Sticky ignition barrel

WillFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Recently i've been having trouble with the ignition barrel. The key turns from the steering lock position to the off position no problem most of the time (sometimes is a bit stubborn) but the real problem is turning it from "off" to "on". It just wont go, so i have to keep turning it back and forth a little bit then randomly it will engage then i can start the bike. Takes between 10-20 seconds usually. I've tried the other key to rule that out, but its the same which ever key i use.

Turning the bike to the "off" position from it being on isn't a problem, but then putting it back into the steering lock position is the same - very sticky and very annoying!

Can i put anything down the barrel at all? Was thinking some WD40 or normal oil to lubricate it, or is this a silly idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
mine is the same, i have used some silicone lubricant (the best as far as my research shows), but it's still the same. WD40 will work too, but silicone stuff has water repellent properties and lasts longer

there's a bit of gunk in there so i think the previous owner may have used a graphite lube which i have heard can muck it up a bit.

been trying to figure out if there's a way to clean it out.

i find if i wiggle the key from side to side it seems to help. I've also been cleaning the key each time i remove it to try and slowly get rid of any dirt in there

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to the same topic (it appears to be a common problem that gets asked around here).
I used WD40 but it didn't seem to help, but after using a lock de-icer with lubricant it worked like a dream. I also find that gently pushing the key to the outside (RH side) helps it turn easier.

Good luck solving your problem :thumbup:

Last edited:

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
CRC or wd 40 should work

when u spray it in
let it sit for a min then stick the key in and wiggle it around
spray more!

WD 40 is a water repalant too