Stop, flop, followed by some four letter words

C

CombatPenguin

Well I was on my way to a friends and it started to rain so I went to turn around and go get my car instead. Well I turn onto a side street and turn around in a driveway. Get to the stop sign and start to pull out well my foot was on some gravel and well I slipped choked the bike off and set it on it's side. Me being more worried about the bike than myself shoved my leg into the gas tank so it would slide down slower to the ground while holding the handle bars trying to slow the fall. Well all in all it wasn't bad I was able to hold the bike up so none of the faring or handle bars hit the ground, or even the shift lever. The damage was only to the left foot peg (it bend the ground feeler thing and damaged the threads for that) and it scratched the engine a little. Didn't have frame sliders yet but where it scratched they wouldn't have helped. So the bike spend only a few seconds on it's side I was kinda p***ed off pulled the bike up by the handle bars tried to start it a few time before I remembered I need to shut the key off first. Road it home no leaks or anything so it should be fine I hope. I will just wait and replace the engine cover in the off season I guess unless it's a cheap fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing you didn't hurt your leg....and the bike looks "ok". It could have been worse. I may be wrong but I think those engine covers can be found for cheap too.

EDIT: And don't forget the sliders

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice save! Glad you didn't hurt your leg, those bikes are heavy!

You're right, frame sliders wouldn't have protected from the crankcase damage, at least not with my Motovations. I did a SNF with the sliders on and got the same damage.

J

jsteinb95

Well atleast you are ok and the bike has minor damage.

BE CAREFUL!!!!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
If the sliders are long enough, they'll do a better job in a manor drop. I have the puig ones and they seem "extended" enough.

W

wrightme43

Remove the feeler things. They are bad news.
Get extended sliders.
I had aluminum ones, the consensus is that if I had had derilin I would have less damage then I do. 40-48 mph lowside ZERO scratches on the cases.

Black sharpy marker and sliders and your golden man.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Glad you are ok. Damage does not seem too bad.

Parts found with Part Number: 2C0-15411-01-00
Description COVER, CRANKCASE 1
Price $41.25

I have the Motivation Sliders and they sure look like they would prevent damage to the case?

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get touch up paint from color rite. You can look them up online. www.color-rite.com It is an exact match. a little sand paper and paint you wont even notice it. I am specking from experience. My son did a litle damage in the same spot but a little deeper. I used a dremmel tool to make it smooth and then painted it. Just like new.

C

CombatPenguin

I am going to take the suggestion of sanding is smooth then just painting it. Same for the peg it's fine just the feeler is broke so I just tokk them off both sides. It's not leaking, only cosmetic so there is no need to really replace it. If it wasn't for the peg damage it would just look like a cart hit it or something bumped it. I'm just always paranoid with stuff like that I keep going over the bike making sure not mechanical is wrong. As for the bike it was lighter and easier to pick up than I thought it would be. I'm more mad at myself for doing it than I am at the damage :banghead: , but it happens to everyone and with as light as it hit the ground I'm sure nothing is wrong with it. Oh yeah frame sliders ordered :cheer:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to take the suggestion of sanding is smooth then just painting it. Same for the peg it's fine just the feeler is broke so I just tokk them off both sides. It's not leaking, only cosmetic so there is no need to really replace it. If it wasn't for the peg damage it would just look like a cart hit it or something bumped it. I'm just always paranoid with stuff like that I keep going over the bike making sure not mechanical is wrong. As for the bike it was lighter and easier to pick up than I thought it would be. I'm more mad at myself for doing it than I am at the damage :banghead: , but it happens to everyone and with as light as it hit the ground I'm sure nothing is wrong with it. Oh yeah frame sliders ordered :cheer:

Eh! Sharpie! As mentioned above... All set! :noworries:

Oh, and lube that dry chain! ;)

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got some short sliders from Ebay, they say FZ6 on them I was taking the bike out of the garage and hit a rock that pushed the bike over too much and I let it drop, not a scratch on my casings so I was really glad I put sliders on the bike since day one.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
what is the saying, there are 2 kinds of bikers. The one who went down, and the one who is going to go down. Dont worry about scratching your bike, I mean, i put my bike down on both sides, and have scratches and chips all over, but hell, its my bike, its paid for, i'm not going to sell it. Its going to go down again. As long as its mechanically "OK" then why the fuss? Make it nice and it will tug at the ground with 10 times the force.

C

CombatPenguin

Eh! Sharpie! As mentioned above... All set! :noworries:

Oh, and lube that dry chain! ;)

I use the dupont multi-purpose lube with teflon, it dries to a clear milky white waxish stuff but it has been about a week from the last lube job so I'm sure it's ready again :spam: