Stock front turn signal broken

nsandrews

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
Just purchased a used silver and black '04 fz6 with only 5000 miles on it. Cowling had some damage as well as the signal, but all else is great. Already ordered the fz1 bar and new cowling!

Here's the question; the front left turn signal is not operating at all. I'm guessing it may be just the bulb, so can any of you recommend a cheap replacement other than the $60 oem replacement? If I have to shell out 60 for the bulb I'll just get flush mounts and call it a day.

Thanks for the help!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
Just purchased a used silver and black '04 fz6 with only 5000 miles on it. Cowling had some damage as well as the signal, but all else is great. Already ordered the fz1 bar and new cowling!

Here's the question; the front left turn signal is not operating at all. I'm guessing it may be just the bulb, so can any of you recommend a cheap replacement other than the $60 oem replacement? If I have to shell out 60 for the bulb I'll just get flush mounts and call it a day.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure I understand. If it is just a bulb the repair will be about $2.00

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked up the 2004 and the turn signal assembly in the front uses a dual filament lamp but it's different from the later dual filament lamp used on the FZ6.

The bulb in the 04 has a metal base and looks to be a bayonet type lamp base as apposed to the newer push in type. Make sure the font lamp is a dual filament. Take the lens off and check that the bottom of the socket has 2 buttons that make contact with 2 buttons on the bulb. On filament is for running light and the other filament is for the turn signal. The rear directional assemblies use a single filament lamp an so only have a single button.

Although ron ayers web site has a fiche for the assemblies there is something wrong with the listing and/or and the pricing of the bulbs because they're like $55 for a dual filament!?!?:eek: The descrition of the lamp is a T20 base but....

Do yourself a favor and find LED replacements for all the stalk lamps on your bike.

http://www.ronayers.com/FLASHER-LIGHT--C439503.aspx

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked up the 2004 and the turn signal assembly in the front uses a dual filament lamp but it's different from the later dual filament lamp used on the FZ6.

The bulb in the 04 has a metal base and looks to be a bayonet type lamp base as apposed to the newer push in type. Make sure the font lamp is a dual filament. Take the lens off and check that the bottom of the socket has 2 buttons that make contact with 2 buttons on the bulb. On filament is for running light and the other filament is for the turn signal. The rear directional assemblies use a single filament lamp an so only have a single button.

Although ron ayers web site has a fiche for the assemblies there is something wrong with the listing and/or and the pricing of the bulbs because they're like $55 for a dual filament!?!?:eek: The descrition of the lamp is a T20 base but....

Do yourself a favor and find LED replacements for all the stalk lamps on your bike.

FLASHER LIGHT

Just pulled my ft bulb (its never been out).

Sure enough, it is a push in bulb. It too (like the rear bulb-1157 style) has THREE STALKS and is very large..

On the 07 at least, the bulb pushes straight in, not a two line, round, ground base design..

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50044e4af8700209bc7915b3/flasher-light Its $5.83 for the bulb-your bike (not $55.83) Part # 5GJ-83331-00-00 for the front bulb

For the 07, a slightly different # due to the year, but the same...

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just went to the OEM parts listing on SHS Powersports.com. For the 2004 FZ6 they show:
BULB, FLASHER 5GJ-83331-00-00 1 $7.99 $5.67
$7.99 Retail and they sell for $5.67.

I agree with the switch to LED's 'cause I love the way they look, but that is a different decision.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you check out the fiche diagram at this link: FLASHER LIGHT you'll see what looks like a bayonet type lamp. I don't know if the picture is correct but it is from the 2004 model FZ6 that ronayers.com lists as the 2004. The OP will have to pull the lamp to confirm it is this type. The ronayers.com lists the lamp type as a T20 type lamp but that would not be a bayonet type base on the bulb as depicted.

As Scott said the later FZ6 has a push in type directional lamp.

The front OEM directional lamps will be dual filament and the rear will be single. :)

Edit
: Ive just been through different year fiche on ronayers and the common fishe used for many parts companies shows the wrong lamp in the pictorial so you'll have to pull the lamp...:)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's one phillips head screw underneath and to the outside of the black part of the directional unit.

Once that's out, the entire reflector comes out with the socket/bulb (gently pull it out, no screwdriver needed).

Slighty turn the socket from the reflector and you have access to the bulb. If its the same as the 07, the bulb just pulls straight out.

Its the largest push in bulb I've ever seen (similar to the old dash board push in bulbs, side marker automotive bulbs) but 10x's larger).

In ether case, its easy to swap out..:thumbup:

BTW, that parts fisch pic looks to be the same on each vendor site.

Last edited:

nsandrews

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I took out the bulb and had a look at it and figured it all out. I need to order a few little things for the bike anyway so I'll probably just get the OEM replacement as it's not much more than what I could find at autozone. Thank you all for the advice and details on the part numbers, I'm a new fz6 owner that still needs to learn the ins and outs of the bike :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I took out the bulb and had a look at it and figured it all out. I need to order a few little things for the bike anyway so I'll probably just get the OEM replacement as it's not much more than what I could find at autozone. Thank you all for the advice and details on the part numbers, I'm a new fz6 owner that still needs to learn the ins and outs of the bike :thumbup:

The OEM unit will be literally stronger/stouter than anything at an auto parts store. The third stalk on the Yamaha bulb would increase its durability.

I can't speak for the brightness on the front bulbs, but I do know, on the rear tail light (also three stems-different base), the three stem Yamaha bulb is slightly brighter than a regular 1157. I happened to have one of each plugged into the tail lights (two bulbs) of my FJR at the same time.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site

404, Page Not Found

Sorry to necro an older thread, but can you just do that? Drop in LED equivalent bulbs into the stalk flashers? I've been searching around for bulbs that would do this. I'd prefer NOT to have to add the relays for proper flashing if I didn't have to. I have a 2007 model FZ6.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably not enough resistance. I lost one of my clear alternatives lenses so bought whole new (clear) tail lights from China which are not led and still flash fast - but I kind of like it.