suspension

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I have been haven a few scary moments where i have been getting a little wheel spin when i am on the power through corners. My tyres have only done 3000 kays and gd. Has anyone got any experience on setting up the rear suspension to stop this happening. Any help would be great thanks

W

wrightme43

What type of tire?
More importantly have you read and put into practice
Kieth Code
Twist of the wrist II?

What is your riding experince level?
I have never spun the rear tire at all on my bike in almost 25,000 miles.
How many miles/kilometers on the bike?
Shock setting?

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, as wrightme suggests, I'd need a little more info before condemning or even adjusting the rear suspension yet.

There have been times when I've "tried" to see if I could get the rear wheel to spin up coming out of a corner and I've yet to break it loose -- granted, I'm not trying too hard as I'd hate for the rear to step out on me.

Are you talking about getting loose as you're tipping in to a turn, mid-way, or on exit? Does it vary depending on the slope of the roadway -- do you see this worse on flatter corners? Does it vary depending on how much the bike is leaned? Is it only the rear that's getting loose? Any movement from the front tire? Where are you riding in the rev range, which powerband are you in, the lower or upper?

I'm curious as to how hard you're crackin' open the throttle. I'm not baggin' on you, just asking and trying to help here, but maybe this is a throttle management issue, rather than a suspension issue.

Of all the nuts on the bike, the most important one is the one holding the throttle.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear tyre spinning up on an fz6,that is something I have not heard of before. In normal cicumstances I reckon you would have to be absolutely wringing the bikes neck,and have some serious heat being put through a very soft race compound tyre,in an environment like a racetrack where the operating temp of the tyre is kept high.

So my thoughts are you are either riding like a demon and need to take yourself to a race track asap,and save these exploits for that environment,or there is something very wrong with your bike,like some sort of coating ok your tyre that is causing it to break traction on the road.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've pushed mine hard enough a few times to break the rear loose/spin a little, but it was under hard acceleration on a tight set of twisties nearby that I ride a lot, I can pretty much tell where/when I'm going to lose traction with the rpm's up. Got the Bridgestone 021's, almost worn down enough to replace. Mine usually only does it when I'm coming back up the mtn., got a clear view of the esses, and hammerin at extreme lean angles.

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, as wrightme suggests, I'd need a little more info before condemning or even adjusting the rear suspension yet.

There have been times when I've \"tried\" to see if I could get the rear wheel to spin up coming out of a corner and I've yet to break it loose -- granted, I'm not trying too hard as I'd hate for the rear to step out on me.

Are you talking about getting loose as you're tipping in to a turn, mid-way, or on exit? Does it vary depending on the slope of the roadway -- do you see this worse on flatter corners? Does it vary depending on how much the bike is leaned? Is it only the rear that's getting loose? Any movement from the front tire? Where are you riding in the rev range, which powerband are you in, the lower or upper?

I'm curious as to how hard you're crackin' open the throttle. I'm not baggin' on you, just asking and trying to help here, but maybe this is a throttle management issue, rather than a suspension issue.

Of all the nuts on the bike, the most important one is the one holding the throttle.
It happens wen I am powering out of corner about 3/4 of the way through. I have the bike at about 8000 to 9500 rpm before the corner so it is producing the power easily. I dont just snap the throttle flat i am winding it on to wat seems to be steady. The tyres i got on are the original dunlops still. the bike only has about 3500kays on the clock. I have heard from 1 person round town that if i put a little more preload on rear spring it should help but i would like to hear more opinions. Once it happened a couple times on the same rang i slowed right down as there is a very big drop on 1 side so i cant tell you if flatter roads are better or worse. No the front tyre was well behaved stayed straight.

W

wrightme43

Man I am going to go out a limb here.
Almost all problems with bike handling, traction, and most other issues are actually rider related.
This is not to be mean or anything just the facts.

If your losing traction it doesnt really have alot to do with preload. That is there to set the suspension so that when your on the bike its in in the middle of its shock travel. Really nothing more than that.

The turn is over when you can do what ever you want with the throttle.
How is your entry line?
Are you making small corrections in the turn?
Are you shifting your wieght before the bike is straight up and down again?
I can go on and on and on. I suck at riding. Horribly. Thats why Ducati and Yamaha are not camped out in my front yard sliding contracts under the front door while I sleep.
I do have the ability to learn. I believe you will be a better, faster, more compentent and safer rider if you purchase Kieth Code Twist of the Wrist II read and attempt to apply the lessons inside the book.

I believe your traction issue will disappear and you will be faster and happier.
Just my opinions and they are only worth what you paid for them.

LOL
Steve

W

wrightme43

Why did I write all that?

You dont need to be powering out of corners. If you can you went in way to slow and are trying to catch up for a botched entry. Fix the entry and you will leave most of the guys in the dust.
MUCH MUCH easier said than done but thats the answer.

IceCarver

Reaction score
Visit site
never had tire spin but quite often the front tire lifts off the ground a few inches coming out hot in a turn not much but enough to wake you up

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go smaller on the front sprocket...and the FZ lifts the front wheel in first 4 gears, if ridden "right".

:rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're that good at getting on the throttle in a controlled fashion you should probably just get a new rear shock and some stickier rubber.

If you add street rubber and street surface to 100hp and a crappy rear shock you get a rear tire that will spin up easily when riding hard (too hard for me on the street but maybe your situation is different).

I fully understand the importance of entry and midcorner speed but IMO "slow" in and fast out is the safest way on the street...unless, of course, you can see through the entire turn.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I fully understand the importance of entry and midcorner speed but IMO \"slow\" in and fast out is the safest way on the street...unless, of course, you can see through the entire turn.

Wise words there.

I've had the rear break on me a few times when I had the stock bt20 on there and a shock setting at 3 (I'm ~260#). It's no big deal though if you're expecting the rear to break I suppose. Just a steady throttle hand. I will say the tires where probably not up to temp yet at least 2 times, but I really didn't like those tires.

I put the rear suspension on 6 and have left it there since. It helped alot. Since I've had my Diablo Strada's on there I can't break the rear unless I really want to.. like hard engine breaking, but gasing out of a corner it's going no where.

To me it sounds like you just need a bit more experience, possibly need to let the tires warm a bit more? Or just wear those POS bt20's and replace em if you have them still.