Swing arm mod!

rubenblades89

Reaction score
Visit site
I was at the shop the other day picking my bike up after a 16,000 mile service (including a -1 in the front, A MUST!!! :rockon: ) and the shop owner said something.. "I love your bike. The lines and shapes. Everywhere you look, it's interesting:thumbup:.... EXCEPT those swing arms. They look uninspired and boring. Just a rectangular piece of metal." Needless to say I haven't been able to sleep since that conversation:( I've been looking around for some kind of mod to do other than slapping some decal on it. Any suggestions?? Has anyone done something with their swing arms??

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well,I do agreed with your shop owner.The swing arm of FZ6 really looks cheapo as compared to R6 or FZ1.
Why can't yamaha design a better swing arm?I believed we won't mind paying a bit more for a better looking and robust arm,right?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed. It's almost as if the swingarm was an afterthought.

Unfortunately, no one has found a bolt-on replacement/upgrade.

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeap,I think among the 600 class bike,FZ6 have the most cheapo swing arm.Don't u just love the look of GSR600's arm?:thumbup:

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The older swing arms are square and ugly. The ones from the past couple of years are much nicer. I'm considering switching my 2006 swing arm out for the newer design. I actually bought one on eBay last fall. I'm thinking about having it powder coated before installation and haven't gotten around to doing anything at this point.

Which brings up the question - how difficult is it to change out a swing arm on the FZ6.

There are some seriously nice aftermarket swing arms for the FZ6 produced in the UK that looked something like the attached image. I can't find the site now. :(

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the money for the swing arm budget got moved into the center stand budget. I'm happy :D If I were you I would get a sticker that says INSPIRED and put it on the swingarm... then it would speack for itself.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
oh yeah baby, here is an FZ6 with R6 swingarm + R6 laser can:

2363799855_aaebd8ca68_o.jpg

2364631232_f3a8d1c503_o.jpg

2315153147_76d42ee3a6_o.jpg

Don't ask me who it was as I don't remember, but I do remember that he had mentioned it was not hard, but required some custom shims and a little bit of imagination to make it fit...

Someone should do it so we post a HOW TO... would be very interesting...

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was someone from Portugal that did it. Only thing is you can't use underseat exhaust with it, so you have to get a little shorty exhaust and have two big holes under the taillight. Of course someone else has successfully put an R1 tail on the FZ6, so you combine the two:D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was someone from Portugal that did it. Only thing is you can't use underseat exhaust with it, so you have to get a little shorty exhaust and have two big holes under the taillight. Of course someone else has successfully put an R1 tail on the FZ6, so you combine the two:D

You're right, I emailed him over a year ago and we had a nice chat about his project.

It is a slippery slope mod, you do one thing and then you need to do two others. It does look very cool however. :thumbup:

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for putting that up. I love the look of the swingarm. I love my exhausts too much to sacrifice them! Also, he's lost his chain guard there - bet the seat gets messy!

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking into this the other night, I share your sentiments, rather boxy looking swingarm, when compared with the smooth sweeping lines of the chassy. So I had a dig around and found the sbn thread, mentioning someone who was doing a R1 swingarm mod to their FZ6, but it's from 2005! lol

Kept searching and came across this web site, they seem to have it all covered Swingarm.com - 7020 Aftermarket Aluminium swingarms - Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Harley, Honda

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Please keep us updated, this should be my next mod....

As long as i don't loose my double underseat exhaust. Just ordered my TB CF cans ;)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
What about R1 swinarm? R1 has slip on too. Anyone know dimensions?
Okay, after a bit of seraching around, the 2004-2006 swingarms looks like it could be done as the underseat exhaust follows the same sort of path as ours. Pics here and here. Now we need someone with more skills than me to buy a used swingarm and play around! Also, according to this the 2006 swingarm is 2cm longer than 2004-2005.