Suggestion fr a tail rack?

Tapped Out

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I are considering going on a trip this summer some time, and I think I may need more cargo capacity than just the saddle bags. can anyone point me in the right direction for a good tail rack?

Tapped Out

Reaction score
Visit site
rite now I have the Cortex Soft sport bags on the sides, I strap them under the seat and they don't give the wife any problems, although I need to make some sort of support brackets to keep them away from the wheel. I need some sort of a rack that I can strap an extra bag to without interfearing with the seeting arangement.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
A little pricey, but if you get the Givi tail rack, you can get lockable storage with a back rest to make the passenger happier.

I went for the Givi v46 top case. I highly recommend it. The g/f likes to have a backrest, it's waterproof, and you can take the whole thing off and into the hotel room.

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Tapped out,

I believe I am right in saying the Yamaha rack is cheaper, and definately easier to fit than the Givi. If you have non oem exhaust then the Givi is not for you.

Well done on getting your wife out on the bike, mine won't ever consider it.
An advantage some of the time but we also miss out too

Tapped Out

Reaction score
Visit site
how much did the Givi cost/ does the mounting rack come with the box or do you buy it seperatly? it may be the thing to get as I was also considering a corbin seat W/ backrest, but the backrest alone is $250+, so a tail box w/ a rest may be cheaper and more practical.

F

FZSex

Thanks swerve - the shad rack is very sturdy and you could strap stuff to it without the need for a top case. I'm sure that can be said for the givi as well.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How about a tank bag?

I also have the Kappa top and side boxes. We went to France for 9 days in the summer but had enough gear to be away for weeks. The advantage of hard boxes is that you can leave the bike and be a tourist knowing all your gear is locked away.

Jannie also likes the fact that she can lean back against the top box.

Steve

thorpe

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha rack with a 46 l Kappa Topcase and am very satisfied. It is easy to mount, just a few screws without deinstalling anything on the bike. the givi rack could give you some problems if you have a non stock exhaust.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Where do you that Yamaha rack in the previous post? Anyone know? I searched all over the Internet

I believe that the Yamaha rack was/is only available outside the US, for example I found it on the Yamaha UK site and on the Yamaha Canada site. In the US, the Yamaha web site offers the Shad rack, which is a little fussy to install, but otherwise I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
If you did go Givi get the M11 top plate not the standard plastic toilet seat.

The M11 is metal tubular and looks like a sports rack, can be used as a rack or takes a topbox. I reckon the M11 looks pretty good when no top box fitted.