Sweet Riding in Korea

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics, thanks for sharing, looks like an amazing ride :rockon:

I'd never heard of that app but it's a great way of making a road book :thumbup:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics! And lucky you. When I got to South Korea with the U. S. Army in 1969 and 1970, the roads were all gravel except in Seoul. I was stationed in Dongducheon with the 7th Division headquarters, and drove most of the roads from there north to the DMZ, in a jeep. IIRC there was no railway, no paved roads except on compound, far too many insanely aggressive Kimchi cabs, and no traffic signals except in Seoul. We couldn't bring our bikes. Every week or so there'd be a massive "alert", when all the locals grabbed their weapons and set up checkpoints at intersections looking for North Korean infiltrators. The sole tradeoff was that you could totally stuff yourself with a rice or Ramen noodles meal for 30 won, at that time worth about 10 cents. What a change from then to now! Lucky you!
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics! And lucky you. When I got to South Korea with the U. S. Army in 1969 and 1970, the roads were all gravel except in Seoul. I was stationed in Dongducheon with the 7th Division headquarters, and drove most of the roads from there north to the DMZ, in a jeep. IIRC there was no railway, no paved roads except on compound, far too many insanely aggressive Kimchi cabs, and no traffic signals except in Seoul. We couldn't bring our bikes. Every week or so there'd be a massive "alert", when all the locals grabbed their weapons and set up checkpoints at intersections looking for North Korean infiltrators. The sole tradeoff was that you could totally stuff yourself with a rice or Ramen noodles meal for 30 won, at that time worth about 10 cents. What a change from then to now! Lucky you!
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

From Dongducheon south is now pretty built up. I try to go north of that to avoid as much congestion as possible. Rice and ramen are about 100 times more expensive now but still relatively cheap.

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty awesome ride.
And I bet you can ride all year round since winter over there isn't that bad?

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty awesome ride.
And I bet you can ride all year round since winter over there isn't that bad?

I commute most of the year-round but it's a bit cold for touring. The roads get cold enough that they are not inspiring a lot of traction confidence. I would say we have 8 solid months of good riding each year.