. It was what I learned on. Since then I figured out that it was GREAT that I was shifting early...the FZ is as tame as a puppy when rpms are low.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: MSF Course...

let some one else teach her. have heard of lots of divorces people trying to teach their spouse just to try to play--golf. it isnt if she goes down----

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
She is 5' 7" and is about 150pounds. I don't want her to have a sports bike aggressive style riding position, so no ninja. Rebel seems good but is the one i see on craigslist here is a 1986 for $1650. Dunno if its a good price. I was hoping for a 800 - 1000 throw away bike.

P.S. I'm not saying she can't do it. But she's a mother of a 13 month old and my wife. I can't imagine what I would do if she hurts herself or someone else by cutting her off. Who's going to change the diapers??? j/k!

I vote for the Ninja 250. The FZ6 is not a good beginner bike IMHO.

I have a Ninja 250 and the riding position is NOT aggressive. Ergos are very similar to FZ6 except lower in the seat by about 2 inches and it's about 75 pounds lighter. The 250 is a GREAT bike, especially for beginners. It's very forgiving because power output is about 27 HP but with 14,000 redline you can ride it hard if that's your style. They also handle VERY nicely through Deals Gap :D. I've ridden thousands of freeway miles on Ninja 250, something I'd be hesitant to do on a Rebel. eBAY usually has lots of them in the $1500 to $2000 range for recent low mileage bikes. Got mine off ebay a few years ago (2000 model) for $1600 with 6000 miles on it. If she wants to move up to FZ6 when she's comfortable riding then just sell the 250 on ebay.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Purchase a Honda Rebel 250cc...I wish I still had mine!! perfect...I taught my girlfriend on that! and it's suuuuper cheap on craigslist.

I learned on the street at my house, and then my dad would take me 2-up to the dmv parking lot after they closed to practice the course and circles and stuff...easy enough...once you have balance, just ride ride ride.

just cuz she's a wife/woman doesn't mean she can't do it!

Yep!!

I took the MSF on gz250... http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/ProductDisplay.aspx?modelCode=GZ250K6&activeSection=OVERVIEW

and now the wife is going to take the MSF course
on it.

(I did find an empty parking lot to let her get use to the bike)

We started off by just playing with the friction zone for a while. THen went over front brake then back brake and throttle...

I didn't really try to teach her I just repeated what was said in the MSF.

THe goal was mainly to get her to a comfort level that would allow her to make the most of the MSF.

I didn't want her to "learn how to ride" in the MSF I wanted her to "learn to ride correctly/good"

I think that if you dont have to worry about finding the controls during the MSF you can gain a lot more from it.

but isn't cool to see you girl riding a bike!!! good luck

J

jsteinb95

I don't want her to have a sports bike aggressive style riding position, so no ninja.

The ninja 250 is an awesome bike....No way does it have an agressive riding position, at all!!! The ninja 250 is the PERFECT beginner bike. It's lightweight and comfortable. Seriously, don't let her ride the FZ as a first bike.

I own a ninja 250......I have ridden the FZ and I was very intimidated and did not feel comfortable riding it......I'm still a noobie to riding and have only 1,300 miles under my belt and after riding the FZ, I was very happy to have my ninja (not that I wasn't before).

Last edited by a moderator:

N Spec

Reaction score
Visit site
If she can flat foot it then go ahead and let her. I don't see what the big deal is, it's just a bike. There are bikes that have been dropped and that are going to be dropped. I learned on the FZ, and this is my first bike. Well I had first try on a 650R (and needless to say it was not a good run), but I really learned on the FZ. Learned how to stop and go in a parking lot and was on the road the same day. It quite intutitive really, as if you are one with the bike, once you sit on it long enough. Now I can't put her down.

I'm not saying I am the best rider out there or anywhere near that, but I definately feel comfortable learning and now still riding on the FZ. If she can drive a manual car easily, then she should be able to pick up on the riding pretty easily. She even took the class already for heavens sake. Give it a go and don't be too critical. Don't scold her if she tips it, just be prepared to assist and lift if need be.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As an ex driving instructor my advise is to stop now.

It takes far longer to undo someones incorrect instructions then it does to teach the correct instructions from the outset. Sometimes it is almost like an impossible task and all the time it is taking to correct it is costing you money.

You may be a perfectly safe and experienced rider but that does not mean you know the correct instructions specifically needed for the test.

You may even be giving her an instruction which you think is correct but may ultimately end in an accident.

Get her trained correctly from the start and save yourself a hatfull of money.

Steve

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
If she expresses an interest to ride after the refresher you must help keep her confidence level up. The last thing you want is someone getting on a bike who doesn't have the confidence level to ride it. My wife and I are just learning. She is a much better rider than me (she perfected the MSF class and I passed by one point) but she stop and flopped her bike three times after the course. After that she was very timid with the bike which will just magnify any problems and keep her from riding. I told her not to worry about her bike and she got comfortable again she is out there showing me up.

So ask yourself if your wife drops your bike how will you react? If its not "It is ok lets drop it a few more times to even out the dented fuel tank" then I suggest you find a different bike.

Three things they do not teach you in MSF that you need for street riding:
1) Using your turn signals
2) Down shifting but not coming to a stop (my personal favorite since I learned the hard way you can lock your back wheel without using the brakes)
3) Starting on a hill

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep the FZ in the garage until she is done with the MSF/Refresher course, find an inexpensive Ninja 250 or 500 (I started on the 500) They do not have the same agressive position as the ZXs.. My husband bought me a 96 500EX in 04 for $1700 and the next season we sold it for the same as I bought him a new bike, and i got his ZX6 ( I wish I had kept my 500) Be sure to get FRAMESLIDERS for any bike she is just starting on.. because that will hurt her ego if she drops it she will look at the scratch/dent each time.. I would say after a good amount of time/miles on a 250 or 500 she would be fine on the FZ and she will love it being 5'7" and all ;)

Good luck!

Deb

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We all drop our bikes at one stage or another.

I did in france recently in the middle of nowhere at an uphill juction with sharp left turn on loose gravel....a sure scenario to get you. we were stood still and over we went. We just laughed and got it on its feet again. It happens to all of us.

Get some sliders fitted to the bikes, it saves so much damage.

Steve

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
i've only dropped the FZ....i was mad only at myself...then shrugged it off because it was a stupid accident on a hill...had it repainted on the engine cover to look new again (haha, it only had like 200 miles on it!!)

shiz happens :thumbup:

Strobe

Reaction score
Visit site
lol, well in all theory the R6 has a lower center of gravity... so it would be easier to hold up. =] lolol, have you thought about a dirtbike?

F

formula154

From a female perspective, IMO, I would not have her 'relearn' on FZ. I would suggest retake MSF course then she can decide if the FZ is comfortable to learn since it leaves very little room for error especially with the touchy throttle. A small, recoverable, mistake on a 'starter' bike can be a disaster on the FZ. She needs to assess her comfort level with riding the FZ, and since it is a taller bike is she comfortable not flat foot at a stop(unless she happens to be lucky enough to be flat foot tall). Good luck to you both. :rockon:

I don't think a FZ6 is a good starter bike or a good learner bike.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
As an ex driving instructor my advise is to stop now.

It takes far longer to undo someones incorrect instructions then it does to teach the correct instructions from the outset. Sometimes it is almost like an impossible task and all the time it is taking to correct it is costing you money.

You may be a perfectly safe and experienced rider but that does not mean you know the correct instructions specifically needed for the test.

You may even be giving her an instruction which you think is correct but may ultimately end in an accident.

Get her trained correctly from the start and save yourself a hatfull of money.

Steve

I agree with what you say about the breaking bad instruction but wouldn't it be advised for the rider to be able to ride the bike during MSF. (as in not the first time on the bike during the MSF)?

When I took mine I think they said that you should be able to ride a bike before taking the course, maybe that's a better starting point?

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a GZ250 and loved it I just couldn't keep up with bigger bikes especially on highway when they rolled on to get out of the way I didn't have much left... When I got comfortable I bought a Savage 650 and realized really quickly cruisers were not for me!! Rode it about 5 months the moved up to bigger and powerful Triumph Legend, finished my 1st year riding with 10,000mi under my belt, I did it gradually in my time and comfort zone. I probably would not have done well at all starting out on the Legend or the FZ, I made my share of mistakes on the smaller bikes but was able to compensate and learn so no accidents or even drops, I did however drop the Legend 1st week I owned it, in the parking lot at dealer....dang little white rocks... My riding buddy was great, very patient, he would always lead and always gave me time to pull out right behind him but if I wasn't ready(psyche thing) and didn't pull out he would just go to next safe area and pull over and wait for me. Sorry so long... hopefully informative.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a GZ250 and loved it I just couldn't keep up with bigger bikes especially on highway when they rolled on to get out of the way I didn't have much left... When I got comfortable I bought a Savage 650 and realized really quickly cruisers were not for me!! Rode it about 5 months the moved up to bigger and powerful Triumph Legend, finished my 1st year riding with 10,000mi under my belt, I did it gradually in my time and comfort zone. I probably would not have done well at all starting out on the Legend or the FZ, I made my share of mistakes on the smaller bikes but was able to compensate and learn so no accidents or even drops, I did however drop the Legend 1st week I owned it, in the parking lot at dealer....dang little white rocks... My riding buddy was great, very patient, he would always lead and always gave me time to pull out right behind him but if I wasn't ready(psyche thing) and didn't pull out he would just go to next safe area and pull over and wait for me. Sorry so long... hopefully informative.

Many people misunderstand why you should let beginners lead. It's not so the other riders can critique them, its because beginners are notorious for not being able to anticipate the leaders actions and stop quickly and in a straight line. And some aren't comfortable enough in turns to keep up, so leading lets them set their own pace. And beginners should stay with small groups, say 3 to 5. It's supposed to be fun, not a pressure cooker.

PS: Driving the cage home I saw a pack of about 200+ riders on the freeway this morning. What am I missing... :(