stripped gas tank/frame bolts....helicoil fix

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so i was riding to NJ 2 days ago and i took an off ramp and while in the turn i felt my tank wobble a little when my leg was pressing on it....i pulled over to the closest gas station and this little rubber spacer fell slipped under the tank:
photo9-2.jpg

got back home to take off the tank and put the rubber peice back...took off the top left bolt and when trying to take off the right one it just kept spinning :spank:got it off w/ a flat head screw driver to find out that there was like no threads left :(...i blame it half on myself ( i only lifted the gas tank 2 times since i had the bike) and the other half on the previous owner...when i got the bike i should have realized that they were over tightened bc the washer was indented slightly:
photo8-3.jpg

i first went with the jb weld way and the only thing that did was plugged the hole :( so i drilled that crap out of the hole and went to autozone and bought OEM's fix-a-thread M6-1 (basically a helicoil w a tap) $32

heres how the tool is supposed to be used:
photo6-6.jpg

since there is no room to spin the tap i just did this:
photo7-4.jpg

didnt need to drill the hole first since basically all the threads were gone went about half way of the tap:
photo3-6.jpg

time for the helicoil!! screwed it down into place:
photo4-5.jpg

NOW LOOK AT THOSE NEW THREADS lol....dont mind the left over jb weld putty:
photo5-5.jpg

Good as new! lessoned learned use 7 nm of torque and some blue threadlocker

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Love this tool! Have used it many times on my car and always had good results. I even tapped and coiled a tranny mount bolt hole and it seems just as sturdy as the rest of the mounting holes.