Tank Pads/Protector

pc4now

Reaction score
Visit site
Curious what people are using as a tank pad/protector/bra/cover. I'm trying to avoid zipper scratches on my new '07 FZ6's tank. Searching sites, ebay, etc it seems most pads don't taper down properly to 3" where it meets the seat, such as the ones by ProGrip. The pads seem to roll over the edge on the bottom with a flair. I'm seriously thinking about using an Nintendo DS console pad protector. It's looks like it a perfect fit.

Your thoughts?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I used TechSpec material and made my own tank grips/pads. I think TechSpec now has pre-cut/templates for FZ6 now. The material also comes with a nice, pre-cut tank pad fro the center of your tank to protect against zippers, etc.

DSCF3854.JPG

More info and pics here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/2766-techspec-tank-grips.html

I purchased the Yamaha factory Carbon Fibre tank protector when I bought my bike. NOT worth the price tag but oh well. I bought it sight unseen from the dealer.

DSCF1770.JPG

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will follow the advise and find another.

That real CF one looks good :thumbup: how much did that run you?

pc4now

Reaction score
Visit site

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I will follow the advise and find another.

That real CF one looks good :thumbup: how much did that run you?

Too much!! Not sure the exact ammount but it was around $100.

At teh time (2005) it was a standard Yamaha factory accessory that used to be on their Canadian site.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
You paint that yourself? I see Progrip makes a transparent one but it looks like one solid (no jags) piece.

Anyways.. nice match. Yours looks great.

That is the exact one I bought (5007 Transparent). If you look at it real close you can see the edges, it is the exact same size and cut as the other 5007's on the site.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My husband just ordered one for me from 'Tank Slappers'...you can find them on-line. My son has one on his FZ1, and loves it. It is transparent & only costs around $20. It should be here tomorrow....and hopefully it'll be nice enough to put it on this weekend :thumbup:

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and gals. Do you have any experience on this?

Mag Knight Tank Bra.

It's a magnetic tank protector that covers the middle of the tank and both sides too.

Here's a blue one on FZ6:

KarstFZ6tankreduced.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have no experience with that one, but no matter how well the magnet sticks i always seen to get dirt and dust working under any magnet that i have ever put on metal or a car. Also i know a lof of cars that have magnetic signs on the doors of their car always seem to get scratches and such under the magnet. Possibly because the metal vibes and flexes under the magnet that does so in a different way? but the end result is that the metal always gets scratched up.

Just my $.02

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My husband just ordered one for me from 'Tank Slappers'...you can find them on-line. My son has one on his FZ1, and loves it. It is transparent & only costs around $20. It should be here tomorrow....and hopefully it'll be nice enough to put it on this weekend :thumbup:

+1 ordering mine today.. thanks. :D

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna get this one later this week:

3C3W074000TP_HR.jpg

It's transparent too, so the color of my tank should come right through it. I'll post up pics when I put it on.

Last edited: