Still won't start. Bad fuel pump?

Truthalive7

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got all the electrical **** on my bike working, and when I hit the starter button it turns, but it won't start. I checked every spark plug line and I saw every one spark except line 1, but I think I may have just had a bad connection. So now I am thinking the fuel pump is bad. I pulled the fuel line off the tank and started the bike so see if fuel squirted out, and saw nothing. Then I pulled out the fuel pump and connected it directly to the battery and it kind of jumped to life and the felt like is seized up. Could this be my problem? Or would it still be able to start? Just a few days ago I peered down the throttle bodies while hitting the started and I saw fuel spraying, so I thought the fuel pump was working....

Any insight on this?

Thanks

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there. Had the same kind of fault a couple of months back. When you switch on the ignition, do you hear an even/steady buzz noise for a few seconds? {i take it you have everything reconnected}.If not,you may have a defective relay/fuel pump.To check this just trace the wire from the pump to the fuel injection rely {behind rear left panel} and using a multimeter,check the voltage when you turn the ignition on.It should be around the 12volt mark. Make sure the pump is connected when you do this, as this creates 'load' on the relay.If you are getting the voltage, you may be looking for a new pump.

Last edited:

Truthalive7

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked voltage with a multimeter on the power plug of the fuel pump, and I get voltage when I turn the on switch on. Also I do not hear the whiz on startup that I hear when I turn on my R1. I think it is bad.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
could be cooked then I suppose. With an open fuel line the pump should run for a least a couple of seconds at each key-on. I think there is an internal pressure switch that acts as a pressure regulator, but not 100% certain.

Check pages 8-50 and 8-51 of the pdf I sent you, that is the fuel pump test procedure. It's pretty similar to what you've already done though. There is a resistance check of the fuel pump listed, it should be 0.2-3 ohms across the terminals of the pump.

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats bad luck mate. I would really try to eliminate everything else before going for a pump as they are serious money.When you powered up the fuel pump with the battery, did you run it for long?

Truthalive7

Reaction score
Visit site
It just kind of jolted and then stopped, like it was trying to run. I also turned it on and hit the starter with everything hooked up but the fuel line running off to the side to see if gasoline squirted out, and I saw nothing....

S

s13browe

check for good grounds on the bike not sure how the frame is grounded but may help your problem some?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the fuel pump, with 12 volts going to it, doesn't turn/spin, it won't supply the pressure to the injectors... There is a relay for it (under the left side pod) however your testing it directly to a 12 volt source is by passing that potential problem.

I don't believe the pump is designed to come apart, is the built in filter clean? If not clean it, tap it some, and try powering it up again, perhaps a piece of junk got caught up in it and you can loosen it enough to spit it out. If it doesn't power up/spin sounds like its toast.

You can check the voltage on the wiring harness (the plug that plugs into the pump-not the fuel gauge) directly with a multi-meter when turning on the ignition, it should show 12 volts. Nevermind, you already did that...

Last edited: