Suspension talk - Hossack front end

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I don't mean my suspension is talking to me. I cruise the "pre-owned" bikes at my local dealers periodically and for a while was fixated on a BMW K1200S. I've always been interested by it's Duolever front end, which turns out was originally designed by Norman Hossack. Norm's patent ran out and BMW finally picked it up and relabeled it Duolever.

Norm makes it sounds like the best thing since wave rotors. :D It's lighter, stronger, less stiction, cheaper ('though you wouldn't know it by pricing a K1200s). So why hasn't it been embraced by the industry? Norm claims motorcyclists are too conservative and not open to a new design. What do you think? Why has his design not taken off?

Norman Hossack webpage

Graphic from Norm's website:
FrontA.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what i have read, the design is indeed very good, but has polarised opinions a bit.

Now maybe if someone went out and won a World Championship with a duolever, or hossack front end hanging off it, maybe the design would be more eagily accepted, rather than put on a bike like a BMW tourer...

What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday!

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Now maybe if someone went out and won a World Championship with a duolever, or hossack front end hanging off it, maybe the design would be more eagily accepted, rather than put on a bike like a BMW tourer...

Thought the same and kinda surprised BMW's GP bike didn't have it. Can't imagine there's a rule against it.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Wolfman said...."if it ain't broke don't fix it" is the mindset of many bikers and most cant push their "old school" suspensions to the limit any way. And now that BMW owns it.....just makes it harder for other companies, who may be interested, to R&D it more.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Wolfman said...."if it ain't broke don't fix it" is the mindset of many bikers and most cant push their "old school" suspensions to the limit any way. And now that BMW owns it.....just makes it harder for other companies, who may be interested, to R&D it more.

Good point re BMW owning it! Sorta makes it hard for other manufacturers to experiment with it....

I just found this article about suspension, it has a bit about Norman Hossack.

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Norm makes some valid points with acceptance of new ideas. Look how the cruiser market has grown on old technology.

Being a former BMW owner, I know BMW likes to do things different. Sometimes it works, other times it is a bad decision (electric assist power brakes). My BMW's had the Telelever front suspension which is very similar to the A-arm on a car. I liked it because it didn't dive under braking. The Duolever is supposed to do the same, but better.

When they announced the Duolever, there was mention of an issue that took some additional attention by BMW before it was production ready. Sorry, my memory is not as good as it used to be.

I have not ridden a Duolever equipped bike to see how well it works. There are many other suspension designs that have never gone mainstream (Yamaha GTS, Derby, MotoCycz) for various reasons. I hope these people keep tying their ideas and improving on others.