Still a sissy above 8,000 RPM's

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm averaging much higher rpm's but it still seems like I get a lot of torque and speed at lower rpm's. By the time I get up there in 2nd or 3rd I'm way over the speed limit! And I still think it sounds "Hurtful" above 8,000!! I know it will do it but I'm old school. I know this has been mentioned a lot so be nice. Is "erci" still around? He started out around the same time as I did and short shifted as well. And I'm a F1A fan for 15 years and watch the 2.4L V-8's crank 19,000 rpm's every race. I've been out of work for 4 months and almost sold it back to the Dealership last week but I just couldn't!! Something about her just screamed NOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Thanks for listening. (5 beers, LOL!)

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
Find a safe place to open her up and go for it, man! It's way fun in the higher revs. I'm 40, by the way.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
8,000 RPMs is where I 'idle' in traffic. Great for engine breaking if need be, or bolting around traffic. Tends to get the cagers attention (sometimes) when shes all wound up like that too.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a road a half hour from here called Misquito Ridge Road (Google Map it in Placer Co. Ca) anyway I ride over 10 miles in second between 7K rpm and redline the whole way. The bike loves it. Remember it IS made to run at those rpm's. You can do it on flat land but it's way more fun on a twisty road.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Moses* I know where your coming from. I have a hard time when I'm in stop and go traffic and I'm in 1st gear and it sounds like it's screeming. I tend to shift early on my normal riding because like you said before you know it your up to speed and you haven't even gotten out of 2nd gear.

I've done the wrong thing and jumped on my bike when I was angry. :spank: I took it out on the throttle. I was amazed at how the sound seems to change when your in the higher rev's. To me it doesn't sound as loud in the higher RMPs as you might think and I have stock pipes. I try not to ride when I'm angry because I tend to be more aggressive. The one thing it did was get me past that comfort zone I had of not wanting to go above where I would take a car.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the wrong thing and jumped on my bike when I was angry. :spank: I took it out on the throttle. I was amazed at how the sound seems to change when your in the higher rev's. To me it doesn't sound as loud in the higher RMPs as you might think and I have stock pipes. I try not to ride when I'm angry because I tend to be more aggressive.

I remember that was one of the things they taught me in MSF. If you are upset, emotional, or tired - you might not be on top of your game or take bad risks. Glad you are aware of this as well, it's one of those little things that can save your life.

My friend doesn't like to ride his 08 R6 above 5,000 rpms. He thinks it hurts his bike. He does take it up in revs occasionally. He thinks I'm a little crazy using more rpms as I like to cruise around on my ZX6RR at 7,000ish. I've told him the bikes are made to rev and spin at high rpms, but he still likes to do it his way.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember that was one of the things they taught me in MSF. If you are upset, emotional, or tired - you might not be on top of your game or take bad risks. Glad you are aware of this as well, it's one of those little things that can save your life.

My friend doesn't like to ride his 08 R6 above 5,000 rpms. He thinks it hurts his bike. He does take it up in revs occasionally. He thinks I'm a little crazy using more rpms as I like to cruise around on my ZX6RR at 7,000ish. I've told him the bikes are made to rev and spin at high rpms, but he still likes to do it his way.

I went through a similar school when I got my licence and they told me the same thing. About emotions and being tired. One of my instructors had crashed due to falling asleep because she was to tired to be on the road. She had the helmet cut in half to show us what happened to it. On the outside it looked ok, but on the inside it was a different story. It was also a good leason about taking care of your helmet and knowing when to get a new one. Just because they look ok doesn't mean they are.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm averaging much higher rpm's but it still seems like I get a lot of torque and speed at lower rpm's. By the time I get up there in 2nd or 3rd I'm way over the speed limit! And I still think it sounds "Hurtful" above 8,000!! I know it will do it but I'm old school. I know this has been mentioned a lot so be nice. Is "erci" still around? He started out around the same time as I did and short shifted as well. And I'm a F1A fan for 15 years and watch the 2.4L V-8's crank 19,000 rpm's every race. I've been out of work for 4 months and almost sold it back to the Dealership last week but I just couldn't!! Something about her just screamed NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

You're not a sissy. While not recommending it in any way to anyone - if you took deeptekkie's (non-existant) Aggressive Driving Course 101, for those who tend to "baby" their Baby and stray from the big numbers on the tach, here's an excerpt from chapter 2, section 1A that (should) read: To overcome the fear of revving your high performance machine to the limits for which it was designed while still giving reliable and steady service for many years, some (unnamed) riders have been known to: Wind the bike up slightly aggressively in any lower gear to a predetermined pitch and hold it there momentarily. When it sounds like it is revving quite high, (where some motorcycles would be having a near-death experience), grab another handful and wind it up again in a simliar manner. (This may be repeated until you are actually nearing the bike's redline) Use caution in case of unplanned wheelies.
Besides learning to "be the bike" and coming to love the sound of a well-built machine coming into it's own, you are likely to now begin feeling the addiction growing within you to experience this sensation often as well as the knowledge that your bike, (as well as you), are enjoying life.

