Suz GN 250

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Hey guys, i know this is a fazer forum, but i haven't joined any Suz forums yet, hoping for some advice :D

Picked up a really neat gn250 recently to teach the wife and kids to ride, fully working, but it's been standing a lot so everything is a little bit rusted etc. Going through it one thing at a time, started with back wheel.

Took off wheel, swingarm, back brakes, etc to clean and inspect. But now i can't get the swingarm back? If anyone knows it, the swingarm fits in between the engine and frame on both sides, there's space between the frame and swingarm, but not enough space between the 2 arms of the swingarm to fit either side of the engine mount?

It's like 2 millimetres too narrow, and i cannot figure out how to squeeze it in? There are 2 washers in the end caps that if i remove, it fits fine, but of course the washers MUST be there ... any tips or tricks?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, i know this is a fazer forum, but i haven't joined any Suz forums yet, hoping for some advice :D

Picked up a really neat gn250 recently to teach the wife and kids to ride, fully working, but it's been standing a lot so everything is a little bit rusted etc. Going through it one thing at a time, started with back wheel.

Took off wheel, swingarm, back brakes, etc to clean and inspect. But now i can't get the swingarm back? If anyone knows it, the swingarm fits in between the engine and frame on both sides, there's space between the frame and swingarm, but not enough space between the 2 arms of the swingarm to fit either side of the engine mount?

It's like 2 millimetres too narrow, and i cannot figure out how to squeeze it in? There are 2 washers in the end caps that if i remove, it fits fine, but of course the washers MUST be there ... any tips or tricks?

You know I had exactly the same problem with the FAZER, No matter which way I twisted or turned the swing arm it would not fit. I basically levered the rear of the swing arm right up.
And then raised the pivot point of the swing arm through a vertical plan and it slotted in perfectly. Hope this helps?
The one saving grace is that it came out of there, it will go back in.

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You may want to go to a parts fisch (or check a shop manual) and check the order of any grease seals/washers. Pulling the swingarm, any washers would likely just fall out on the ground and if not paying super close attention, would miss the exact, original location..

Sounds like they may be backwards and not seating fully causing the extra 2 MM's OR simply on the wrong side of the swing arm. If that doesn't work/apply, can you post a picture and the year of the bike so I can look up a parts fisch on the bike.

A google search with some key words may shed some light as well...

BTW, did you pull the bearings on the swing arm and possible NOT seat them fully?

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Thanks Nelly, i've done the Fazer's before, that was easy :D

Townsends thank you ... i can't find a thorough manual for it, only user guide things. But it's straightforward, bolt goes
frame - swingarm tube - cover with washer - engine - cover with washer - swingarm tube - frame.
No washers between swingarm tube and frame, just sorta seals itself there. I know the washer belongs in the cap because it was stuck inside the cap.

Maybe it's just the grease i put inside, or something? It needs to be pressured down inside ? Thing is, even if i got a manual it would tell me in manualese:
put back the same way you got it off LOL

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, at least in the US, its NO NEWER THAN A 1988 MODEL.

Below is link to an 1988 swingarm assembly for the GN 250:

Suzuki Motorcycle Parts 1988 GN250 REAR SWINGING ARM Diagram

It show's the assembly order which should help..

If that doesn't help, got a big 9", 2 hp, hand grinder and a BFH, or, better yet, a welder and turn it into a hardtail?

Last edited: