Sticky clutch cable.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a problem with my clutch cable. when ever I pull in the clutch lever, or disengage it, it feels rough, kind of sticky. I tried lubing the cable with three different lubes. each time the clutch would feel nice and smooth smooth for a few days then it goes back to being rough. Is it time for a new cable? maybe im doing something wrong?? BTW i have the after market cheap eBay levers. I have tried removing them greasing all the metal parts that are exposed to friction re-installing everything. nothing seems to help.

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have the problem with the original levers? If not, I would guess it is the levers. If they are poor enough quality grease might not help. Or, the cable might need changed. The thing is...cable wear sneaks up on you over time. Then usually someone else tries your lever and says it is stiff or rough, but you don't know until your thinking is reset by this process.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same issue, it is 99.99% the actual cable housing and 0.01% the actual lever assembly.

I removed the upper half of the clutch cable from the handlebar, so that I could open it up in the middle for a better lube. It takes about 1.5 hours and is a crappy job:

1) Remove the little black fairing bits and the seat so that the tank can be lifted up on its hinge.
2) Remove the airbox
3) Remove the clutch cable from the lever assembly by applying pressure on the clutch pivot near the oil filler cap.
4) Remove the upper half of the cable from the attachment thingy (plastic clip) holding it to the frame. Situated inside the frame on the left side, just below the airbox. (Now removed)

You will now notice that the clutch cable outer housing is made up of 2 parts, with a connecting piece in the middle. I found it impossible to remove the whole cable without removing the bike from the 3rd dimension.

If you unscrew these two parts of the outer housing, as attached via adjusting nuts, then you can use that opening in the cable outer housing as a point to apply lube to the lower half of the cable. THE LOWER HALF IS WHAT ACTUALLY MAKES THE CLUTCH OPERATION STICKY!!!

5) The clutch cable will now be relatively exposed at the top (near the lever) and at the middle (lower connecting assembly just discussed).
6) First apply some solvent (chain cleaner etc.) or high pressure aerosol lube. If you apply solvent, you need to leave it overnight to dry. The objective of this step is to clean out the metal filings and other gunk which is preventing the lube from reaching the right areas etc.
7) Lube the top and bottom half of the cable, apply the lube everywhere you deem fit, any excess will seep out over a period of a few days.

Re-assemble the bike. (Sounds easy enough, hahaha!!!!)

I could not believe the change in feel, because the clutch gets sticky over time, you tend not to notice it...

There is a nice write-up with pics on the forum, not sure where...

Peace

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I'd replace the cable. Cheap and easy enough to do, and those cables fray a lot faster than i like.

If the old cable still good, great you can keep it as emergency spare, if it's bad, you made the right decision.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above, if consistent lubing doesn't make the problem go
away, the cable is likely frayed inside the sheathing, or the liner inside
the sheathing worn causing the cable to hang up

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Just pour some wd-40 in the cable opening on both sides, and keep your handlebar turned right and gravity will do its thing ...

Repeat many times for a few days, it might get messy with all that black liquid coming out but it eventually will get smoother!

PS: The other side comes out on the right side of the bike. It has a little rubber sealer to avoid any rain/ particles getting inside the cable. Just pull it towards you to expose the little hole and then spray lots of wd-40 inside the opening. Wait a few sec, pull the lever a few times, let that disgusting stuff come out, spray some more, and then put the sealer back on!

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. Im gonna order a new cable, but also gonna try lifting up the tank and lubing that 2nd part of the cable at the mid cable adjuster. Just to see what happens. once again I really appreciate all the help. Will let you know how everything goes.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I lubed the cable at the lever adjuster and the mid cable adjuster. felt ok then became worst than ever. So I replaced it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!
It cost $34 ob bike bandit including shipping. ordered on the 4th received it on the 9.

Just a note to anyone who needs to replace their lever. be patient and careful. the cable runs through the frame up front the battery housing and to the left. it is a VERY TIGHT fit. I had to remove the battery along with the housing and a clip from the plastic tray under the battery housing. Then I took my time and wriggled it out. Hope it helps someone out. entire job took me about 1.5 hours.