Seriously, I heard a superbike do this many years ago, (and it does sound "killer"). Just be sure conditions allow it and your engine is warmed up thoroughly. It went something like this:
I was near a highway and this guy pulls out. He winds his machine up really tight. I'm thinking, "Whoa! Listen to that thing redline!" About that time he REALLY opens it, and it's sounding as if the revs have DOUBLED! Man it's really orgasmic by then. (Doppler effect has now maxed-out) For a parting shot he repeats once more just before grabbing another gear and vanishing from sight.
IMO: What causes damage and/or undo wear is running a cold engine hard and/or turning high RPM'S when the engine has no load on it.
Whatever. Take care and enjoy your bike. (Above all be safe)

Last edited:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
The powerband starts at 8,000RPM. If the motor could not take it, Yamaha would not have put the power band between 8-13,5k RPM.

The 8,000RPM mark also shows a bump in the power curve. When I want to overtake or so, I AT LEAST rev it to 8,000RPM.

I take my motor to 12,500RPM 3-4 times a day.

22,000km on clock, still pristine.;)

Peace

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that there are also other factors like inertial torque at higher RPMs that make the behavior of the engine much different. If you are not familiar you may get a surprise so explore responsibly! :rockon:
When she hits her power band, she'll lift the front up!

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm..... I have spent some time above 8,000 rpm but have not had the front end lift up on me yet. Maybe I have not hit it hard enough!
From what I can tell, the Fizzer LOVES higher RPMs. There is a noticeable difference in power and sound once you hit the sweet spot on the tach. Good luck keeping it under the posted speed limit once you test the upper end of the powerband!!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

The thing to remember, is that the engineers that designed this motor knew what they were doing. They balanced a lot of dependencies to arrive at a light, powerful, high revving racing motor.

The little pistons and little valves have much less mass than the components in a V 8 engine. They can be spun to much higher RPM in a safe and controlled manner, as a result.

What destroys engines from high RPM most often, is valve float. With bigger valves (single intake and exhaust) the size of the valve required to get good high end air flow is easily twice the size of the two smaller ones used for equal airflow as in the FZ6 motor. 2 times bigger, means 4 times as much mass.

mass times velocity squared/2 is the formula for kinetic energy.... if two things of different mass are accelerated at the same rate..... the more massive one will have a lot more kinetic energy. Think of a .22 caliber bullet, compared to a .44..... the 44 will knock someone arse over tea kettle, and the .22 won't even feel like a bee sting. A single pellet from a shot gun loaded with bird shot at the same velocity has a tough time punching through sheet rock, due to the mass being so low.

All of the energy put into the valve, to push it open, has to be pulled back out of it to get it to close. Springs do a pretty good job of pushing the valve back out of the piston's way, as it approaches top dead center. You have to use a heavy enough spring to make sure the valve can get out of the piston's way, at the extreme high speed end of the intended RPM use.

If someone pushes the RPM past the design limit, the springs may not be able to move the valve in time.

This is such a critical thing, there is much analysis done to ensure it cannot happen.... the variation in mfg tolerances, stack up analysis, tensile strength of the materials as designed compared to as delivered.... so many things can go wrong, that the design HAS to have 'margin' to ensure it cannot happen.

Staying away from continuous extremely high RPM operation is prudent..... but I would personally be extremely surprised if Yamaha did not do that to the YZFR6 engine in at least one case with a test mule to see how long the motor would last before catastrophic failure..... the accelerated life motor would have been subjected to this at a minimum.

With a rev limiter, the design team can 'increase' their mechanical margin, simply by stopping the motor from spinning any faster.... that gives another level of confidence against harm.

Me personally, I didn't find the FZ to really get any stronger beyond about 11K..... above that, it was about noise rather than acceleration. Knowing that my bike rarely ventured beyond 11K, I know that the valves were not in any danger of float. The main bearings were not in any danger of contact with the crank shaft, or the cam bearings with the cam.

Knowing that I rarely went past 85% of the design limit RPM.... I know the speeds on the valves were low enough that the kinetic energy never came close to over powering the springs on the valves.

If I spent all day riding around in first gear, with the tach spun up to 12K..... I'd eventually thrash the motor. But even that would take a couple of years.

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
i just love the sound from 8-12k rpm. totally different than the 3-8k range. climbing to 10-12kk is an auditory delight as much as a visual one

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!, I'm 50 last week. Been in the open but I guess I shift when it sounds like she's going to explode!!!

Moses, I've got you beat in years by more than I care to share, so I know the "old school" concerns, but believe me, below 8K, you're essentially bogging the motor. It's designed to run all the way up, and even though you'll be convinced you're going to blow the top end off, you won't.

Let it scream!! There's an entirely different bike under you above 8 grand, and yes, there is life after 13,500 as well.

Enjoy! :thumbup: